Cryptic Games Promises "Dramatic" Quality Improvement

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Void(null) said:
Jack Emmert has made a lot of promises in the past 6 years and he has failed to keep the majorly of them.

City of Heroes has been so much better with Paragon Studios at the helm instead of Jack's Cryptic. Champions Online and Star trek Online were both Abysmal.

I am not holding my breath for Neverwinter Nights 3.

Just how can such a Franchise stoop so low?

NWN: Bioware - Amazing
NWN2: Obsidian - Poor
NWN3: Cryptic - Are you fucking kidding me? You expect me to pay $50 for that turd in a box?
NWN 2 started out bad, but, Mask of the Betrayer was fantastic, it just...umm, took them an entire game to get it right with an expansion. ^^'

Actually...BioWare's Neverwinter Nights wasn't so hot either in my opinion, and again, didn't really get good until Hordes of the Underdark, which at that point was it's second expansion.

Mainly the problem I had with the first NWN was overall the dialogue was just woeful, I mean, going from Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape Torment to NWN, I found it very difficult to stay interested, often finding myself grinding through rather than reading the dialogue, whereas I could devour every text window in PS:T or BG.

And do let's be honest, Neverwinter Nights, even for the time was an ugly, ugly looking game.

Slangeveld

Jun 1, 2010
Aeshi said:
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
The title made me lol. HARD.
At least they can accept their faults, but somehow I'm not convinced. If most any other developer had been behind this I would be excited but Cryptic... just nope.
Weren't people saying the same thing about EA a while ago?
Yes, and EA still fails horribly at making games. :O They're a good publisher I guess.

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
Slangeveld said:
Aeshi said:
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
The title made me lol. HARD.
At least they can accept their faults, but somehow I'm not convinced. If most any other developer had been behind this I would be excited but Cryptic... just nope.
Weren't people saying the same thing about EA a while ago?
Yes, and EA still fails horribly at making games. :O They're a good publisher I guess.
I like red alert 3 :(

sosolidshoe

May 17, 2010
Why? Why the fuck do people have to keep making shitty half-MMO's out of really awesome single player franchises? I wanted to play KotOR 3, not TOR. I want to play NWN3, not Champions of Neverwinter Online.

In NWN2, I could create a character with just about every class from DnD history thanks to mods, and that plus the great story is what kept me playing it multiple times. Five classes? That's not DnD, that's worse than the Eberron DDO game! I bet you won't be able to have any cool class combos.

And then, it's Cryptic, a developer so shoddy they couldn't even hold my attention long enough to finish the fifteen minute tutorial for Champions Online.

Ugh.

TheBlackKnight

ESEY on the Kross
Nov 3, 2008
GothmogII said:
NWN 2 started out bad, but, Mask of the Betrayer was fantastic, it just...umm, took them an entire game to get it right with an expansion. ^^'

Actually...BioWare's Neverwinter Nights wasn't so hot either in my opinion, and again, didn't really get good until Hordes of the Underdark, which at that point was it's second expansion.

Mainly the problem I had with the first NWN was overall the dialogue was just woeful, I mean, going from Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape Torment to NWN, I found it very difficult to stay interested, often finding myself grinding through rather than reading the dialogue, whereas I could devour every text window in PS:T or BG.

And do let's be honest, Neverwinter Nights, even for the time was an ugly, ugly looking game.
Also, the characters of the OC campaign were meh, 'specially Aribeth.... urgh. Also the hub based layout of the game world was icky at best.

On a side note: Didn't get the city over Neverwinter axed in the 4th Edition?

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Abedeus said:
Guild Wars with Neverwinter Nights settings?

Sorry, gotta get a cleanex for my DROOOOL. Too bad it's all empty promises from Craptic.
Galbrezu said:
Well with Bill Roper is no longer in the picture maybe they have a chance!

Hellgate *shudder*
Maybe... Or maybe it wasn't just Roper that made the games fail ;d
Bill roper should jsut crawl back to Blizzard as a voice actor. I mean one of the most memorable parts in Warcraft and Warcraft 2 is his voice as the narrator.

As for the statement from cryptic:

Well good that you finally realized that. To bad you botched a potentially awesome MMO though.

Chris Spray

Jul 4, 2010
To paraphrase: Our last two games weren't that good. Our next game will be better.

You can't accuse the guy of hyperbole.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Seventh Actuality said:
City of Heroes sucked balls but I'm finding Champions Online to be awesome so far, I hope they don't plan to wash their hands of it.
I actually jumped onto this thread hoping to hear that they're cleaning CO up a bit, I absolutely LOVED the customization, but the game is so very underpolished and felt bizarre to play. (not to mention boring for me, but that's a side effect I get from playing MMO's, I think I need a different mindset for them)

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Kurokami said:
Seventh Actuality said:
City of Heroes sucked balls but I'm finding Champions Online to be awesome so far, I hope they don't plan to wash their hands of it.
I actually jumped onto this thread hoping to hear that they're cleaning CO up a bit, I absolutely LOVED the customization, but the game is so very underpolished and felt bizarre to play. (not to mention boring for me, but that's a side effect I get from playing MMO's, I think I need a different mindset for them)
I'm honestly not sure what the problem is with Champions Online. I jumped into playing it without knowing anything about it past the first couple of "Shamus plays..." articles and I think it's great in pretty much all respects. What do you mean by underpolished? It's definitely not "Age of Conan at launch" underpolished, I know that, but I'm only level 16, so maybe it goes down the shitter later.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Seventh Actuality said:
Kurokami said:
Seventh Actuality said:
I'm honestly not sure what the problem is with Champions Online. I jumped into playing it without knowing anything about it past the first couple of "Shamus plays..." articles and I think it's great in pretty much all respects. What do you mean by underpolished? It's definitely not "Age of Conan at launch" underpolished, I know that, but I'm only level 16, so maybe it goes down the shitter later.
I've actually only played the demo and followed it intently from before launch. As I said the customization is great, I like ALOT of the hero type features, but the world itself looks INCREDIBLY underwhelming, alot of the missions seemed stupid (without the intent of being stupid, not as though they tried to parody themselves, or the situation) and I found the whole intro mission (the only thing you get to play in the demo, mind you) to be very very boring and unhelpful, useless really at introducing players to the game. I can appreciate that I've only played the demo thus far, but the world really did seem incredibly 'meh' to me. (feel free to tell me otherwise, as a player of the game your expertise is obviously greater than mine)

Oh, and the way enemies move, get hit, etc always looked very glitchy. Also one of the problems which I noticed when playing the game, as was also mentioned by Shamus (I'm gonna take a crack and assume that's where it said it), is that the controls don't seem to work properly and always fixate on the least desirable action to take. Of course there different control layouts (FPS, MMORPG, RPG, I recall the first two atleast anyway) which I didn't play around with, so maybe its better if you do, or has improved somewhere along the line.

Edit: also, I'm looking to give it another go during the free September event thing, how easy is leveling, would you say? And is it greatly important to have a party or is it simple enough to solo missions?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Wait wtf since when did Bioware Sell their NWN franchise? o_O

:edit: o snap they didn't make NWN2 either! no wonder y it sucked. Blagh not a game on my radar. especially now that its in Cryptic's hands. :S