Dec 19, 2009
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/107334/cuts-at-radical-entertainment

http://twitter.com/2wicky/status/8978782280

http://www.radical.ca/

RIP Crash Bandicoot
8/31/96 - 2/11/10

presidentjlh

Feb 10, 2010
Didn't even get to survive puberty. Ah, tis a shame.

Oh well, let's bury the little furball and move on, the series had died quite a few years ago anyways.

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
Could you go into more detail, maybe summarize the articles?

I'm sorry, but I only want to have to click on something once to learn what I need to know.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Pretty much, Activision decided to lay off around 90 people. A good chunk of the 90 people were people in the Crash team.

No Crash team = No Crash

D:

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
I thought he died around the time Crash Bash came out 10 years ago... oh well.

THEMILKMAN

Jun 16, 2009
Crash Bandicoot died as soon as Naughty Dog stopped making it...*sniff* I was mad to see Crash games turn into shit, I pretty much grew up on those games way back on PS1.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Well I don't know how you can say a fictional character died. Fictional characters can never really die, even if they're killed off in their respective stories they can always be revived in some incarnation or other or simply by retcon. Just because the series is not currently active or the company the created it has gone belly up, doesn't mean some other company won't revive it later. ...for better or for worse.

presidentjlh

Feb 10, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Well I don't know how you can say a fictional character died. Fictional characters can never really die, even if they're killed off in their respective stories they can always be revived in some incarnation or other or simply by retcon. Just because the series is not currently active or the company the created it has gone belly up, doesn't mean some other company won't revive it later. ...for better or for worse.
Well, let's be honest, Sonic is close to death, and Crash Bandicoot hasn't been in a notable game for a while now.

The lifespan of a fictional video game character is like this:

Birth: Breakthrough, fresh, exciting video game. Original
Childhood/teenage years: Sequels, but still canon
Adult years: Non-canon games, but they still have a story and whatnot.
Elderly: Games that are based around multiplayer minigames.
Death follows soon after.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
presidentjlh said:
canadamus_prime said:
Well, let's be honest, Sonic is close to death, and Crash Bandicoot hasn't been in a notable game for a while now.

Yes, but I maintain that they never do actually die, they just go dormant. Characters and franchises we've once thought long dead have been revived years afterwards, again for better for for worse; presumably because developers are running out of ideas. Eg. Bionic Commando.

ShakesZX

Nov 28, 2009
The_Logician19 said:
Could you go into more detail, maybe summarize the articles?

I'm sorry, but I only want to have to click on something once to learn what I need to know.
I think the thread title summarizes pretty well

presidentjlh

Feb 10, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
presidentjlh said:
canadamus_prime said:

Yes, but I maintain that they never do actually die, they just go dormant. Characters and franchises we've once thought long dead have been revived years afterwards, again for better for for worse; presumably because developers are running out of ideas. Eg. Bionic Commando.
I guess you've got a point there. They do tend to remain dormant, but I think we can consider that dormancy to be the "death" of a video game character, even if only temporary.

Why not? They can die and come back to life in their games.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Well, at least he can rest in peace instead of being forced theu another hundred attempts to re-boot the franchise.

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
Crash has been dead to me ever since he changed from Naughty Dog. They turned his games into crappy combat games for God's sake!

Dragon_of_red

Dec 30, 2008
NOOOOOOOOOOO

wait... i havent played any of their new games anyway, i stopped after Crash Bash i think, that or crash team racing, i cant remember which was first.