Criticisms your'e sick of seeing in a film/story

Gromril

Sep 11, 2005
I see allot of old criticisms being brought up whenever someone mentions a favourite story/film. Often, they are valid and well thought out. Other times, they are recycled arguments that have been used by people who cant think of their own one or a better one. Whatever the reason, be it righteous indignation or good old fan boy rage, such repeated criticism can drive me insane.

So I put it to you, oh mighty escapist forum community, to bring forth the ones you hate.

For me? The whole "Lulz why didn't the eagles just fly them to the mountain?" from the hobbit. Of the top of my head? How about smaug (you know, the freaking Dragon that lives there) being one of the few things in universe that would pass for a natural predator for a giant eagle. Cant imagine they want to go anywhere near that thing.

Also, maybe, just maybe, giant birds have different motivations and thought processes to bipedal mammal folk. I don't know Gandalf's relationship with them, beyond his ability to call in a favour from them occasionally if there is no other way for him to accomplish something (Not being dead, saving lives ect)

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I have something a bit more generic but whenever someone complains about a movie that was huge for it's time (Godfather, Citizen Kane, Casablanca, etc.) that they don't see what the big deal is.

*Sigh...

Imaginary straw-man I'm building who complains about how they're not that great...seriously, that's a silly thing to say. Yeah, the movie doesn't seem that groundbreaking because all the groundbreaking stuff is standard in today's movies! No shit it seems like a trope; this is the movie that invented the fucking trope you're complaining about!

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Gromril said:
I see allot of old criticisms being brought up whenever someone mentions a favourite story/film. Often, they are valid and well thought out. Other times, they are recycled arguments that have been used by people who cant think of their own one or a better one. Whatever the reason, be it righteous indignation or good old fan boy rage, such repeated criticism can drive me insane.

So I put it to you, oh mighty escapist forum community, to bring forth the ones you hate.
The criticism I hate is over the issue of how all the superheores are White men, and that is wrong/unfair, so its ok to change the race of a superhero because otherwise all the superheroes would be White(which is inaccurate). It irritates me because as a fan of Spawn, I would like to see less of Idris Elba pretending that a Norse God is a Black guy, and insteadI would LOVE to see Idris Elba in the Blockbuster role of Al Simmons and star in Spawn trilogy(which could be directed by Christopher Nolan[footnote]Hopefully Mr. Nolan could take his skills from making three great Batman movies and use it to make three great Spawn movies. Hopefully he would be the director, and not somebody like Michael Bay or Silent Bob.[/footnote])! Seriously, its not just lazy writing to change the race of already established characters, its also insulting for those of us that are already fans of non-White superheroes like Spawn. Please Hollywood, stop trying to change characters like Heimdall and Johnny Storm, and instead start making movies about Spawn(starring Idris Elba) and Static [from Stack Shock](starring Michael B. Jordan).

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Any JRPG, no matter how good or bad, will always have one ass-wipe reviewer go "It's a JRPG therefore it sucks." And yes, this person is paid to review games this badly.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Helmholtz Watson said:
...start making movies about Spawn(starring Idris Elba) and Static Shock(starring Michael B. Jordan).
Excuse me, but his name is Static. Static Shock is the series, and Static is the character. Also, I agree that a movie about him would be fun.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Queen Michael said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
...start making movies about Spawn(starring Idris Elba) and Static Shock(starring Michael B. Jordan).
Excuse me, but his name is Static. Static Shock is the series, and Static is the character. Also, I agree that a movie about him would be fun.
Apologies, its been a while since I have seen the show. I'll edit my post.

Yeah lets hope that they give him a movie soon.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Queen Michael said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Yup, a Static movie would be pretty awesome.

Also, why not a GOOD Green Lantern movie about John Stewart? He's the best version of green lantern.

Or what about Black Panther? An African Superhero who saves the world and is also the ruler of a technologically advanced African nation, who is essentially a black version of Batman? Who wouldn't want to see that?

And are people forgetting that Blade got 3 movies?

There may not be a ton of instantly recognizable black superheros, but they're there, just begging to be used.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I also have a general annoyance in that there is often criticism of something simply because it doesn't have a deep or meaningful theme or message to it. A bad movie is a bad movie, but just because a movie doesn't aim to more than a fun couple of hours doesn't mean it's bad.

Gromril said:
Also, maybe, just maybe, giant birds have different motivations and thought processes to bipedal mammal folk. I don't know Gandalf's relationship with them, beyond his ability to call in a favour from them occasionally if there is no other way for him to accomplish something (Not being dead, saving lives ect)
Yeah, though they look like Eagles, they are actually a completely sentient and intelligent race. To just say they could be called upon by anyone at a moments notice to act as mounts would pretty much amount to calling up some guy down the street and expecting him to give you a piggyback ride anywhere you wanted to go. The only reason they take heed of Gandalf's requests at all is that he has personally helped them in the past, so it's more returning a favour to a proven friend than saying "sure, ride on top of me."

