Creating your video game

Siyano

May 9, 2020
Country
Canada
Hello, recently I had so much free time and since I have some knowledge in programming I wanted to start and create a game, I want to try to get step by step.
I want to take inspiration of Slay the Spire and have a "deck building adventure" game.
So the idea is to do these step:
1) obviously start quite very basic, barely any visual and card that are just block and attack,
question I have is, how do you code like a deck where you have card that have different effect, is there some kind of template that would help
2) then from there have an enemy adding turn based combat
Then if I get to that I would be happy :p

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Oh games programming! I do that occasionally. ...before I lose interest because there is a hurdle to get past that I cannot figure how to get past, leaving the projects to collect dust on the hard drive.

I actually tried creating a card battling game in Unity at one point (intending to copy Card City Nights but with a twist). How one goes about creating it depends on what engine one uses, but if you intend to use Unity, the way I started was to watch a step by step guide for creating the card game Solitaire on YouTube and then from that figure out how to implement a card battling version. That taught me how to implement a deck of cards that can be shuffled in Unity. But since you explicitly mentioned Slay the Spire I tried searching YouTube for "unity card game slay the spire" without quotation marks, and one of the first hits I got was this video. I cannot say if it is a good one and if it is worth over an hour of watching.

Apart from that: there is a game jam called Ludum Dare where people have 48 hours to create a game. Occasionally they make card games, and as part of the contest they must host the source code. Since it's made in 48 hours they cannot make anything too advanced, so looking for games of that jam might give you a template to work from.

Reactions: Siyano

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Hello, recently I had so much free time and since I have some knowledge in programming I wanted to start and create a game, I want to try to get step by step.
I want to take inspiration of Slay the Spire and have a "deck building adventure" game.
So the idea is to do these step:
1) obviously start quite very basic, barely any visual and card that are just block and attack,
question I have is, how do you code like a deck where you have card that have different effect, is there some kind of template that would help
2) then from there have an enemy adding turn based combat
Then if I get to that I would be happy :p
Go and watch every single episode of Yahtzee’s Dev Diary. You don’t need to agree with anything he says, but hey, information is information.

Otherwise; God speed you mad bastard and best of luck.