Cracked Co-op Modern Warfare 2 Released

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Cracked Co-op Modern Warfare 2 Released

Within days of release, a hacker has released a cracked multiplayer version of Modern Warfare 2 which reportedly provides the game with dedicated server support.

It was quite the controversy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95584-No-Dedicated-Servers-for-Modern-Warfare-2-PC-Fans-Freak-Out] when Infinity Ward announced that there would be no servers dedicated for the PC version of Modern Warfare 2. It was a triple-slap for PC gamers who would have none of the mod support they had come to expect in an FPS, LANs would only work with an internet connection, and multiplayer matches would use the same matchmaking system that console gamers use. Many predicted that there would be some kind of workaround, but few thought it would come so soon. In fact, a cracked version of MW2 was released on Friday by a coder on the teknogods forums.

According to a report from GossipGamers [http://www.gossipgamers.com/modern-warfare-2-servers-cracked-within-days-after-release/], the crack allows gamers to host games through IWNet, Infinity Ward's multiplayer service, and receive at least some of the benefits of the leaderboards and statistic tracking. GossipGamers also states that all the rooms on the server are working and are full to capacity. You can also host games through a LAN using this crack.

Keep in mind that the crack is completely in violation of Infinity Ward's terms of use and end-user license agreement. We do not condone using such pirated software, but perhaps if it gets enough attention and they see that gamers want the ability to play on their own terms, the company will relent and allow players to host their own games again.

Honestly though, with subscriptions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96129-Call-of-Duty-to-get-WoW-Like-Subscriptions] and the attempted homogenization of PC and console gamers in big games like MW2, I don't see Infinity Ward or Activision backing down anytime soon.

Update: Conflicting information has been released suggesting that the crack only supports cooperative "Spec Ops" with both players logged into Steam, and that full multiplayer and dedicated servers are not yet possible.

Source: GossipGamers [http://www.gossipgamers.com/modern-warfare-2-servers-cracked-within-days-after-release/]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I'm quite surprised at this.

I wasn't expecting it to take a whole week, seriously.
What will be interesting to see will be the general uptake of it and whether it persuades IW (or Activision's money men) to re-intriduce true server support for the PC version. Otherwise we're going to have a two tier MW2 where clanners and hobbyists play one game (and presumably get banned from IW net for modding) whilst everyone else plays the matchmaking and suffers.

Some would probably prefer that segregation of the hardcore from the fun players, but not me, it just blocks people from getting the most out of their game. Which would be a real shame. Especially when so many players get sucked into gaming through their encounters with clan teams (the nice ones).

As an aside
Three cheers for the return of lean!
I love pc gaming.

cross posted from gaming discussion thread

accountdeletethis

Stand-up philosopher
Sep 10, 2008
Ok, I'm at a complete loss as to what the guidelines are to commenting this type of news (I'm assuming you can't support cracking of any sort) - so I'll give contrary statements and cancel them out.

1) "serves 'em right for dropping dedicated servers!"

2) "damn crackers, you shouldn't go around violating end-user licence agreements like that!"

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
Well this was inevitable and one of the reasons why PC gaming is great, people will always hack, crack and mod there way to make the product work for them.

Above

Oct 3, 2009
bbch said:
1) "serves 'em right for dropping dedicated servers!"

2) "damn crackers, you shouldn't go around violating end-user licence agreements like that!"
Hehe,liked the second one :D and yes DAMN THEM for dropping dedicated servers!

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I don't like to condone piracy but at least gamers can mod the game now.
I'm surprised the publisher isn't worried that what they've done to the game wont get more people into pirating: people who usually buy their games might try pirating to get features not in the legit copy.

It might not be a bad thing in the end. Look at what it did to the movie industry: dvds are way cheaper, they come out soon after the theatrical release, and other countries don't have to wait years to see movies released in the states.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
fix-the-spade said:
As an aside
I love pc gaming.

Okay.

I get being upset over lack of mods. I get being upset over lack of dedicated servers. These complaints make sense to me.

But the whole outrage over not being able to lean?

That is easily the most nonsensical complaint I have ever heard. It really boggles my mind. It's like saying "oh no, we don't have the exact same weaponry as we did in the first game." Or like someone complaining that TF2 got rid of grenades.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
I knew this would happen. If you don't do something people want on PC, they'll do that themselves.
Or first they'll crack your protection system and THEN do what they want.
This makes IW looks pathetic.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Or like someone complaining that TF2 got rid of grenades.
I have to disagree with you there. That complaint is totally valid. Half the gameplay of TFC was the grenades. Now, I personally think it was a good decision, it lowered to learning curve, but I can totally see where people were coming from with that complaint.

Thomly

Feb 15, 2009
Just saying:

The info provided is completely wrong.
The coder mentioned in the article released a co-op loader.
Multiplayer does not work, and certainly dedicated servers do not work. You still need to be logged in to steam to use it, but it allows people to play LAN. You have to be logged in to steam to use it, so it only works for people who bought the game.

EDIT: So the only thing the "multiplayer loader" does, is allowing LAN play in spec ops, while logged in to steam.
EDIT 2: The coder also states that the loader is not intended for privacy, only to allow people who have bought the game, to play it LAN.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Naturally, I assume that the people boycotting Modern Warfare 2 still wont be getting this?

I'd hate to have a whole new bag of ammunition to call them hypocrites with.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
fix-the-spade said:
As an aside
I love pc gaming.

Okay.

I get being upset over lack of mods. I get being upset over lack of dedicated servers. These complaints make sense to me.

That is easily the most nonsensical complaint I have ever heard. It really boggles my mind. It's like saying "oh no, we don't have the exact same weaponry as we did in the first game." Or like someone complaining that TF2 got rid of grenades.
Try playing Veteran without it. Seriously.

Crossborder

Oct 16, 2008
Normally i don't approve of hacks and cracks and that stuff, but this is pretty cool. As pretty much everone says: Serves 'em right!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Chaos Marine said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
fix-the-spade said:
As an aside
I love pc gaming.

Okay.

Try playing Veteran without it. Seriously.
And yet, it's obviously still possible....?

Nimbus said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Or like someone complaining that TF2 got rid of grenades.
I have to disagree with you there. That complaint is totally valid. Half the gameplay of TFC was the grenades. Now, I personally think it was a good decision, it lowered to learning curve, but I can totally see where people were coming from with that complaint.
That's not my point, though. It's a completely different game, made with a different set of abilities in mind. To be angry because they decided to not include one ability from the previous game, when they were making it with the assumption that that ability would not be in, feels completely pointless and arbitrary to me.

Jun 11, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
fix-the-spade said:
As an aside
I love pc gaming.

Okay.

Well removing lean is also the most nonsensical removal ever it was completely pointless removing it in the first place and it is a very very handy feature in such a cover oriented game especialy online.

OT: I can't wait to see how this goes and ssee what happens with it.

Thomly

Feb 15, 2009
Thomly said:
Just saying:

The info provided is completely wrong.
The coder mentioned in the article released a co-op loader.
Multiplayer does not work, and certainly dedicated servers do not work. You still need to be logged in to steam to use it, but it allows people to play LAN. You have to be logged in to steam to use it, so it only works for people who bought the game.

EDIT: So the only thing the "multiplayer loader" does, is allowing LAN play in spec ops, while logged in to steam.
EDIT 2: The coder also states that the loader is not intended for privacy, only to allow people who have bought the game, to play it LAN.
Gonna quote myself here since everyone missed it.