Critic Names Star Wars Prequel as World's Best Modern Art

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
Veylon said:
but it's devoid of all meaning and purpose.
Believe it or not, I guess that's the current definition of art, they just forgot to let people know about it.

See my post? A perfect example of art! ;p

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Wait wait wait... she has a problem with "ham-handed fakery," but thinks Revenge of the Sith is the best piece of art in the last thirty years?

Come on, if you're going to be absurd, at least be consistent about it.

Harker067

Sep 21, 2010
It's just not exactly an arc when he goes from slaughtering women and children in one movie to slaughtering children in the next movie. When was Anakin good again? The emperor's plan also relied on stupidity from everyone involved. The films are not terrible but they squander most of their ideas. The ideas are meaningless without proper execution and that is mostly fumbled. Course if you wanted a movie of flashy style over substance and execution to epitomize the average movie these days star wars 3 was probably a good choice.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
saleem said:
Its obvious that this isnt praise for lucas's work but rather a damning of the state of modern art. Note she refers to artists as if referring to painters, sculptors and the like. If I was an artist I'd be feeling pretty low right about now considering someone just said a piece of commercial effluence is better then the work I was producing.
I think you hit the nail on the head there. Well, that combined with a genuine belief that modern art is filled with garbage that thinks it's meaningful. Though if I was a sculptor or painter, I'd probably be looking at her and saying she's cracked. As a writer I'm more inclined look at a lot of writing in pop culture and say, "yeah, more or less, who actually reads/watches/plays this shit?"

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Everyone sing it with me now!

Though this is a great way to insult every artist of the past 30 years, quite impressive really.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I loved Episode 3 but I'm not so sure about "best piece of art in the last 30 years".

And I care not for labels such as artistic. It all seems pointless when the whole art thing is subjective anyway.

Veylon said:
I agree with the art critic that the long final lightsaber duel represents modern filmmaking. It's a hyper-choreographed, inconsequential CGI-fest interspersed with a handful of awful and bizarre one-liners standing in for dialogue. I'll admit that it's technically impressive and, no doubt, many an artist worked many a man-hour on it, but it's devoid of all meaning and purpose.
I'd have to disagree. It was there to show that the dark sides corruption on Anakin was stronger than his friendship with Obi-Wan. The lightsaber fight itself was to show their ability in perspective of each other (which is something a hell of a lot of people wanted) and the CGI was bonus.

samahain

Sep 23, 2010
I'm going to the public library (where they lend free books BTW) and I'm reading it.
The thing is better make a damn good point.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
josemlopes said:
Does she hate sand too? I bet sand killed her younglings a long, long time ago
she probably doesn't realize it because it happened in a galaxy far, far away.

OT: and here come black eye to every person interested in Modern art.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Bhaalspawn said:
Thank you Camille Padliga. It only took 7 years for a respected critic to say the very thing I've been saying since 2005, but at finally we have someone with some actual sense here.
She's so respected the first result when you google her name is this story. And two "Are you sure you spelled the right thing?" corrections.

OT: Attention seeker makes comment trying to garner attention. News at 11.

Edit: The first two link to this story on this site. The only other 4 results link to this same story on different sites.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
I like what I read from her statements. I don't agree with it, but I like the strong, unfiltered opinion and honest criticism. We need more critics that just say what they mean, kind of what she hinted at as well.

No more wishy washy filtered half-corporate bullshit that oozes out of reviews these days.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
She has been a crazy person who enjoys being a contrarian for attention for at least 22 years. (Just try reading Sexual Personae and tell me otherwise.) Nothing to see here.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
She does realise that there is a fairly sizable portion of the population that thinks that 'modern art' is a bunch of prentious bullc#@p?