Creative Assembly (Total War) has acquired the right to make Warhammer Fantasy Battle games.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Phaerim said:
I predict:

Chaos
High Elves
Empire
Orcs & Goblins

The absolutely most BORING armies of the Warhammer Universe will be playable leaving interesting armies such as Skaven, Lizardmen, Vampire Counts and Ogre Kingdoms forever in neglect, as is per usual of every single Warhammer franchise game. I will probably not buy it. Again. Still favour Dawn of War over ANY warhammer game ever released. I know it is in the 40K setting, but it actually adapted the tabletop campaign rules, that I really enjoyed in my time as a Warhammer player.
Rather pessimistic of you... if you've played any of the TW titles, you'll realise that aside with such a massive pallette, TW:WHF in its first incarnation will have closer to ten playable factions (if Rome, M2 and Empire are anything to go by, though with the latter, they rather dropped the ball on it). They'll most likely milk it for all its worth and chuck in expansions (for faction specific campaigns and smaller world-maps) but hey, I don't mind that.

OT: Uh... to me... about fucking time... >_> ... <_< ...

GunsmithKitten said:
But still guys, I love this franchise...do not..fuck...this...up....
*starts praying*

veloper said:
That's basicly the game that the CA have been churning ever since the first shogun total war, minus the global strategic layer.
I realise you say 'the good way'... but the 'global strategic layer' does constitute more than two thirds of the general gameplay in any given TW, after all... *shrug*

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
Vedrenne said:
@ TheBelgianGuy, is the title better now? :)
GunsmithKitten said:
No! It needs to be bigger, coloured, flashy and have my name in it! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Uhm yeah, thanks :p Just to avoid confusion, 'cuz people were already thinking they'd get another 40k game ;)

Phaerim said:
I predict:

Chaos
High Elves
Empire
Orcs & Goblins

The absolutely most BORING armies of the Warhammer Universe will be playable leaving interesting armies such as Skaven, Lizardmen, Vampire Counts and Ogre Kingdoms forever in neglect, as is per usual of every single Warhammer franchise game. I will probably not buy it. Again. Still favour Dawn of War over ANY warhammer game ever released. I know it is in the 40K setting, but it actually adapted the tabletop campaign rules, that I really enjoyed in my time as a Warhammer player.
Even though I field an Empire gunline army in tableop, I agree. No chance to play as the Von Carstiens=No Sale.
No love for halbs & demigryphs?!

I doubt they'll have only 4 factions. At the very least, these games are somewhat moddable, so any race not in it could be modded in? Well, I'm sure they'd try to sell'em as DLC first, though.

halfeclipse

Nov 8, 2008
Phaerim said:
I predict:

Chaos
High Elves
Empire
Orcs & Goblins

Grab a copy of a game count the number of units in the unit table and you'll find there's usually more units for one faction then warhammer has period.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Jynthor said:
Been a 40K fan for a long time but never really got into Warhammer Fantasy, I like Total War games so hopefully it will be a reason to get into it.
Fantasy is a very different game, though the system is not unlike the Total war games (with regimented blocks and charges and bonuses for size, downhill charging, flanks, potential chain routing and all that good stuff). i only just began building vampire counts (and can field only about 500 points or so), but im enjoying it. its worth trying out i say, even if you just want to paint some different models which are also very super awesome.

But yeah, back on topic...

FUCKING YES! Fantasy and the creative assembly were BORN for each-other. I hope they include the majority if not all of the factions, and some of the really fun units form said factions, but i can see balance and the resources needed for all that being a problem.

But one thing i think they really need to do is allow visual customization options for each army. Not even huge hings like different unit models to fit a theme, just color and minor lighting effects (like say an aura of magic around skeleton warriors). In the hobby they are drawing from, Army customization visually is a huge HUGE part of the draw.

also, im interested on how they will handle magic in the game(s). Only time will tell, but there is only one thing for certain.

The game(s) that result from this partnership will. Be. Fucking. AWESOME

Geth Reich

Sep 16, 2012

HOLY FUCKING FETH YES! YES YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES!!!!!!

I've been desperate for a Warhammer Total War for longer then I can remember and even if they don't make that and go along the Spartan: Total Warrior lines that'll be more fucking awesome then I can possibly describe!

PRAISE SIGMAR!!!

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
TrevHead said:
Ever since I played Shogun 1 I wished Creative Assembly would make a Fantasy Battle game since both are all about epic large scale battles.

It's good that 40K is staying in Relic's hands since they are the best ppl for small scale RTS.

If Skaven and Undead armies aren't included i'll be pissed.

Now if only Relic would do a Battlefleet Gothic RTS i'ld be a totally happy chappy.
I dont know if they are the right guys for BFG, though ive not played it myself i have a decent idea of how it works. On the other hand they weren't the right people to make Space Marine (an rts company making a shooter? who the hell thought that was a good idea?), but that turned out VERY well.

