Crowdfunding Campaign Aims to "Besiege" Valve with Gabe Newell Impersonators

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
I guess its a "nice" idea butits not like valve dont know we want it. They are just dicking around as always and with the steam os and steam machine and source engine 2 all in the works. The way valve works they prob all thought wait.....lets bring all this out and then have half-life 3 on a new engine and that'll push our steam machines/steam os. Its been ages also and they know the wait is annoying hence why they started doing episodes till that started to take longer so they scraped it anyway. It will not be shit, will prob be underwhelming, but i say 2015 will be all about SteamOS and Steam Machines then maybe Source 2 and 2016 Half-Life 3 at E3.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
Heh. All I can see is the guys running this and the Gabe impersonators all sitting outside Valve HQ, when the real Gabe Newell steps out. He then opens the door for them like a nerdy Willy Wonka, ushering them all inside....

Where they are never heard from again.

Most likely fed to the developers to keep up their strength.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
If I was Gabe, I would never release HL3 just to spite those obnoxious arseholes. They are like those children in supermarkets who scream and roll on the floor when their parents don't want to buy them something. Pathetic.

f1r2a3n4k5

Jun 30, 2008
Aww, try not to be too harsh on them, you guys.

I would imagine it is pretty infuriating to be invested in a brand and be given no fan-service for a decade. Let them have this to keep them busy.

Granted, I have better things to do with my time and money.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
SmugFrog said:
Valve has admitted they haven't even started development of the game.
Uh....what?

If anything, the exact opposite is true.

* http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/23/gabe-on-ricochet-2-delay-but-he-doesnt-mean-ricochet/

* http://www.valvetime.net/threads/updated-half-life-3-left-4-dead-3-source-2-much-more-found-on-valve-project-tracker.243580/

* http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136691-Report-Valves-Source-2-Engine-Gets-Soft-Launch-in-Dota-2-Tools

There are a number of other articles and tidbits on the matter, but I think these are the most relevant.

BakedZnake said:
Scorpid said:
I know! It's almost like people have differing opinions to yours.

But that's just crazy. How could that possibly be? Clearly the only games people should care about are the ones you like, right?

joshuaayt said:
Employee #9421: Wait... President Gaben! I think we've made a mistake! It looks like people actually DO want HL3 after all!

President Gaben : Well, shit. Guess it's time to scrap ep 3 and move on.
That actually made me chuckle. Thanks for that. I needed a chuckle today.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Vigormortis said:
What are you talking about? I loved HL2 and HL1 but I can also recognize that holding my breath and refusing to breathe till Valve gives me what I want isn't going to make the game come out sooner. Soo stop with none sense like the above and play other games. As my mom would suggest when you stop worrying about Christmas and is when it'll be here before you know it. its not like Valve isn't ever going to go back to the well that is the HL series. Its such a draw for them it sucks in other games they make like Portal.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Scorpid said:
What are you talking about? I loved HL2 and HL1 but I can also recognize that holding my breath and refusing to breathe till Valve gives me what I want isn't going to make the game come out sooner. Soo stop with none sense like the above and play other games. As my mom would suggest when you stop worrying about Christmas and is when it'll be here before you know it. its not like Valve isn't ever going to go back to the well that is the HL series. Its such a draw for them it sucks in other games they make like Portal.
I think I might've quoted the wrong person. Even so, I'll address your points.

I never said everyone must wait on bated breath for the game. In fact, though I'm an avid fan of the series, I'll be the first to tell you that I'm not waiting anxiously.

That said, if someone wants to do so that's their prerogative. It's their choice. Anyone giving them shit over it is a jerk.

On a final note, I'd like to add that I'm a little insulted that you assume that I'm obsessed with the series to the point that I've never played anything else since, and that I only want the next installment because of some nostalgic zeal to be "12" again.[footnote]Just so we're clear, I was 21 when Half-Life 2 came out.[/footnote]

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Vigormortis said:
Uh....what?

If anything, the exact opposite is true.
Those are either out of date or not directly about Half-Life 3. I can't remember the exact site I found that interview with Newell on, here's one of them.

August 2 2014:

All this and more indicates that Valve and Newell are in no way interested in a Half-Life sequel so far. They are not thinking about it now and neither have they been thinking about it since the last ten years apparently. Earlier, we heard rumors regarding the release of the Half-Life 3 trailer during the E3 conference which has now come and gone.

http://airherald.com/half-life-3-release-date-rumors-rejected-valve-founder-newell-indicates-no-interest-in-sequels/5739/

16 October 2014:

He told the Washington Post that fans should not expect much when it comes to "Half-Life 3" as it may not be included in their plans in the near future. "Half-Life 2" raked in mixed reviews, and had reportedly failed in attaining a similar level of success as the first "Half Life" game.

