Criticize your favourite game

TheyTookOurJobs

Dec 22, 2009
Mass Effect 2 wasn't RPG -ey enough.

Resident Evil 4 had Ashley.

Half Life 2's hovercraft section was a bit crap.

Super metroid and Goldeneye have both aged really poorly.

Hogs of War for PS1... nope, I can't think of anything.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Persona 3: the knock down system was easily exploitable and while the AI was pretty good, I would have preferred a direct control option.Also the max S-link run is insane.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Fallout: New Vegas, despite being awesome, has this horrible tendency to get you committed to some tedious activity, so you just can't drop it and go off to do something else. Also, even with Jury Rigging, Desert Ranger armour is a ***** to repair...and it costs 15k caps to get somebody else to do it.
Let's clarify that a little. Fifteen thousand bottle caps to repair riot armour and a trenchcoat. In a realistic world, how the balls would I be carting around 15,000 bottle caps? If you're going to use such an unwieldy currency, try to keep inflation relatively low...good God.
Also. How can anything cost .6 of a cap?

But...except for the common crashes, the tedium of Old World Blues' technology gathering, and the fact that the economy makes no damn sense...I can't fault the game.

projectX42

Jun 1, 2011
in halo reach

-the community can be a bit too willing to complain when they try something new in a game, that i personally thought was a good thing (bloom and armor lock mainly) i get that they can be annoying but the amount of threads i saw about it was unnecessary

-the spawning system has more the a few times lead to almost instant deaths.

for battlefield 3

- that single player campaign *shudders*

Anaklusmos

Jun 1, 2010
My favourite game at the moment is Fallout 3... one bad thing... hmm, well I can't stop playing it for one thing, damn you modders, I have a backlog to clear ya'know...

LittleBlondeGoth

Mar 24, 2011
Final Fantasy VII - The English localisation can be shockingly bad.

Dragon Age: Origins - I love you, but what on earth happened to everyone's hands? I mean... Just look at them! Look at them! And once you've noticed how huge and unweildy they are compared to the rest of the body, you can't stop noticing it. Augh.

Dragon Age 2 - What? Only one heal spell and it's on a 30 second timer? Grrr...

Mass Effect - The Mako sections can go to hell. In a handbasket.

Mass Effect 2 - What? Only a couple of sniper rifle rounds until I pick up more ammo? Augh once again.

OldKingClancy

Jun 2, 2011
Red Dead Redemption was a little slow to start with.

InFamous 2 had some ridiculously difficult enemies.

Spyro was too short. More Spyro

SpaceCop

Feb 14, 2010
Mass Effect 2's thermal clips...
1) A reloading mechanic makes Mass Effect's technology less functionally unique from other sci fi settings.
2) From a narrative standpoint thermal clips' ubiquitousness makes no sense. Are we expected to believe that every shoestring mercenary operation on the galaxy's fringe updates their entire weapon stock every two years? Why do the geth and the collectors use thermal clips when their technology is supposed to be both more advanced and developed differently from that of other races? How did thermal clips get on board a ship that went missing 8 years before they were widely adopted?
3) For that matter, why were they adopted? Guns with thermal clips are functionally worse than guns without them as their capacity for extended fire is reduced and an artificial short term "ammo limit" is now imposed.
4) How does thermal clip technology work? The clip absorbs heat as the gun is fired, but when firing stops why is heat still retained? What kind of material are thermal clips made from that has absolutely no heat dissipation, and why was such an inferior material chosen?
5) Stepping on ammo to pick it up is immersion breaking and dumb.
6) Why does Commander Shepard only carry enough thermal clips to fire his or her shotgun 15 times? Are the soldiers of the future expected to procure sufficient thermal clips to be combat effect during every firefight? What are they supposed to do when combatting enemies that don't use conventional weaponry? What economic or bureaucratic situation caused this limitation on thermal clip capacity?
Anywayyy....

Mar 28, 2011
Soul Reaver / Legacy of Kain series......

