Critical Miss: Top Five Games of 2012 #2

Brainwreck

Dec 2, 2012
Pretty sure Hotline Miami is not goint to be #1.
Maybe X-Com or That Game That Makes You Sad.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
X-Com or TWD for number 1 unless he aims to troll.

I'm actually leanin towards X-Com, if only because I can imagine the skit bein somethin along the lines of makin fun of how the hit table is a lyin sack of shit. 99% chance to hit you say? Watch as I miss all but 1 bullet and then die next turn to aliens that spawned from nowhere.

Genius.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010

Good to know more people out there recognize the genius that is Tarzan of the Jungle Mark of the Ninja.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
MOTN was okay, but I felt it had sticky controls and the terror costume is both broken and a typo. The game says the costume causes guards that see a stealth kill to become terrified, this isn't true, it causes guards to become terrified if they see a corpse. I was once dragging around a dead body and two guards saw me, I said "'sup..." then they killed each other. I'm such a lonely ninja. They might have fixed it since then, I haven't played it in a while.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Oh hell yes. This is one of my favorite games of last year, definitely in my top 10 list.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Just a minor note - I think a lot of the game's streamlining wouldn't work in 3D. The gameplay is very tight and a lot of fun, but disconnected and clinical (I never imagined I was the ninja dude, or empathized with him). You are always playing an assassination tactics game, for lack of a better term. All the audio circles work here, but in 3D would turn into annoying audio spheres that would completely break the mood of something like Thief.

Making it 2D was part of the design genius, just sayin' that a lot of these refinements only apply to a certain game style. I want more of it, but you shouldn't expect them to show up in Dishonored 2 or any game where you're trying to make the player afraid. On the other hand, Dishonored's 'peek through the keyhole' thing could easily use the 'lean to peek through the keyhole' thing.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
MetalMagpie said:
Any bets for #1?
Personally I'll be shocked if it isn't either TWD or Journey, two games which apparently I'm the only person who hates on principle, TWD because I have little patience for Point and click games and even less for zombies, and Journey because from everything I have seen up to and including the way people praise it, is big on the semi pretentious "art" and short on gameplay. I might actually like TWD if I could get past how sick I am of zombies but the closest thing to an emotional response Journey could ever get from me is "I payed money for this?".

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Ha! Ok, this was a good one. Silly guards, have you learned nothing from Metal Gear Solid? You fan out and search when you find a dead body, not admire the decor.
As for #1, it will either be Walking Dead, X-COM, or Journey, or some other Indie Darling.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
(An aside: You can just call the protagonist Mark.)

Yep. This is my 2012 GOTY. Mechanically flawless and deeply satisfying.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
major_chaos said:
MetalMagpie said:
Any bets for #1?
Personally I'll be shocked if it isn't either TWD or Journey, two games which apparently I'm the only person who hates on principle, TWD because I have little patience for Point and click games and even less for zombies, and Journey because from everything I have seen up to and including the way people praise it, is big on the semi pretentious "art" and short on gameplay. I might actually like TWD if I could get past how sick I am of zombies but the closest thing to an emotional response Journey could ever get from me is "I payed money for this?".
You might be surprised.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
I loved mark of the ninja. However the game of the year is they bleed pixels. That game made me rage, but I still beat it. This was the year or rage games for me. FTL, They Bleed Pixels, Hotline Miami, Edna and harvey: HNE, Xenonaughts...so much rage.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I'm so proud of myself, I actually read "天才", understood it, and moved on before realising I'd done so. YAY! My Japanese is getting better! (it only took three years of studying it in school plus 12 years of on and off again study...)

OT: Haven't played the game and for some reason I get this "Don't wanna" feeling when I look at it on Steam. Dunno why.

uneek

Sep 4, 2011
Scars Unseen said:
Ninja, Ninja, RAP! Ninja, Ninja, RAP! GO GO GO GO!
Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO: Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO: Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
GO GO GO GO!
Have you ever seen a turtle get down?

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
nodlimax said:
Well I tend towards TWD. I don't think ME3 is going to be goty. I saw the comic strip right after the game was released ;)
It'll be TWD.

This website melted for that game. [Not that such a thing is unfair, just got a little repetitive.]

Grey Carter said:
major_chaos said:
MetalMagpie said:
Any bets for #1?
You might be surprised.
Well now that you've said that I assume it'll be the Kinect "Steel Battalion" game.

oldtaku said:
Just a minor note - I think a lot of the game's streamlining wouldn't work in 3D. The gameplay is very tight and a lot of fun, but disconnected and clinical (I never imagined I was the ninja dude, or empathized with him). You are always playing an assassination tactics game, for lack of a better term. All the audio circles work here, but in 3D would turn into annoying audio spheres that would completely break the mood of something like Thief.

Making it 2D was part of the design genius, just sayin' that a lot of these refinements only apply to a certain game style. I want more of it, but you shouldn't expect them to show up in Dishonored 2 or any game where you're trying to make the player afraid. On the other hand, Dishonored's 'peek through the keyhole' thing could easily use the 'lean to peek through the keyhole' thing.
Dishonored does the sound circles around your feet too >.>.

And it is 3D <.<...

Edit:

Both games do the looking through doors thing.
Both games have the "ninja vision".
Both games had the feet circles as I mentioned.
I don't know if Dishonored really made use of shadows though, I'm only in level 2 <.<...I keep replaying it trying to perfect my technique (as I did in MoTN).

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Ah yes, MotN. Loved it.
Despite all the applause of the nonlethal options and all, I actually decided to go through on a murderous rampage and I LOVED it. The terror options are just the best. I'm currently going through on my "HEY KIDS YOU WANNA SEE A DEAD BODY?" playthrough with the Path of Nightmares.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
major_chaos said:
MetalMagpie said:
Any bets for #1?
I'm not a fan of zombies either. It's not that they've been overused, it's just that I never liked them. I don't find them very interesting as monsters, and some of the depictions are too close to a repeating nightmare I had as a child (and sometimes still do when under a lot of stress). So even comical depictions of zombies have the potential to unnerve me.

Journey I haven't played as I lack a PS3 (I'm mostly a PC gamer, although I have a 2nd hand Xbox 360). It looks very pretty, but I've never been given the impression there's much substance to it. It's certainly not selling itself on the gameplay.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Grey Carter said:
major_chaos said:
MetalMagpie said:
Any bets for #1?
You might be surprised.
Based on that comment, I'm putting my money on XCOM.

*waits to be surprised by a game completely out of left field*