"When we started out we were a single-player video game company that could have been really successful just doing Half-Life sequel after Half-Life sequel, but we collectively said let's try to make multiplayer games even though there's never been a commercial successful multiplayer game," Newell explained to Washington Post as he talked about the company's initial plans.

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/half.life.3.update.should.fans.third.installment.highly.praised.series/41639.htm

So yeah, they're not working on the game. Any proof that people talk about (former employee article) is simply concept art, information about Source 2, etc. There's nothing about Half-Life 3, there are no screenshots to see, they haven't done anything but brainstorm a story and make a few drawings (which, believe me, I would love to see but they're not going to show that stuff). I believe they've turned into a party house making so much money off of DOTA and Steam and they're just sitting back letting the money roll in.

The particular article I'm looking for said something to was a quote about there being "no interest" in making a Half-Life sequel. I can't find it right now, but meh. You can take that info and believe it or keep the faith, brother. I gave up a year or so ago.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
SmugFrog said:
I was already aware of that interview. Did you actually read the interview or just the coverage articles about the interview?

How has this decentralized decision-making process evolved over the the years? How would you compare how it runs now to when you had only 20 employees?

"I think there's just more much more of history of it now so people are willing to trust it more and be less worried that it's going to go in some poor direction. I just think that we're more confident now and we've got that experience in lots of things. When we started out we were a single-player video game company that could have been really successful just doing Half-Life sequel after Half-Life sequel, but we collectively said let's try to make multi-player games even though there's never been a commercial successful multi-player game.

Then we tried to do Steam. There were a bunch of people internally who thought Steam was a really bad idea, but what they didn't think was that they would tell the people who were working on Steam what to do with their time. They were like "that's what you want to do wit your time, that's fine, but we're going to spend our time working on Half-Life 2. We think you're kind of wasting your time, but it's your time to waste."

In retrospect, it was a great idea, right? So the key thing was that people bear the consequences of their own choices, so if I spend my time on it the only persons time I'm wasting is mine. Over time, I think people sort of recognize how useful it is for people to vote with their time. There is a huge amount of wisdom in people's decisions about what they personally want to work on next."

No where in that does he say they aren't working on the game. In fact, Half-Life 3 is only tangentially referenced because he brings up the series and what they were doing with it during the early stages of Steam development. This was well before 2004. Meaning it was before the release of Half-Life 2 and before development began on the Episode expansions. So it's a moot point.

Another thing that's questionable is this bit from the ChristianToday article:
"Half-Life 2" raked in mixed reviews, and had reportedly failed in attaining a similar level of success as the first "Half Life" game.

Half-Life 2 sits at a stately 96% on Metacritic. And a five second Google search of reviews yields a veritable tsunami of 9s and 10s out of 10s. I would would hardly consider those "mixed" reviews.

Likewise, Half-Life 2 was more commercially successful than Half-Life 1. Selling several million more units than the other.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_%28video_game%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_2

Looking into it further, one of the sites providing insight into this interview had this to say:
"Valve is also reportedly in a re-direction as the "Half-Life 3" release date's delay is blamed to another upcoming video game, Steam."

So Half-Life 3's delay is being caused by Valve prepping to release a new video game called Steam.

Yeah....

So what we basically have here is a slew of gutter-dragging tabloid sites misinterpreting an old quote and talking about things they know nothing about.

You'll have to excuse me if I don't take their assertions seriously.

That said, I can appreciate "giving up hope". With nary an 'official' word to the contrary it can certainly seem like Valve doesn't care anymore.

But from what I've seen, it seems far more likely that the game is in some state of development, even if it's only one person doing it.

I have no idea what reasons there might be for the delay, and I have no delusions that it's release is 'just around the corner', but I'd wager a fiver that there's still a decently sized team working on the game, in one way or another, right now.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Vigormortis said:
That said, I can appreciate "giving up hope". With nary an 'official' word to the contrary it can certainly seem like Valve doesn't care anymore.

But from what I've seen, it seems far more likely that the game is in some state of development, even if it's only one person doing it.

