Crysis 1... exceeded expectations

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Hey, so I just got a new PC and I thought it would be cool to stretch it's legs in Crysis. This is a game I've never played before and only barely knew what it was about, because my old PC would have melted trying to play it.

This game is awesome! Now, I'm only in the 2nd level now but the AI is really good and the controls and options and destructibility and simply the shear realism of it is just amazing.

Sorry if this is old news to some, but if you've thought about getting Crysis but didn't know if it's worth it, I think it definitely is. I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, but the single player is really fun. It seems to me the game was pretty much only hyped on it's graphics quality, but it's a lot more than that. So far I've really felt like I had to plan every stealth attack, keep a sharp eye ahead for patrols, and just generally I've enjoyed kicking some ass.

Davrel

Jan 31, 2010
Yeah, apart from Crytek doing their usual job of producing a great game and then going "OMGALIENSLOL!!!" its pretty fun. Runs on a surprisingly wide-range of machines too.

Kyouhen

Apr 2, 2010
Only on level 2? Love the options and the AI? Heh, wait until the halfway point. Then you'll see why so many people hate it. Hope you aren't too attached to those stealth attacks.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
I was stealthy through most of the game. I know a lot of people didn't like it but I sure did.

I believe a good portion of the multiplayer has moved into the Mechwarrior: Living Legends mod (which is pretty good BTW)

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Kyouhen said:
Only on level 2? Love the options and the AI? Heh, wait until the halfway point. Then you'll see why so many people hate it. Hope you aren't too attached to those stealth attacks.
Interesting... heh.

Yea, I just started playing on Sunday so I only put a few hours in, and it's tough on Hard difficulty. I've died quite a few times lol.

Also, my last auto-saved occured exactly as I got blown up (I don't know how but I think it was a mine) so I have to go back and replay about 30minutes of the game ><. That's annoying.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Of course it's not only engine. Crytek was always great in terms of making games with astounding graphics, but also really good challenge in terms of outsmarting AI soldiers (some say it's just broken, I say suck it up *****, it's not that hard if you're clever as well). Far Cry was is probably my favorite FPS of all time (aex aequo with Call of Duty I), and Crysis is also great.

Apr 28, 2008
I was surprised by it to.

I actually bought it because the demo kicked ass. It was about an hour long, which is epic by demo standards these days, and did a good job of introducing you to the world and characters.

Love the game, shame it gets hype only because of the graphics, when the gameplay is surprisingly great.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Actually I have a question about the graphic settings, if someone can explain it to me. Many games you can set the object draw distance, but not in Crysis. So I had it running in Ultra for about 10 mins but I was annoyed that small objects like sticks on the ground only loaded withing 5-10 meters of me. I turned everything down to High except for Objects and Textures on Ultra, and it greatly increased the draw distance. So is it simply a matter of it draws as far and wide as your system can handle at whatever settings you're using?

Audioave10

Mar 24, 2010
I think it does scale to your systems abilities. Don't forget you can find in the game files the Sandbox Editor. Install that and you can put yourself into any map and also add any of the weapons.
You'll find user created single-player maps to download too.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Ah cool so Crysis is modded, well that's usually fun. I haven't explored the game's files too much but I guess the editor is in there. Or is it a separate download? I sometimes like to try level editors just for the hell of it.