Cracked Co-op Modern Warfare 2 Released

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Okay.

I get being upset over lack of mods. I get being upset over lack of dedicated servers. These complaints make sense to me.

But the whole outrage over not being able to lean?

That is easily the most nonsensical complaint I have ever heard. It really boggles my mind. It's like saying "oh no, we don't have the exact same weaponry as we did in the first game." Or like someone complaining that TF2 got rid of grenades.
Ah come on Funk, you're taking that far too seriously. But I'll play devil's advocate.

It's not so much that it was cut that irked so many, but the manner in which they announced it. It's a very neat feature for players to have that takes the pace off of gunfights quite nicely, but it isn't the be all and end all.

The problem was IW's representative just hand waving it by stating the game 'is not balanced for lean,' and asking for no further mention to be made of it. Besides creating an overnight meme [http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=91562] it came across as incredibly lazy. When TF2 lost grenades there was a well thought out reasoning behind it that Valve could call upon to swat down nay-sayers. Here the tone (along with the various other missing features) gave a distinct impression that they simply couldn't be bothered.

The feature in itself isn't particularly important, but it seems to have been taken as a symbol of Infinity Ward turning it's back on PC players who have been buying (and admittedly pirating in great numbers, which may have at least something to do with why) their games for six years and supported them back when they were those people who had left 2015 and EA to make their own games. Although it's a slightly silly view point it's still a common one.

But that's largely irrelevant now, because lean is back and it's awesome.

Thomly

Feb 15, 2009
Ah I see the original news post has been updated with the info I provided.

Good job Escapist staff. :)

EDIT: However, there are also 2 more cracks released, with one crack providing Console access, and another crack allowing pirates to play on the official steam servers, along with the people who payed for it.

(sorry to force you guys to update your post that much xD)

EDIT 2: The coder who provided the co-op loader states he is working on LAN multiplayer without needing to be logged in to Steam, but that would be just to be able to play the game on LAN-parties without internet connection, not to pirate the game. Again it is planned for people who actually BOUGHT it.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
I can see this getting patched within the next twelve hours or so. The fact that you can now crack it just means that these servers will be shut down as soon as they are made. Also if you going to do something like this DON'T TELL ANYONE ON THE INTERNET OF ALL PLACES!

duckfi8

Jan 21, 2009
Any pc game has a torrent, don't they know this?

I am impressed that you can play online without a problem tho.

Jun 15, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
fix-the-spade said:
As an aside
Three cheers for the return of lean!
I love pc gaming.

cross posted from gaming discussion thread
Okay.

I get being upset over lack of mods. I get being upset over lack of dedicated servers. These complaints make sense to me.

That is easily the most nonsensical complaint I have ever heard. It really boggles my mind. It's like saying "oh no, we don't have the exact same weaponry as we did in the first game." Or like someone complaining that TF2 got rid of grenades.
TF2 Used to have nades!! Damn I only started when Goldrush came out!

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
According to what I've heard form multiple sources the cracked game works exactly like the genuine release, multiplayer, spec ops and all.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
I can't really condemn that guy. He added a feature that everyone wanted.
Also, I won't condone anyone that just downloads this hack and didn't already own the game, but I might be more lenient if you buy the game, and then get the hack. (Kinda the same as getting no-cd cracks for games)

loophole

Aug 15, 2009
I think they should let the server stay because its really what the PC gamers who bought cod 6 want and they didnt have to create the server themselves but i can understand why they would want to stop this

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Update: Conflicting information has been released suggesting that the crack only supports cooperative "Spec Ops" with both players logged into Steam, and that full multiplayer and dedicated servers are not yet possible.
Update numero duo: mp has been fully cracked and it's possible to play online with a pirated copy and dedicated servers are back too, we're just having trouble convincing owners of host boxes to join because of fear of activision's retaliation.

LoopyDood

Dec 13, 2008
Chesterfield Snapdragon McFisticuffs said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
fix-the-spade said:
As an aside
I love pc gaming.

Okay.

No, TF2's predecessor did. Valve took them out of TF2 because they made the game not fun :(

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
http://www.destructoid.com/modern-warfare-2-gets-dedicated-servers-via-hack-155250.phtml
Found this on destructoid, looks awesome. People who still don't get it, watch the video. That is why we love dedicated servers.

I wonder if any IW staff are sobbing: "This isn't the way we meant the game to be played! *sob*"

Chipperz said:
Naturally, I assume that the people boycotting Modern Warfare 2 still wont be getting this?

I'd hate to have a whole new bag of ammunition to call them hypocrites with.
They would be hypocrites if it wasn't extremely likely that these servers will be taken down within a week. However, if IW comes out and says they don't mind this, I'll buy MW2 in a jiffy (or at least put it on my Xmas list).

Chesterfield Snapdragon McFisticuffs said:
Relax, he means TF2 got rid of grenades in TFC. TF2 never had grenades (except for the demoman, of course).

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:

BUT WE CAN NO LONGER NADE SPAM BAAAAAAW

Honestly, TF2 is great without grenades: hell, I'd say that WITH grenades, it would be a lot worse.

Yeah, I never got the complaints about lean either. The whole concept sounded ridiculous to me in the first place. Shooting around corners? Sounds like a recipe for ridiculous camping.

Gotta love how somebody earlier in the thread said "try playing Veteran without it" when I have all the achievements for the game save beating the final plane mission on Veteran. I did all of that without lean.

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
Honestly, I saw this coming ever since the original announcement of no dedicated server support. Though I still won't be playing it until Infinity Ward is willing to add in the support.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
gee i just found the manual to program the fucking vcr (VIDEO CASSETTE RECORDER ) the thing that uses a brick of plastic with sensitive magnetic tape ... just your parents or google it ... oh sry ... there is always somebody with way too much time on their hands ... but both sides are wrong

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
CantFaketheFunk said:
fix-the-spade said:
As an aside
I love pc gaming.

Okay.

I don't see the issue; the man just wants to be able to lean.

TMAN10112

Jul 4, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Update: Conflicting information has been released suggesting that the crack only supports cooperative "Spec Ops" with both players logged into Steam, and that full multiplayer and dedicated servers are not yet possible.
...Aww, I was almost going to buy Modern Warfare 2 because of this crack.

Oh well, maybe some day...

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
I would so get this, but I don't want to remotely risk getting banned by Steam. I've got hundreds of ? worth of games in there.

Jan 23, 2009
Haha, the Warez and pirate communities have their panties in a twist over MewTwo - they can't crack IWNET... heh