The story is one of the greatest things ever written down... ever.

1. It hasn't been made into a movie yet.

2. They aren't making anymore games.

3. It's not a fucking movie yet.

Final Fantasy Series.

Again fantastic story driven adventures. Truly engaging world. Years and years of game-play.

1. Annoying main characters..... no really. You would be hard pushed to deliberately make a worse main character for each game.

2. Un-skip-able cut scenes. That as a fan, over the decades, you could quote word for word anyway.

Resident Evil

The definitive survival horror game. Spanning all consoles and generations.

1. You had it right when you made RE4. How could you get RE5 so wrong.

2. Get a move on, with re-making the original trilogy. In the same way in which you re-don it on the gamecube.

Mario Kart

Best party game ever, imho.

1. Fix the rubber band AI on the Wii version.

2. Give us a way to dodge / protect from blue shells.~

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.... Wah! Wah! Wah! Wah!

Beyond Good & Evil.... Gief sequel now.

Portal 2..... Too short. No one wanted co-op go away, come back when you have the rest of my single player.

Fantastic Dizzy..... There are no flaws.

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
Assassins Creed... I love those games but I think I belong to the minority of actually liking the first game.

What annoyed me in AC2 and ACB was the lack of control during missions. In the first game, fair enough the tasks in all the cities were repetitive, but at least I had more control on how I will execute the actual missions.

In AC2 there were less control. For example in one mission Mario said something like "take some mercenaries and raise some hell!" To this Ezio agreed while I screamed at the screen NO, that's a terrible idea, I want to go sneaky stabby!! This was even more frustrating on ACB where they introduced 100% sync. Of course I want 100%, but I was given too many conditions; not to be seen, kill with hidden blade, in under 3 minutes, while sucking the hem of your robes and so on. I don't see them stopping that, but one can always hope...

I actually never understood how did the "animus" know, how exactly Ezio killed his targets? If it knew that, what did they need Desmond for?

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Does he really have to grunt every damn time he swings the sword? Not to mention the graphics have not aged well and... OH GOD I CAN'T CRITICIZE YOU *clutches game disk to chest* let's never fight again....

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Sorry OP but Persona 4 is the only game i could ever call perfect, therefore i cannot criticise it...

My 2nd favourite game would be Phoenix Wright T&T, the investigation sections are still as meh as ever and Mia's Objection! Is too mousey. But for it's faults, they gave good character development to the Judge of all people and for that, i salute you Capcom...

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
KotOR- felt the romances were badly done tbh

The Witcher 2- Its graphics are so good my computer struggles at times

Dragon Age Origins- The fade and Deeproads bits are sooooooooo long and boring

Mass Effect 1- shitty inventory

The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind- until my character hits lvl 7 or 8 where my sword actually hits stuff you are no fun (after that however you are amazing)

Edit: The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion- Level scaling, my fucking god i hate it! also the Shivering Isles has a glitcher after the main quest where you crimes never get resolved (fucking game breaker!)

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Starcraft 2: The story had a few plotholes, overmind being a puppet now and all. But the gameplay is flawless.

Mass Effect 2: Scanning for minerals, cheesy Shepard lines.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
Majora's Mask suffered because of Miyomoto. He wanted the game out before the Gamecube, so he cut the original 7 day long cycle to three, and only made 4 temples. Since what we have of it is so badass, one only wonders what it might've been if it was complete.

Does "being too short" count as a criticism? I guess the fighting is too easy, but that's true of almost every Zelda game.

Geo88

Nerdy Wordsmith
Jul 20, 2010
Knights of the Old Republic

The 20-level cap is ridiculous, and it severely inhibits my gameplay. If I want to maximize my Force abilities, I need to rush through Taris while doing as few sidequests as possible, which leaves me out credits and fun.

I'm sorry, KotOR... I didn't mean to hurt you...

KotOR II (with the Restored Content Mod)

Peragus. Just... Just Peragus.