Critical Miss: The Douche King

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Critical Miss: The Douche King

Escapist ... Run This Comic Strip.

Read Full Article
Saw this, thought you might enjoy. It puts all the pretentiousness on the ground and pisses all over it.

http://geekisawesome.com/1150/siri-on-your-friends-iphone/

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Grey Carter said:
This argument comes up every time I take the piss out of things people like. "There's other obnoxious ads, why don't I attack ALL OF THE ADS?" Simple, because I have roughly 8 panels and 400 words a week in which to do my job. So I pick whatever's bugged me recently and, most importantly, I pick something the audience will recognize.

Trust me, I could write pages on the Ferrero Roche ads or, rant about this this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DvbO6-k_SM], and why everyone involved in its creation deserves to be shipped off to a gulag somewhere, but people can only take so much vitriol before it gets tiresome.

Funny you should bring up Jeans ads though. Levis has had some fantastic ads through the years.
Honestly, I'm mostly just concerned about people who would think I'm a giant pulsating scrotum or an F-ing protohuman if I wanted to take a jog and check my email without taking my eyes off of where I was going.

I'd like to think I'm none of those things, but I do like apple mobile devices. They aren't any better or worse than anything in the market, but I like the way they interact with each other, and since an iPhone was the first smartphone I owned it was easier to stick with them rather than having to start a brand new collection of apps and reorganizing my contacts on another mobile os. The biggest hassle about them? Listening to people make snide comments and acting like their better than me for not owning one. Usually after saying that they wished some feature on my gadget was on theirs.

Has anyone ever looked at the way you dress or act and insulted you for it? Remember how that made you felt? Thanks for making one of your readers feel that way. It really made my day. I missed that "bullied high school student" feeling

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
The Hungry Samurai said:
Grey Carter said:
This argument comes up every time I take the piss out of things people like. "There's other obnoxious ads, why don't I attack ALL OF THE ADS?" Simple, because I have roughly 8 panels and 400 words a week in which to do my job. So I pick whatever's bugged me recently and, most importantly, I pick something the audience will recognize.

Trust me, I could write pages on the Ferrero Roche ads or, rant about this this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DvbO6-k_SM], and why everyone involved in its creation deserves to be shipped off to a gulag somewhere, but people can only take so much vitriol before it gets tiresome.

Funny you should bring up Jeans ads though. Levis has had some fantastic ads through the years.
Honestly, I'm mostly just concerned about people who would think I'm a giant pulsating scrotum or an F-ing protohuman if I wanted to take a jog and check my email without taking my eyes off of where I was going.

I'd like to think I'm none of those things, but I do like apple mobile devices. They aren't any better or worse than anything in the market, but I like the way they interact with each other, and since an iPhone was the first smartphone I owned it was easier to stick with them rather than having to start a brand new collection of apps and reorganizing my contacts on another mobile os. The biggest hassle about them? Listening to people make snide comments and acting like their better than me for not owning one. Usually after saying that they wished some feature on my gadget was on theirs.

Has anyone ever looked at the way you dress or act and insulted you for it? Remember how that made you felt? Thanks for making one of your readers feel that way. It really made my day. I missed that "bullied high school student" feeling
Honestly, and I mean this in the kindest way possible, if you aspire to be like the guy in the ad - who is a fictional character, I might add - then I would feel absolutely justified in calling you a giant pulsating scrotum.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Grey Carter said:
Honestly, and I mean this in the kindest way possible, if you aspire to be like the guy in the ad - who is a fictional character, I might add - then I would feel absolutely justified in calling you a giant pulsating scrotum.
I'm glad that you have enough fans that you aren't worried about talking to one like this.

At least with the "I'm a Mac" ads you could say that they attacked your decision to use a pc. This fictional character has 13 seconds of air time during which he did nothing to hurt you or what you stand for. All I know about him is that he exercises, he uses the new iPhone, and he has plans for 10. What part of that makes him a G.P.S.?

I do want the new iPhone, and I wish I could stick to an exercise regimen, so excuse me if I'm a bit offended by you calling me names.