But to my original question i intended to ask, which undead army do you want them to include? tomb kings or vampires?

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
halfeclipse said:
Phaerim said:
I predict:

Chaos
High Elves
Empire
Orcs & Goblins

Grab a copy of a game count the number of units in the unit table and you'll find there's usually more units for one faction then warhammer has period.
by warhammer you mean the videogames they made? because WHFB has a SHIT TON of units, thanks in no small part to 15 or so factions

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
veloper said:
Recycling an old idea the good way. A long time ago there was this warhammer regimental based RTS game called Dark Omen.
That's basicly the game that the CA have been churning ever since the first shogun total war, minus the global strategic layer.
But before then there was a classic by the name of Shadow of the horned rat. One of the hardest games I've ever played.

Pretty similar to Dark Omen but you were extremely limited in the number of recruits you could get (if any).

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I already commented on the main News post, but still.

SO. DAMN. EXCITED.

They've announced nothing and I'm still hyped. I'm ready for this, Creative Assembly. Please, give me my Skaven horde and my Chaos warbands and let me crush the world.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
If it's like Medieval 2...and they have a couple dozen factions...and all kinds of units...and they just model everything and don't ass too much about balance, just throw it all in there in a big glorious stew...bone up the role playing elements...

Oh dear, I have shit my pants. Do excuse me.

beniki

May 28, 2009
Phaerim said:
I predict:

Chaos
High Elves
Empire
Orcs & Goblins

Well, maybe not High Elves... considering the map of Warhammer, it's more likely to be a big scrap between all the Old World factions, with maybe the Empire being broken down into smaller chunks. Orcs as a faction are going to be a pain in the arse to do, simply because they're not well known for holding on to territory. But I guess they could always bring back the horde rules they had from the Medieval expansions.

Skaven are equally problematic, since they exist under all the other races. But with the dwarves around, I guess they could justify a double layer map, with rapid movement tunnels at opening at certain city hubs.

Personally, I'd like to see the Wood Elves and Bretonians, but I very much doubt they'll be around... despite the relative ease of a Bretonian faction. On the other hand, Total War do love their ranged based factions...

Diplomacy will be fun as hell though. I'd love the chance to make an Orc nation built on trade and diplomacy!

halfeclipse

Nov 8, 2008
Quazimofo said:
halfeclipse said:
Phaerim said:
I predict:

Chaos
High Elves
Empire
Orcs & Goblins

by warhammer you mean the videogames they made? because WHFB has a SHIT TON of units, thanks in no small part to 15 or so factions
GunsmithKitten said:
halfeclipse said:
You sure you counted that right? I got the Empire splatbook right here, let's see...

LORD CLASS
Arch Lector
Balthasar Gelt
Emporer Karl Franz
General of the Empire
Grand Theogenist
Kurt Helborg
Templar Grand Master
Wizard Lord

HERO CLASS
Battle Wizard
Captain of the Empire
Ludwig Shwartzhelm
Luthor Huss
Master Engineer
Warrior Priest

TROOPS
Archers
Artillery Crewman
Crowssbowman
Flagellant
Free Company Fighter
Great Cannon
Greatsword
Halberdier
Helblaster Volley Gun
Helstorm Rocket Battery
Knight
Knight of the Inner Circle
Spearman
Swordsman
Mortar
Outrider
Pistolier
Steam Tank

And again, this is just the Empire. Multiply that by the High Elves, Dark Elves, Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Bretonnians, Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts, Chaos (both Demon and Warrior based), Ogre Kingdoms, and Dwarves, assuming 32 per faction. Is there a faction in Dawn of War or 40k that has over 352 unit types?

Pretty sure I was refering to the total war games, espesacily since thats where his concern was. I mean really how does that comment being to make sense in the context of dawn of war?

TO answer your question: I wasn't including hero and lord units (TW doesn't have a direct expy of them, but it wouldn't be overly hard to put in a unique general unit etc for that effect). But using your numbers that's something like 187 in the game as a whole. That might be a little less common and will probbaly need you to go conquire some things first, but I can easily see you having access to that depending on the game and faction (later TW games have muuuuch higher unit counts.)

To lazy to go count, but put it this way: Rome: Total War saved unit info as plain text. Export_descr_unit.txt is 341 KB and more then 9000 lines long, and being in plain text it was very, very easy to add units

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
When Creative Assembly decides to stop being asses and give us full modding support, come back to me and I'll gladly throw money at my screen. (Time to play some Blood Bowl)

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Was listening to the transition [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wH6FARq2ho] when I read this news. This is excellent, really excited to see what they do with Warhammer Fantasy.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
Best video game news I have heard in a long time.

I was just thinking to myself earlier that it would be great if the next Total War game was more of a fantasy game, but highly detailed like Medieval 2 or Shogun 2, with lots of factions and a great world map.

I can't think of a better way to do it then use Warhammer Fantasy.

My favorite factions are, Bretonnia, All three Elf factions, Empire, Dwarves, Skaven, Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings.