Creative Uses For Junk Hardware

jmd102993

Mar 6, 2009
ive come into possesion of 2 semi-old/old (2002) CD drives, and i know i cant realy sell them for too much, and i feel odd just throwing them out, so ive been trying to think of what i could do creativly with them, best idea ive thought of is taking out the laser and hooking it up to a car battery, but im still trying to find ideas, what can the craziest minds of the escapist contribute?

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
this one time I was being burgled and i killed the guy with a vacuum cleaner that didn't work properly.

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
Build a bridge out of them!

Seriously though, no idea, rip their guts out and turn them into jewelry/accesories?

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Rig 'em to continuously open and close, set them up facing each other, start the robot wars?

Nbasa Whiteye

May 27, 2010
Insert them both into your current computer and just attach the power cables not the data cables and presto you got two retractable cup holders :)

the only other thing i can think of is to attach way more power then it is designed for so the motors for the tray open and close it really fast and thus creating your own cigar clipper (or can smashers).

Oh oh or convert the tray so it shoots out broken cds at high velocity :)

On other thought just give them to me :)

Aur0ra145

Elite Member
May 22, 2009
Shooting gallery, all day long. This is especially sweet when the damn printer is acting up and shoots ink onto you, so you take it outside and light it up with various assault rifles and shotguns, and yes; I'm speaking from experience.

Inversely you could make some type of modern art stuff out of old hardware.

Sep 6, 2009
Nbasa Whiteye said:
Insert them both into your current computer and just attach the power cables not the data cables and presto you got two retractable cup holders :)

the only other thing i can think of is to attach way more power then it is designed for so the motors for the tray open and close it really fast and thus creating your own cigar clipper (or can smashers).
Yeah pretty much that.

Or also place them in random places with the power cables attached so that you have CD drives in walls and such as retractable cup holders all over the house.

justcallmeslow

Dec 18, 2009
crimson5pheonix said:
Rig 'em to continuously open and close, set them up facing each other, start the robot wars?
this, but call it modern art. Sell it to some gallery for hundreds of thousands of a currency of your choice. The Tate Modern would probably get it, judging by some of the crap they have in there.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Once in high school we made a small car out of 4 floppy drives. take them apart and hook them up so the platters spin and the thing drives away! It was fun.

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
Arachon said:
Rip their guts out and turn them into jewelry/accesories?
I did this with a broken DVD layer, trying to get a DVD out. Having extracted my precious film, I set about using the guts to make cool add-ons to all sorts of things. I'm in the process of making some steampunky goggles with bits of machinery built in...

Jun 13, 2009
Attach them to pets or bottle rockets. For maximum effect, do them both. In that order.

Disclaimer: Do not attach to pets and bottle rockets at the same time.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
I have a CD drive keeping a chair up (without it, it would fall and make whoever is sitting in it at the time look silly).