Creepiest things that have ever happened to you?

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
I live in an old Victorian house in some obscure part of south west England. When I was little I got freaked out a couple of times. But recently (im about 18) I really did get quite worried.

It started with a sound like audio feedback. A sort of hum. It wasnt a real problem at first, but it was really out of place in the silence. I have grown used to hearing footsteps up the stars when somebody visits, or the sound of cars going by outside. You know, sounds steadily get closer and I have plenty of time to figure out whats going on. This sound would just start up anywhere nearby with no warning. So I would be tense, try to find the source of the noise, and then it would be gone after a few mins. Maybe a day or two would go by and it would show up again, humming like a microphone. Me and my mother searched the room and found no source of the interference. This went on for a month, I wondered if my mother was listening in on my conversations or something with a radio. But that is just paranoia setting in. Eventually it stopped, no reason, no explanation. I still cant see what happened.

Another thing, thanks to that episode of doctor who with the weeping angels I now cant stop perceiving inanimate objects as alive. And my mum owns a shop, full of bloody manikins. Even better was when she grew a fondness for cardboad cut-outs of celebrities. Yeah I pretty much needed to stay upstairs all night for the sake of my sanity. A humanoid shadow is one thing, a full human being is another.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
last year, I just got back home from camping. In my room falling asleep when my xbox turned itself on. I went and turned it off, but when I was in bed again both my laptop and my iPod docking station turned on as well.

Needless to say I was super freaked out and slept with the light on...

NicolasMarinus

Sep 21, 2009
Sleeping in a 15-storey abandoned boarding school and hearing the elevator go up in the middle of the night. Just once.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
The only thing I can remember off the top of my head is this one when I was in a house in the countryside. I slept in a room with two bunk beds, both of them with one person sleeping in each bunk. And I couldn't get to sleep. So, at one point, I looked down at my feet, over the edge of the bunk bed, staring at the wall with some poster with the alphabet on it, when, suddenly, some black man-shaped mass pokes its head over the edge. I looked as it climbed up the bunk bed's one end (the ladder wasn't on the side, it was at the end of it), and then sort of crawled over me.

Everything around went dark, as I concentrated on his face, for some reason, and suddenly, he threw his hands around my neck, and started strangling me, very hard, raising my head while his hands swayed, adamantly stuck to my neck.

I was there for a while, being strangled, shitting my pants. The worst thing was that usually dreams are always like thoughts; you can imagine them to some extent, but they aren't as vivid as real life. Well, this was, I even felt how I moved my limbs a bit, and couldn't breathe.

And suddenly, it all sort of blacked out, white sparks started shooting around the side of my vision when I closed my eyes, and I opened them, and felt that my throat hurt like a ************. I was scared out of my wits, trying to look down at my feet again. Needless to say, getting back to sleep was...hard.

I'm a bit scared of sleeping in bunk beds ever since.

Nouw said:
Not too sure, but I love reading these! Turns out I am now shitting myself, thanks guys.
Yeah, this thread is fucking ace, thanks guys!

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Love these threads, but I never have anything good to contribute to them, I'll give it a bash though.

I have wind chimes that jingle really loudly hanging above the outside of my back door, the side of the house my room is on with my window facing into the back garden, so whenever they jingle I hear them. Usually light breezes set them off so its nothing to be creeped out about except one night at about 2am when everything was incredibly still outside. Nobody was around and my house was dark when I heard the chimes jingling. It didn't really bother me except they kept jingling every few seconds by themselves. I even looked out my window to see what was up but it was too dark to see them, but I could feel there was no wind. They kept jingling now and then all night and I never did find out what was going on, I did take them down after that night though.

ApeShapeDeity

Dec 16, 2010
Ok... I was at the pub a few years back and said something insensitive, which led to me being accused of being homophobic.

So, I drunkenly decided to proove otherwise by sitting on this bloke's lap and giving him a little kiss. He's a tradesman, plays football, drives a V8... and is apparently bisexual. I was not expecting him to give me tounge. It didn't do a lot to prove my point, either.

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
NicolasMarinus said:
Sleeping in a 15-storey abandoned boarding school and hearing the elevator go up in the middle of the night. Just once.
Why were you there to begin with?

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
cairocat said:
LiberalSquirrel said:
Different kind of creepy- some guy forced me to grope him. Ah, the joys of working at an amusement park...

And this was the same day some old guy offered me a ride in his truck, and, after I turned him down, followed me as I walked out to my car.
How did this happen?
I was going around checking the clasp of a bar- which are about half a foot away and above the middle of someone's legs- on a swing ride. Right after I checked his seatbelt, he grabbed my arm and ground against my hand. It was lovely.

NicolasMarinus

Sep 21, 2009
cairocat said:
NicolasMarinus said:
Why were you there to begin with?
I stayed there during an art fair. My art performance was in the building (it was a Kafkaian piece) and so I spent the night there too.