Critical Miss: A Tale of Two Hedgehogs

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
The forums ate my post. <.<;

I'm just really happy you acknowledged the Sonic Adventure games, they were the pinnacle of my childhood gaming. Sonic and Knuckles was my first game, and I have played the other 2D Sonics, but none of them are as memorable as Sonic Adventure to me. They were/are good games, it's a shame that they get dismissed with the other 3D Sonic games.

I kept buying and beating Sonic games up until Sonic 2006, in which case my fondness of the series died.

After seeing the previews of Sonic Generations I was on the fence, but after this comic I may chance it and get a copy for Christmas. *Misses the Sonic of his childhood*

Edit: NOW my post appears. D: Sorry for the double post everyone. >.>;

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Daaaaaw...

Colours has made me slightly less weary of Modern Sonic... only slightly but... he's the least annoying in that game and I think it's a blue print of how he should have been all along.
Cartoony, a bit sarcastic, fun and just generally running circles around Robotnik while not spouting off too many mortifying one liners and and a million 'friends' helping him.

If you haven't acquired a Wii and a copy of the game though that might be something alot of people have had to skip over as xboxers and ps3ers but if you can, find a way to play it, the limited cutscenes are actually reminiscent of the cartoon sonic... which is not a bad thing.

Sonic and Tails. That is all I want to see now, that game proves it works better... Knuckles can come around to play sometimes.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1DenmbPcHs
This is all colours is for cutscenes. Not...really that bad... Compared to the 2006-2010 stint of Abso-terri-bad.

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
I'm afraid It will take more than this to make me hopeful about this game. I spent countless hours trying to beat Sonic 2 when I was younger. I want to like this game but I'm not prepared to spend money on it untill I get some more opinions.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Truly-A-Lie said:
I guess I'm in a weird minority of people who grew up with the Mega Drive, loved Sonic 1-3 and has a lot of nostalgia for that era, and yet I still like the new Sonic design and the 3D gameplay.

I was always a console generation or so behind, so while Sonic is older than I am by a year, I had a Mega Drive instead of a PlayStation for a long time, and only as I was getting older did I see Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast. Seeing that Sonic had changed wasn't a bad thing for me then, because he was changing right alongside me, so I only ended up loving the series more.

Generations is the pinnacle of both sides of Sonic that I've grown up with. Such a great game.
Yeah, count me in with that minority. Never really saw a problem with modern Sonic, and I was up-to-date with the franchise. Never got what the hate was about. Hell, I didn't even know there WAS hate until a couple years ago. I guess the gaming populous just love their silent protagonists.

As for the game, yes indeed it's a great game. Not just because of nostalgia (though that has a lot to do with it), but because it's just a well put together game. The music, VAing, references and overall polish of the visuals is great. Hell, I'll put myself in the line of fire and say the level design's the best it's been since Sonic 2. Been playing it nonstop for a week now, and I can see myself going for another.

EDIT*
I guess I should clarify. 2006 and beyond I kinda get where the hate comes from. Griffith and the writing staff behind games like Shadow, 2006 and Black Knight were pretty bad, no question. Still, it never really tarnished my view of Modern Sonic as a whole, I just chalked that up to bad decisions and writing. Why anyone would hold ill will towards the dreamcast era is kinda beyond me on the other hand.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
I'm one of the three people who grew up with the Genesis games and actually doesn't downright hate the newer games. (Aside from Sonic 2006. Fuuuuuuck that one) Yeah, I hated the gimmicks as much as anyone, but whenever Sonic Team just pulled their pants up and gave us what we wanted, however brief it may have been, I had fun. I'm just so happy that they seem to have finally pulled themselves together.

I mean this is seriously one of the best games in the series. I haven't even considered saying that for a console Sonic game since Sonic Adventure came out twelve years ago. (Colors is great too, but it's not quite on that level for me)

BX3 said:
EDIT*
I guess I should clarify. 2006 and beyond I kinda get where the hate comes from. Griffith and the writing staff behind games like Shadow, 2006 and Black Knight were pretty bad, no question. Still, it never really tarnished my view of Modern Sonic as a whole, I just chalked that up to bad decisions and writing. Why anyone would hold ill will towards the dreamcast era is kinda beyond me on the other hand.
I can kind of understand where the Sonic Adventure/Adventure 2 hate comes from, as a good chunk of those games focused on different gameplay styles that were quite boring for some people. But the actual levels where you get to run and jump around really fast? I still say they *nailed* 3D Sonic the first time around. Though I will admit the camera controls haven't really held up. I hate how mid-to-late 90's games map the camera to the shoulder buttons <_<

Monkey_Warfare

Sep 10, 2008
Loved the originals, I still remember my joy when I completed the original with all chaos emeralds. Have bought Sonic 1-3 on steam recently and am going to finish redoing them before getting this.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
The series ages well, except for anything that came 'later' and you know what I mean by that

dmcc85

Feb 18, 2010
sooooo ... she had a dog when she was young.
i see.
oh, and the earlier sonic was better than the new one.
okay.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Not what I would call a close hug in panel 5. I know he's covered in spikes, but I'm just sayin'...

Verdilian

Jan 8, 2011
Sniff. I like both Sonic equally. Sure, Modern Sonic has had his rough times recently. But, he has made it up through the releases of Unleashed, Colors, and now Generations. I just don't get all of the hate surrounding Modern. In other words, both deserve hugs in my opinion. They accomplished much, and both will (hopefully) go onwards.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
You know I personally think Modern Sonic looks better. And I did start my Sonic gaming with Classic Sonic. Not that they look all that much different. I mean fuck, they're both anthropomorphic blue hedgehogs with red and white shoes.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
But it's the end of the world because THE EYELIDS ARE THE WRONG COLOR!!! D:

Nah, seriously, close enough.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
"Case in point: At one point Tails exclaims that the pink water in the Chemical Plant Zone makes him "really nervous for some reason.""

...I don't get it.

Anyways, I'm looking foward to it, mainly because CITY ESCAPE!

ROLLAN AROUND AT THE SPEED OF SOUND, GOT PLACES TO GO GOTTA FOLLOW MAH RAINBOW!

JackWestJr

Apr 9, 2011
zombie711 said:
Im going to say it, cause someone has to. Old sonic isnt good. The first one feels dated, the second one improves it, but the next three feel tacked on.

I know (older) people prefer those games but they just dont hold up as well as say mario games.
Now if you dont mind Im going to go play adventure battle 2. The best sonic game in the world.
*Peers out from behind a dark rock in the corner* You... I am not alone!!?!