I have no idea what reasons there might be for the delay, and I have no delusions that it's release is 'just around the corner', but I'd wager a fiver that there's still a decently sized team working on the game, in one way or another, right now.
That's pretty much how I feel about it - like they just don't care about it. I'm a rabid Half-Life fan and have been following news about it since the E3 build up of Half-Life 2's imminent release (and then the unforeseen consequences in episodic development). So much so that I ranted on many gameboards and sent emails to Valve and Gabe that were never answered. I'm probably on a watch list somewhere...

I just don't believe they even really know where to go with the story. I think they kind of wrote themselves into a corner and they're not sure how they're going to proceed with it. Not only that, Half-Life 2 really brought that "interactive physics" to the PC, and changed FPS games. Everyone wanted to copy that, with Doom even having an expansion with a weapon similar to the Gravity Gun. So what is Half-Life 3 going to bring that is jaw-dropping and amazing? Better graphics? Better physics? I can't fathom how they're going to recapture that magic of that E3 announcement showing off Half-Life 2. A lot of newer generation of gamers don't understand what the big deal was; but in that video you can hear the shock and amazement as they were seeing things never done before in a game. For comparison to those people I point out that Half-Life 2 released the same month and year as Halo 2. Huge difference in graphics and physics, and the episodes they refined to a beautiful form (where I personally believe Episode 2 is a far better game than HL2).

From what I've been reading about Valve, no one is forced to work on a project really; and if they don't really know where they're going with it or how they're going to blow people away with something new and amazing, they're not going to do it.

Do you think we will see a release or announcement before 2018? If they're truly working on it, 4 years from now would be adequate time (on top of whatever they might already have) to at least announce something. I don't think we'll hear about it before then. I'd put my money that it won't be until after 2018 that it is even announced.

I really do hope you're right though. I'd love to see something announced, some bit of news, a screenshot or concept art; but that's not how Valve works. I hope to see a message from you saying "told you so!". :)

Vigormortis said:
You'll have to excuse me if I don't take their assertions seriously.
I don't take any of it seriously anymore. "Guy spots someone wearing a Half-Life 3 shirt!" "Guy takes picture of Valve offices and Half-Life 3 written on a board!" on and on. Who knows. We won't know anything unless there's a true leak or Valve decides to do a release. I hope they release a book or information letting us all know what happened during all this time and their thoughts about all the rampant speculation.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I don't think they've considered the logistics of this operation. How do you feed an army of Gabe Newells?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
XMark said:
I don't think they've considered the logistics of this operation. How do you feed an army of Gabe Newells?
I imagine with some kind of hybrid burger comprised of panda meat, gold bars for cheese, diamonds for onions, and wads of cash for lettuce.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
SmugFrog said:
I just don't believe they even really know where to go with the story. I think they kind of wrote themselves into a corner and they're not sure how they're going to proceed with it.
I'm actually not entirely convinced of that. They have a "bible", or a "rubicon" if you will, of all the key events, locales, and characters of the series. From what I've heard they have the story line plotted out well beyond the events of Half-Life 2 and it's episodes.

So, for my money, I'd wager the delay isn't because of narrative uncertainty.

Not only that, Half-Life 2 really brought that "interactive physics" to the PC, and changed FPS games. Everyone wanted to copy that, with Doom even having an expansion with a weapon similar to the Gravity Gun. So what is Half-Life 3 going to bring that is jaw-dropping and amazing? Better graphics? Better physics? I can't fathom how they're going to recapture that magic of that E3 announcement showing off Half-Life 2. A lot of newer generation of gamers don't understand what the big deal was; but in that video you can hear the shock and amazement as they were seeing things never done before in a game. For comparison to those people I point out that Half-Life 2 released the same month and year as Halo 2. Huge difference in graphics and physics, and the episodes they refined to a beautiful form (where I personally believe Episode 2 is a far better game than HL2).
Just want to say first that I agree in regards to Episode 2. I think it's the most cohesive and well executed entry in the series. Not perfect by any stretch, mind you, but certainly the one that displays the evolution of the series concepts.

As for your other point, who can say? Maybe that's part of the reason for the delay. A desire to include some new ground-breaking mechanic but not knowing of one to use.

Though, I have read that they had such an idea in mind. I recall Newell being quoted as saying they were attempting something "no one had ever done before". I can't for the life of me find the interview, so feel free to disregard that point as pure speculation.

If they did have such an idea, whether that idea panned out or floundered is anyone's guess. I'm inclined to think it may have, given the long delay, but there's also the possibility that it's taken much longer to design around than they expected.

