Craigslist Videogame Scammers About To Face Court

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
The risk you take with scamming, if you don't go big enough before you're caught you risk a fine instead of a commendation.

Roander

Dec 27, 2009
poiumty said:
How to have infinite money:

-acquire valuable object
-tell people you'll sell it to them
-take money but don't give object
-repeat for INFINITE MONEY!
Step 1 is not necessary.

I'm curious about how much the scammers were offering these things for. People usually fall for stupid scams like this when the deal is 'too good to be true'. If they were selling systems for less than they could get from gamestop it screams either scam or stolen merchandise. Almost makes me inclined to agree with GreatTeacherCAW.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I've been trying to imagine what the world would be like if fraud were not illegal. It is an interesting mind experiment.

Right now fraud is technically illegal but you can get away with it for so long like these guys that it might as well not be the case.

Caveat Emptor and all that. 1-200 to learn you can't trust anyone is in my opinion a fairly cheap lesson, and the scamees should be grateful that they finally learned it.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
If they'd only scammed more people they'd be able to afford a lawyer who could get them off on this case.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Canid117 said:
A lawsuit? Why not throw them in prison for fraud?
Fraud usually gets you fines unless it's above a certain dollar amount, when it becomes felony fraud. But it's usually a civil matter for smaller-scale stuff like these scams.

What I don't get is who falls for these scams any more. Heck, even in MMO's you don't mail people things and then expect them to pay you. Wire transfers, unlike, say, credit card payments, can't be canceled/stopped once you send them off.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
The cynic in me is ecstatic: people who get scammed on craigslit have no right to money anyway. They obviously lack the necessary intelligence to be able to retain their money, and if it isn't via craigslit, they will lose it another way. Seriously, what the fuck, people? Whenever anyone is contacted though a craigslist posting, this is the first thing they see:
** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
[HEADING=1]** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
[/HEADING]
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

Retards. All of them.