Crossdressing in Anime's

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
I was reading Kuroshitsugi and a certain part has him crossdressing my friend came in and read over my shuolder and said 'Are you reading about girls again' and i said 'Its a guy' you can all imagine his response WTF

But there is a point to this thread why is it in Anime/Manga all the cross dressing guys look like girls [that sounded really bizarre] i mean how come they look better as girls then they do boys?

or is this some universal thing i just never realised

and also how come they never seem bothered by this 'oh you gotta crossdress' there always like 'OKAY' i never really got that

surely in some cases you could of just changed your hair colour or something

But whats your fave Anime with Crossdressing in it?

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Hourou Musuko (The Wandering Son)

It hasn't finished yet, but it's very thoughtful about addressing the issue of transgenderism. The characters are too mature, but you kinda forgive it. Anime wise, it's a little minimalistic (visual/audio), but definitely worth a look.

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
I remember that part, its hilarious.

This kind of thing isnt limited to anime though. I was playing singstar with a friend a few years ago, and we were singing Karma Chameleon by The Culture Club. The video had Boy George singing. It gets to the bit where he goes "im a man, without conviction" and my friend says "Haha, she said shes a man". I paused the game, turned to him and said "That is a man". The look on his face was priceless.

Also, traps are hot.

Still not gay.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Because Japanese culture is different from western culture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bish%C5%8Dnen

My favourite anime that includes crossdressing? Uh... I can't remember if any of the really good ones that I've watched actually had any crossdressing in them, so I'm saying MM.

Oh, and - without being able to provide any specific examples - I believe the characters are very often bothered by having to cross-dress.

Danny Truong

Mar 2, 2011
I like to think that people love it because

1: The potential mindscrews you can give to your friends when you show them a picture of said trap and say this is a wo/man. Case in point: this is a man
http://randomc.net/image/Otome%20wa%20Boku%20ni%20Koishiteru/Otome%20wa%20Boku%20ni%20Koishiteru%20-%2006%20-%20Large%2001.jpg

2: What you see is completely different from what it is. You see two traps kissing and see that its girl x girl and love it, why girls who know that its two traps kissing know that its boyxboy and love it. Everyone wins.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
My favourite would be Kuroshitsuji :3

The reason they do it I would gather is just cultural differences, and which is also the reason we see it as so wrong over in Western countries.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
A lot of anime characters look rather androginous I find, but I havn't seen much anime so perhaps that's a bit of an assumption.

Trezu said:
and also how come they never seem bothered by this 'oh you gotta crossdress' there always like 'OKAY' i never really got that
It doesn't take much for a guy to cross-dress. Seriously you should see how many are doing it for comic relief.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Hehe, the moment I read the title I though Kuroshitsuji.

Best of the 3 said:
My favourite would be Kuroshitsuji :3
It's a given that you'll be wherever Kuro is. =D

Celd

Nov 24, 2008
My favorite cross-dressing anime would have to be hands down Princess Princess. One of the most comical cross-dressing animes I have seen even over Kuroshitsuji which is one of my favorite animes ever.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
I guess my favorite one would be MM!, really under appreciated anime.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Let's see.. Minami-ke, Moyashimon, Sasameki Koto, Maria-sama ga Miteru [small](a very minor character in season..3? can't remember)[/small]. That's all that springs to mind without consulting some sort of list.
TeeBs said:
It's good, but it's a little off-putting how people in that show act like being a masochist is a disease.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
mireko said:
Let's see.. Minami-ke, Moyashimon, Sasameki Koto, Maria-sama ga Miteru [small](a very minor character in season..3? can't remember)[/small]. That's all that springs to mind without consulting some sort of list.
TeeBs said:
It's good, but it's a little off-putting how people in that show act like being a masochist is a disease.
Of course the protagonist had a reason to get rid of it. To him it was a diseases.

Daxter343

Dec 9, 2009
Most modern anime is meant to be aesthetically pleasing. Most characters in them are flawless. In addition, it has been shown that most Japanese people sympathize more with characters that have kind faces, which also tend to be feminine. That's why a lot of male characters in anime today look good in dresses (I don't really know, since I am a guy). I can name a few anime with male characters who don't fit the feminine look.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
mParadox said:
I have a prescription here for your glomping. *hands slip of paper*

OT:

mireko said:
Let's see.. Minami-ke, Moyashimon, Sasameki Koto, Maria-sama ga Miteru
Oh yeah, Moyashimon... forgot about that. Damned good series (histology-lite!).

Hayate no Gotoku had a few random bits, but I wouldn't really call it significant. *clap* Working! with that mad androphobic girl and her creepy dad, yeesh...

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
The male character seemed a bit bothered in things I've seen. For exmaple, Hayate the combat butler, and Kore wa zombie desu ka?.

And yes, I'd say they look better due to anime features being rather universal.

Also, ffs people, you don't pluralise with an apostrophe.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
The only one I remember seeing was in Slayers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/anime/6487-Anime-Review-The-Slayers], the first 3 seasons had a habit of putting the male lead in a dress in a particular episode number. He certainly minded it a fair bit as I recall, but you don't say no to Ms. Inverse...

Might have seen more instances, though nothing noteworthy enough to stick.