Creepiest Moments You've Had... in Non-Horror Games

MrShowerHead

Jun 28, 2010
Denamic said:
Another Dark Souls moment.
The first time I entered the Ash Lake. The atmosphere is just amazingly uncomfortable. You feel so small and out of place. It's not like it's a hard place with difficult enemies or anything; it's just chilling.
It was a pretty haunting feeling when entering there for the first time. The area was simply so vast, bigger than Anor Londo I presume. The music is what hit me the most. Dunno why but with the music playing and seeing the Everlasting Dragon, it almost made me feel sorry for all the dragons that were killed during the war in the Age of Ancients. Also with the lake being the only place left untouched by the beginning of the Age of Fire, it was great to see how the world looked a long time ago.

Mocmocman

Dec 4, 2012
Zeles said:
A Valve game (Can't remember which), I started up a Valve game, I think L4D or L4D2, and the logo with the man with a valve in his head started to turn and look at me, before snapping back to his normal position. I had never noticed that before, and it seriously freaked me out.
That's a newer thing with that logo. In Left 4 Dead he didn't move but Left 4 Dead 2 he did. I freaked me out too, I wasn't used to him moving like that.
Captcha:
It's Super Delicious

The Hero Killer

Aug 9, 2010
The intro video for the first stage on Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, where she was describing the Dinozoids or whatever they were called actually made me scared to fight them. Also, the introduction to Oblivion from the same game.

Fighting the underwater squid things and the wampas from Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

First encounter with ReDeads on Ocarina of Time.

Running from the Chainsaw Gardener on Castlevania 64

Most of my examples are from the N64 era since I was fairly young then.

tin_man_B5

Jan 27, 2012
Some from Command and Conquer:

From the Tiberium series:

-Tiberium: This alien substance can kill you in little time without treatment, for which there is none;

-Visceroids: Lumps of mutated humans fused into a single entity, hard to kill (at least in the old games), and will spit Tiberium at you;

-Any of the mutants you find in the later levels of Renegade: they are fast and kil you in few hits.

From the Red Alert series:

-Chrono Leggionaire: He basically erases you from time, as if you never existed;

-Terror Drones: Small machines developed for dismantling vehicles that were converted to destroy enemy vehicles and kill enemy soldiers;

-Desolators: In RA2 they carry a radiation cannon that kill infantry in seconds. The RA3 version of the desolators, they are terminaly ill people put in suits (almost like a Big Daddy from Bioshock) and carry chemical launchers.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
I`m curently replaying Sleeping Dogs and just had the pleasure to do the Karaoke hostess (Tiffany) side missions.
The first time felt uncomfortable, this time i roleplayed it creepy for the heck of it. Below is a little guide containing side mission spoilers.

A Triad pal will tell you that Tiffany is cheating on you and Wei doesn`t hesitate to use his police equipment for his personal needs and bugs a public phone booth for information. After gathering the knowledge your Triad pal will appear at the doorstep to tell Wei where to look for Tiffany and her new guy. The final confrontation is at a little park. Wei mentions that he`s in the triads to scare off the boyfriend and Tiffany tells Mr. Undercover that he started it. Wei asks for a second chance but get`s dropped.

If the missons itself aren`t creepy enough and you want to be more than a sick stalker you can do this:
Make sure you don`t date until you`ve met Amanda, Tiffany and "not"Ping. Start dating with Tiffany and then the other two to make sure you cheat her at least twice. Then start the side missons regarding Tiffany. At the misson end and your "offering" of a second chance don`t let her walk away. Grab her, give her one in the face and break her leg. If you carry a gun you could make sure she will never cheat again by shooting her two times in the head. Then search for her new guy (or the npc model of him). Grab him and throw him right in front of a bus or from a higher place. Congratulations now you promoted yourself from sick stalker to cheating sick stalking murderer.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
blank0000 said:
Metroid Prime:
The sequence where you first meet the chozo ghosts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INM66Af9lzg
I was going to say the part in Pendhrana when you're in the Space Pirate base and all the lights suddenly go out, Metroids start bursting out of their containers, and there's that tense atmospheric music playing at all times.

But now that you mention it the Chozo ghosts were probably scarier. I avoided fighting them whenever possible.

And of course there's this.

WHAT THE FUUU... oh that's not it's face.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
That one demon door in Fable 2 with the city... I think it was called Bloodstone?
Anyway, its a nice looking peaceful home with birds chirping and trees everywhere. When you walk up close to it suddenly its all dark, house has burnt down and everything is dead. That scared the hell out of me the first time.
Also when you are young and you have to get the music box again at night. That was terrifying.

Willinium

Jun 2, 2011
Do sections with the Falmer and charus count? If so than I ust say Frostfall Lighthouse. What happens in there is creepy and worthy of a full fledged horror movie. Here's what happens you walk on into a likely shelter from the storm when you see desolation in front of you, . . A slaughtered Redguard women on a broken table blood everywhere ad a charus dead infront of the fireplace. There are diary's strewn throughout the lighthouse that tell you this family's last moments. By far the 2nd creepiest thing i've found in Skyrim.

McFazzer

Apr 22, 2012
In Mass Effect 3. The first time the room is dark and you use your gun flashlight? I figured "Something HAS to be in there waiting to jump out at me" and the creepiest bit? Nothing did... I was so twitchy at that bit, eyes wide and everything. So I was a little disappointed.

