Critics seem to hate movies based on kid's cartoons..

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Myndnix said:
lord.jeff said:
Myndnix said:
Well, for a start, all of those except Transformers are anime, not technically cartoons.
How are they not cartoons? being from another country doesn't change what they are. All those movies sucked you should of used the animated Batman movies as your point, which was well liked almost all around.
Technically, the word cartoon refers to unrealistic drawing, paintings, or animation intended for humour. Unless it's a comedic anime, it doesn't really fall under that definition.
That's also why Batman: The Animated Series is not called Batman: The Cartoon. Because it's not a cartoon by definition.

And someone already made the Mask of the Phantasm point.
Are saying pokemon wasn't made to be funny or Digimon because they both had way more jokes per episode then transformer. Pokemon even having several cartoon sight gags per episode.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
Because "Kids are stupid, they'll watch anything, Hurr Durr!" Props to any critic who calls them out on it and holds children's entertainment to a higher standard.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
If we're talking about stuff like the Transformers? They...kinda just suck. That's subjective, yes, but the point is there are plenty of valid reasons to despise them.

But I think a lot of modern film critics grew up the original stuff. I'm sure that colored their reaction.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Gatx said:
Generally they are pretty bad. I personally love the Pokemon movies, all of them. But usually only for their much more elaborate and detailed settings (the animators actually put a lot of work into that stuff), and the fact that Team Rocket isn't serving as the central antagonist to whatever is going on like they did on an episode by episode basis in the show.

[youtube]i1a34c65YxY[/youtube]
Holy crap adds a lot to the movie. If you have this, keep Mew's original slightly more dark intentions (yes, that's Mew and not Mewtwo), and remove the "fighting is bad" morality that was shoved in with the dub, it becomes a story about the nature of life and the morality of cloning. Though the crying thing still comes out of nowhere though.
I don't know if it's just me but the video won't show up.

I think you embedded it wrong

Falconus

Sep 21, 2008
Myndnix said:
lord.jeff said:
Myndnix said:
Well, for a start, all of those except Transformers are anime, not technically cartoons.
How are they not cartoons? being from another country doesn't change what they are. All those movies sucked you should of used the animated Batman movies as your point, which was well liked almost all around.
Technically, the word cartoon refers to unrealistic drawing, paintings, or animation intended for humour. Unless it's a comedic anime, it doesn't really fall under that definition.
That's also why Batman: The Animated Series is not called Batman: The Cartoon. Because it's not a cartoon by definition.

And someone already made the Mask of the Phantasm point.
Edit: sorry, I'm in a bad mood for some reason and I just said something confrontational and dumb, ignore this.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
Gatx said:
Generally they are pretty bad. I personally love the Pokemon movies, all of them. But usually only for their much more elaborate and detailed settings (the animators actually put a lot of work into that stuff), and the fact that Team Rocket isn't serving as the central antagonist to whatever is going on like they did on an episode by episode basis in the show.

[youtube]i1a34c65YxY[/youtube]
Holy crap adds a lot to the movie. If you have this, keep Mew's original slightly more dark intentions (yes, that's Mew and not Mewtwo), and remove the "fighting is bad" morality that was shoved in with the dub, it becomes a story about the nature of life and the morality of cloning. Though the crying thing still comes out of nowhere though.

Marik2 said:
I don't know if it's just me but the video won't show up.

I think you embedded it wrong
yeah, he embedded it all funny
(for reference Gatx, what you do is [ youtube=*code here*], though without the space at the start.
You don't need any /youtube or anything:

Either way WTF :mad:
my copy of the movie i have on dvd has a bonus feature saying 'the origin of mewtwo', and shows the very start of that(where they're out finding the fossil) but then instead of all that cool stuff afterward, it just jumped to the scene from the starting of the movie where mewtwo wakes up and the scientist says the 'dudes, we totally dreamed of a super awesome pokemon and like succeeded man' line.

Why didn't I get all that stuff in the above clip instead >.<

having watched that now:
That's pretty cool.
It even ties in with mewtwo's assistant lady, throwing you off thinking it's nurse joy by hinting that it might have been that girl instead in the same way mewtwo brought charmander bulbasaur and squirtle back.
And even ties in with the memory erasing thing mewtwo does at the end of the movie.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Some_weirdGuy said:
yeah, he embedded it all funny
(for reference Gatx, what you do is [ youtube=*code here*], though without the space at the start.
You don't need any /youtube or anything:
My bad, thanks for telling me, its fixed now. I usually check to make sure things work but was in a hurry.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Because they're adults. A lot of people hate the Pokemon movies. And yet when I was nine, I never met another nine year old who had seen them that didn't like them. Aside from girls. I'm not stereotyping, but I have yet to physically meet a woman that liked Pokemon when she was a kid.

But as has een said, critics, and most adults for that matter, find it hard to view children's things with a childs perspective. Sometimes, it's been so long, one can't even remember how to. Hence why out of all the kids shows that have come out in the last ten or so years, I only watch Regular Show, SpongeBob and Invader ZIM. Everything else just seems to childish to me. Doesn't mean it's bad, just means I don't want to watch it.

Almost kind of like My Little Pony.