I get that you're a humorist and concepts like parody and exaggeration, don't exactly go over my head, but this comic and your comments are basically free flowing hatred. The judgment you cast on this character (and anyone who happens to be similar to him as you have stated) is about as well founded and logical as the judgement a skin head places on an African American.

Your comic made my day a little crappier, and your trollish attitude about it is disappointing.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Grey Carter said:
The Hungry Samurai said:
Grey Carter said:

So, if I aspire to be physically fit, neat in appearance, have self-confidence, and check my email while jogging when the capability is available to me, I'm a giant pulsating scrotum? Or is the judgement only reserved if I use an Apple product to check my email while jogging? If I aspired to be physically fit, neat in appearance, have self-confidence, and check my email with an Android phone when the capability is available to me, would I still be labelled a giant pulsating scrotum?

I don't get what it is the guy is actually doing to get him labelled a giant pulsating scrotum or proto-human. He's jogging down the street and checking his email using voice command. What is he doing to other people that is so douchey? As far as I can tell, this judgement is based solely on either his appearance(making it a shallow judgement that I think most would agree is unfair) or the fact that he is using an Apple product(which is also shallow, but there seems to be a number of people that think this is okay to do anyway), but I could be missing something. Or perhaps it's because he has an aura of self-confidence(as many people who jog and exercise regularly have), in which case the judgement sounds a bit like jealousy. So, what is it about him or what is he doing, other than appearance, jogging, or using an Apple product, that garners so much disdain? I'm just not seeing a rational reason it.

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
DEATH TO GIANT SCROTUMS!
To be fair, the newer commercials are FAR less douchie
Really? You don't think the "If you don't have an iPhone" ads aren't just full of smug douchiness? Not to mention BLATANT LIES [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlatantLies]!

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
fngrhn....

well, that's a new intresting curse word. I wonder if it'll catch on...

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
This. This, this, this.

Along with that stupid Geico commercial where he asks "Do people use smart phones to do dumb things?", which made me feel embarrassed to be a white person for like a month. And that fucking... that one, I can't remember what it's for but all you hear is some pippy posh teenage voice who is telling his app butler to do things, and demanding that the ostrich be removed from his bedroom. I've never wanted to kick a sharp object inside someone's ass so badly.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Hmmm, this looks likes the first set of symptoms...

Do you suddenly have an urge to break out your laptop in Stabucks coffee shops?
Actually I have an Ipod (yes, I write it that way.) touch 2nd generation. And I hate starbucks -.-

ALlthough I do see alot of .. fun things going to happen. No way that speechrecognition is so far advanced, or I am hugely mistaken. Everyone in that trailer speaks perfect english in a sound quiet surrounding (i.e. no background noise.) What about people with an accent? NOt sure if you have heard the dutch accent but good lord is it butchered. That will not work at all o.o

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
Perhaps I don't watch enough TV but this actually seems like normal behavior as opposed to what this comic made me expect. In the rant under the comic, they say:

It's some kind of appalling, dystopian nightmare-future, where the streets are filled with coiffed, jogging shits, barking orders into their five hundred dollar rectangles while slightly off kilter elevator music plays in the background. Ordinary people will be cramming themselves into the suicide booths, or lining up outside the Soylent Green factories. Anything to escape the endless mechanical chorus of confirmed business brunches, weather reports and advice on what specific kind of chorizo goes best on Tuscan flatbread.

Seriously? Do you think people talking on their cell phone while walking/driving look any better? The ones with the "clever" ringtones which make you wonder how the human race hasn't been declared an evolutionary dead end or the song ringtones which will imbed someone else's crappy music into your head? How about the ones with the Bluetooth headsets where you're trying to decide whether they're talking to someone or they're off their meds? And texting. Ah, texting. One of the smartest things that the Boondocks ever said was: Nothing important has ever been sent by a text.".....especially when the person is sitting across the table from you.

If people were going to cram themselves into the suicide booth, they would have done so already.