YazBar

Jun 23, 2010
CandideWolf said:
Although it is a dark game, it's not necessarily horror, so I would say the first part of the Tower of Latria in Demon's Souls. Dark level, crazy people both dead and alive popping out of iron maidens, those squid... things, and the lady merchant's ominous singing made me afraid to go to sleep that night.

Dark souls was considerably less scary, but the Great Hollow, while not scary, definitely had an air of uncertainty and dread around it, possibly because the entire journey down it was more or less pointless.
The worst part of that experience were the bells that the squid guys carried around, that "twing... twing..." in the distance really created a tense atmosphere, especially when you hear it frantically ringing behind you.

YazBar

Jun 23, 2010
Willinium said:
Do sections with the Falmer and charus count? If so than I ust say Frostfall Lighthouse. What happens in there is creepy and worthy of a full fledged horror movie. Here's what happens you walk on into a likely shelter from the storm when you see desolation in front of you, . . A slaughtered Redguard women on a broken table blood everywhere ad a charus dead infront of the fireplace. There are diary's strewn throughout the lighthouse that tell you this family's last moments. By far the 2nd creepiest thing i've found in Skyrim.
What would the 1st most creepiest thing be?

GamerAddict7796

Jun 2, 2010
We'll do a walkthrough of the creepiest thing in gaming:

Ooooh a Vault eh? 108? Cool!

Wow, this Vault sure is rusty! Hey, a locked door. May have some good loot!

"Gaaaaaaary..."

What? Probably nothing. Now let's get these sensor modules and look for some Vault suits to add to the collection.

"GARY!"

What?

"GARY!"

Okay, I'm going. >open door<

"GAAAAAAAAAARYYY!!!"

WHOA, WHO THE HELL ARE YOU! AHHHH! NO, THERE ARE MORE?!

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
Lilani said:
Yes! I'm the first to post it!

I see your laugh and raise you the japanese version. Fear the crow

On topic I can't think of many at the moment so I'll go with one I had when playing Assassin's Creed 3. There's some pretty bad coding for your mentor, Achilles, in the game to the point when I had 2 of him in the same room practically having a conversation. I thought that was bad until the scene where you bury him after he dies, left me sad that he'd died and he wouldn't be around anymore...he was alive in his chair talking to me in his house. Right after I buried him he was there, I go outside his grave is there.

Ruined the moment and made me run the hell away from that house

slippereend

Jan 4, 2011
Maybe not the creepiest, but it was the least expected in my case.
the silent realms in legend of zelda; skyward sword o_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCsvp3hXrk0

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I don't care what anyone else says, when I saw this thing...

I lost my shit. Thing's damn creepy. Although the scariest part is how everyone dismisses it as a viable threat and just goes about their business.

Mikejames said:
Well, Dreamfall at its heart is a fantasy, but there are some Ring-esque transitions.
Curses, this was going to be my response!

I'm playing Dreamfall again now and I have to say I find some of the character's really creepy, mostly the way that ONLY their mouth moves when they talk. There are some exceptions and I know it's down to technical limitations at the time but... damn.

Also, totally excited about Dreamfall Chapters. That's a project I was happy to help fund.

Mister Spaceman said:
Heh, now I have a reason to play Fable 3.
No, there's never an adequate reason to play Fable 3.

GamerAddict7796 said:
"GAAAAAAAAAARYYY!!!"
This. The Gary vault was the definition of horror.

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
Terminate421 said:
Fallout 3, this building

The Dunwich Building

Seriously. This place gives me the chills:

And the basement OH GOD THE BASEMENT
Ah f**k you just had to remind me. I haven't played the game in forever but I remember a settlement north of it with only two people (with the girl who is crazy for Nuka-cola), and the other guy who was there talked about it, something along the lines of "That place has a bad mojo about it, stay the hell away." Me, being the idiot vault dweller that I am, decided to go anyway.

Damn you Bethesda for putting a bobble head at the end of the basement if you wanted to 100 percent it, DAMN YOU!

flakmagnet

Jan 26, 2011
Funny, plenty of people mentioning Bioshock, but neither of my two freakiest parts -

First, the dentist's office. I tried to get a good youtube clip, but watching it has nothing on playing it. I was playing so carefully, making sure a room was fully clear before picking up goodies. I picked up the tonic, knowing I was safe, I turned back round and BAM there he was, like some grinning homicidal maniac. freaked me out for ages.

And the morgue, with the lights flickering and the splicer going through all the containers to sneak up on you. Freaked me right out!

Willinium

Jun 2, 2011
@Yaz

Well the creepiest thing I've found in game was a glitch I honestly do not know how or why it happened. Hell it wasn't even scary just creepy. Here's what happened I was walking out of the general shop in Whiterun where upon I encountered a guard spouting memes at me, sweet-roll arrow in knee excetera, wanting o avoid him I turned around to go the other way when the guards voice sounded amplified and so I turned around whereupon I found 50 guards walking to me in sync still spewing memes. Again not scary but very unsettling, if anyone can tell me why or how this happened please tell me

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Terminate421 said:
Fallout 3, this building

The Dunwich Building

Seriously. This place gives me the chills:

And the basement OH GOD THE BASEMENT
Goddammit, ninja'd.

Yeah, that's pretty much my awnser. Bonus point if you go there at lvl 6 by accident.