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
RaikuFA said:
Any JRPG, no matter how good or bad, will always have one ass-wipe reviewer go "It's a JRPG therefore it sucks." And yes, this person is paid to review games this badly.
Are you referring to Yahtzee? lol

Seriously though, I think JRPG's would get less crap if they dropped that horrible turn-based combat system. It's 2013, please update your combat system and join the rest of the world. Keep your crazy male haircuts, giant swords, angsty characters, anime art style, focus on teenagers and children as main characters, bishonen guys, Japanese view of Christianity, and other cultural differences, but please drop the outdated turn-based combat system. The only game I think that gets a pass on this is the Pokemon series, and I say that as someone who hasn't cared about Pokemon since I was 10years old.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
Queen Michael said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Yup, a Static movie would be pretty awesome.

Also, why not a GOOD Green Lantern movie about John Stewart? He's the best version of green lantern.

Or what about Black Panther? An African Superhero who saves the world and is also the ruler of a technologically advanced African nation, who is essentially a black version of Batman? Who wouldn't want to see that?

And are people forgetting that Blade got 3 movies?

There may not be a ton of instantly recognizable black superheros, but they're there, just begging to be used.
I think that there is rumors of a Black Panther movie in the works but I really wish they start making a Spawn movie soon. I mean who wouldn't want to see modern CGI recreation of his cape or mask? Can't wait to see this in IMAX.....

ItouKaiji

May 14, 2013
Helmholtz Watson said:
RaikuFA said:

Seriously though, I think JRPG's would get less crap if they dropped that horrible turn-based combat system. It's 2013, please update your combat system and join the rest of the world. Keep your crazy male haircuts, giant swords, angsty characters, anime art style, focus on teenagers and children as main characters, bishonen guys, Japanese view of Christianity, and other cultural differences, but please drop the outdated turn-based combat system. The only game I think that gets a pass on this is the Pokemon series, and I say that as someone who hasn't cared about Pokemon since I was 10years old.
Actually I'm the opposite. I started disliking JRPs when they got away from the turn based combat in favor of mixing turn based with more action style combat. Pick one or the other, and in this case I'd prefer turn based combat.

AS for what I am sick of in criticism is people that don't understand what the word pretentious means. It seems whenever someone doesn't like a movie or whatever themes then it's automatically pretentious.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Helmholtz Watson said:
RaikuFA said:

Not really. See X-PLAY Kotaku or Game Informer.

And I think it varies on how turn based is. FF6/Chrono Trigger/Shin Megami Tensei has good combat. It's when they try to add stuff to "spice things up"(see:FF8 or 13) is when it starts buggin me.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
I dislike the "old = objectively bad" argument that comes up pretty much every time older movies are discussed. Similarly annoying are the "stop liking what I don't like" arguments, witch are all about attacking others for their taste.

For example:

If you like Transformers you are a total moron since only an idiot could enjoy a shitty movie like that. If you dislike Transformers you are a pretentious snob who is incapable of relaxing and having fun watching a movie. If you like Citizen Kane you are also a pretentious asshole who only acts like he/she likes the movie to get kudos from other pretentious assholes. Though, if you dislike Citizen Kane you are then (again) a total moron who should go back watching Transformers etc. etc.

I call it The snob/philistine dichotomy.

LightningFast

Feb 6, 2013
If you say something, ANYTHING, is overrated, and can't think of a single reason why, you deserve to be forced to walk on a bed of hot Legos.

I think people who disregard characters' flaws and the fact that they are under duress in certain situations when criticizing their actions is pretty annoying. Oh, that's what YOU would have done? Okay, well, you're not a German bounty hunter in the old west, or a shellshocked veteran, or a man who dresses up like a bat and fights crime, and you're certainly not being shot at by a police helicopter, or being attacked by a killer robot... so on and so forth.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I can only think of reviews of older movies, seeing as if you exclude the Harry Potters & Tolkein-based movies, the last thing I saw in a theater was Team America.

I hate it when people say a movie seems dated or is a product of it's time that doesn't hold up today, & that sentiment also applies to video game graphics & linear games.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Gromril said:

For me? The whole "Lulz why didn't the eagles just fly them to the mountain?" from the hobbit. Of the top of my head? How about smaug (you know, the freaking Dragon that lives there) being one of the few things in universe that would pass for a natural predator for a giant eagle. Cant imagine they want to go anywhere near that thing.

Pretty sure the "why didn't the eagles just fly them to the mountain" was more about Return of the King... where it made more sense.

The Eagles aren't just big dumb birds. They're as intelligent, if not more, than humans in this setting... so they really should have been able to take the Fellowship to Mount Doom.

But, due to one of the many details removed for the sake of time... the Eagles were dealing with their own problems at the time... so they weren't able to help until the last minute.

Anyway...

Hmm... nothing springs to mind at the moment...

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
'Bad dialogue'. Because like 'liberal propaganda undermining traditional family values', it's so overused and nebulous a claim that you can't even begin to form a logical counterargument. One person's bad writing is another's camp, one person's storm of dry-cool witticisms is another's grating annoyance.

Every single movie I have ever seen and liked has had someone claim the writing was bad. Remember those things we had before film? Y'know... stage plays? Tell me again how smooth and believable and crisp the dialogue in those was.