From what I've been reading about Valve, no one is forced to work on a project really; and if they don't really know where they're going with it or how they're going to blow people away with something new and amazing, they're not going to do it.
This is mostly true. But at the same time many of those working at Valve have a deep-seeded love of the series. Many of them came to the company because of that love; that admiration for Valve's design philosophy.

So I doubt it would be hard for someone to gather up a few coders and artists to start working on the project. I could be wrong, of course.

Do you think we will see a release or announcement before 2018? If they're truly working on it, 4 years from now would be adequate time (on top of whatever they might already have) to at least announce something. I don't think we'll hear about it before then. I'd put my money that it won't be until after 2018 that it is even announced.
Could be the case, sure. If I had to guess, I'm not sure I could. I have no idea. It could be announced next month and be released a week later. It could be announced next year and not see release until 2020.

With nothing to go on I can't really venture a guess. I hope it sees the light of day in the near future, but I'm assuming nothing.

I really do hope you're right though. I'd love to see something announced, some bit of news, a screenshot or concept art; but that's not how Valve works. I hope to see a message from you saying "told you so!". :)
Nah. I'm not that petty. A smug wink maybe, but no I-told-you-so's.

;)

I don't take any of it seriously anymore. "Guy spots someone wearing a Half-Life 3 shirt!" "Guy takes picture of Valve offices and Half-Life 3 written on a board!" on and on. Who knows. We won't know anything unless there's a true leak or Valve decides to do a release. I hope they release a book or information letting us all know what happened during all this time and their thoughts about all the rampant speculation.
I'm mostly with you on this. The vast majority of things being rumored are just that...rumors. Vagaries and whispers created and perpetuated by the community and gaming news publications.

As I said, I presume nothing that I can't verify. Everything I speak of about the project is based on actual evidence. Like the interviews specifically quoting Newell, the JIRA leaks, SFM and Source 2 content assets, etc. This is why I only say that there's evidence the project is in progress, nothing more.

Though, there's stronger evidence for active development of Left 4 Dead 3, at this point.

As a final thought, I believe a second Raising the Bar book isn't beyond the realm of possibility. If one is made, it'll probably be an e-book in the same vein as the Portal 2 The Final Hours book, if only because it's easier (and cheaper) to make a digital book and distribute it via Steam than it is to print thousands of hard-covers.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Vigormortis said:
Though, I have read that they had such an idea in mind. I recall Newell being quoted as saying they were attempting something "no one had ever done before". I can't for the life of me find the interview, so feel free to disregard that point as pure speculation.
I don't really view this as "ground-breaking" since it's just animation and time to do so really (unless they can type words in a script file and the character acts it out, which, knowing Valve...) Was it this about sign language where he mentions a deaf character for "Episode 3"? http://kotaku.com/5332698/valve-studying-sign-language-for-deaf-half-life-character (and associate youtube video).

If Episode 3 had released more timely I can see that being a big deal in gaming - much as how Half-Life 2's lip syncing changed characters now longer standing there flapping their mouths for other games.

Could be the case, sure. If I had to guess, I'm not sure I could. I have no idea. It could be announced next month and be released a week later. It could be announced next year and not see release until 2020.
I think that's kind of how they wanted to release Half-Life 2 - surprise the world with an announcement and release shortly after. But then with the unforeseen consequences (the leak/hack, Steam issues). I really hope that's what happens with the next one; an out of nowhere announcement and something to the effect of "by the way it will be out next month."

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
SmugFrog said:
I don't really view this as "ground-breaking" since it's just animation and time to do so really (unless they can type words in a script file and the character acts it out, which, knowing Valve...) Was it this about sign language where he mentions a deaf character for "Episode 3"? http://kotaku.com/5332698/valve-studying-sign-language-for-deaf-half-life-character (and associate youtube video).
No, it wasn't that. Though I do recall him talking about it.

If I'm remembering the interview correctly, he never actually detailed what it was they were doing. All he said was that they were trying some new game mechanic no one had tried before and that it was part of the reason for the delay.

It might've had something to do with those internal projects the company did some years back. This was around the time one team came up with the F-stop concept.

If Episode 3 had released more timely I can see that being a big deal in gaming - much as how Half-Life 2's lip syncing changed characters now longer standing there flapping their mouths for other games.

I think that's kind of how they wanted to release Half-Life 2 - surprise the world with an announcement and release shortly after. But then with the unforeseen consequences (the leak/hack, Steam issues). I really hope that's what happens with the next one; an out of nowhere announcement and something to the effect of "by the way it will be out next month."
More than likely this is what will happen. Valve rarely ever reveals a project years in advance of it's release date.