Crysis Dev Unveils CryEngine 3

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Crysis Dev Unveils CryEngine 3

Crytek's at GDC 09 for the week, and they're showing off the newest version of their superpowered engine that's so good it'll make you cry, or maybe just make you cry when you think about how it'll cost to build a PC that'll be able to use it.

Though most people might believe that they'll never be able to afford a computer that can run any of its games, none of that negative talk is going to stop Crytek [http://www.crytek.com] from making their "all-in-one game development solution" better, harder, faster and stronger. The best, hardest, fastest and strongest version, dubbed CryEngine 3, is on display at the Game Developer's Conference underway this week, and, regardless of whether or not your mom's PC will be able to handle the thing, it sure does look impressive.

Hard to tell exactly how much better it is compared to the old CryEngine from this tragically compressed debut trailer [http://media.pc.ign.com/articles/965/965172/vids_1.html], but the general impression is that it pumps out the visuals just as well as CryEngine 2 except even Cryier: more vivid, more detailed, more dynamic. A stone bridge explodes and the bricks crumble and fly believably, a view of a futuristic metropolis is colored by countless light sources, space marine cybersuits are extra-shiny. With "scalable computation and graphics," Crytek claims that the engine is "truly Next-Gen-Ready."

And when they say "next-gen," they don't just mean your rig. In addition to being a development platform for the personal computing device, CryEngine 3's built for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 as well.

"With CryENGINE 3 we are delivering our best game development technology that enables our clients to achieve their vision on current and future platforms to develop games such as MMOs, action games and more," Crytek president Cevat Yerli said [http://www.crytek.com/news/news/?tx_ttnews[tt_news]=143&tx_ttnews[backPid]=9&cHash=6236291d18]. "Our complete game engine solution enables realtime development, ensures teams are able to maximise their own creativity, saves budget and creates greater gaming experiences. Also with our solution developers can start working on their next generation games today."

Who knows? Maybe you won't have to start slinging drugs to afford to play the next Crysis at an acceptable framerate. Check out the trailer and pray that'll come true.

Markness

Apr 23, 2008
I remember the first time I saw the Crysis graphic on a super pc, I hope these are just as astonishing.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Hmm, at this rate I might as well buy a gun and re-enact games. Perhaps this time the engine will be properly optimized.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
Dommyboy said:
Hmm, at this rate I might as well buy a gun and re-enact games. Perhaps this time the engine will be properly optimized.
You're a funny guy!

Anyway, I'll start saving now for the new system...

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Keane Ng said:
In addition to being a development platform for the personal computing device, CryEngine 3's built for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 as well.
Yay! I can't afford the liquid nitrogen I'd need to get so I can play Crysis, let alone a brand new PC.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Crysis worthy pc? £600 at the very maxium. £450 to £500 is a more likely price. Actaully if you do a bit of grubbbing you could probly get one for £300!

Crytek are excellent at pushing their tech, i just hope the engine wont be limited by the weaker consoles.

karmapolizei

Sep 26, 2008
I wonder which dev company would want to make an MMO with the CryEngine. Don't they know MMOs work best with less detailed, but also less demanding engine? You know, so you can get more people to play?

Anyway. This is sooooo last decade. It looks nice and all (VERY nice to be exact), but I can't repeat it often enough: Cutting edge graphics have punched PC in the face as a gaming platform, and will continue to do so. Devs need to stop doing this and make GAMES instead, especially games anyone can play. .

entwinex

Mar 19, 2009
It looks okay but I've seen better looking footage from Crysis, seems like CE3 is just CE2 optimized for consoles.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Keane Ng said:
In addition to being a development platform for the personal computing device, CryEngine 3's built for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 as well.
Yay! I can't afford the liquid nitrogen I'd need to get so I can play Crysis, let alone a brand new PC.
I know! Me either!
Good to know consoles aren't out of this Cry-licious loop.

...although I can't really afford any new games right now...

Dang.

ingsoc

Feb 12, 2008
Enough with the idiotic whining. Everyone knows Crytek was looking to push the graphical and interactive boundaries with Crysis. But guess what, the game is a year and half old and it does not take much more than a mainstream PC to play it at a reasonable resolution with more than acceptable frame-rates. You can get a Dell Inspiron 530 with a 24 inch flat panel for under 60 with 4GB of memory and a solid processor, 5.1 speakers keyboard, optical mouse and printer. Add in a $85 dollars from newegg for a 8800GT graphics card (probably $70 for an HD 4750 when they come out next week) and you have a fully featured PC capable of 40+ frames per second on high settings in Crysis. If you build your own, you could do it even cheaper.

Some devs need to continue to push the boundaries, to say otherwise is stupid. I mean really, Crytek is only one of the few that are actually doing it anyway so what is the point. And anyone who has actually have played Crysis would understand that the game is far more than the prettiest scenery ever seen in a game. The fact that you can interact with just about anything makes for some awe inspiring creativity on the part of the player. The fact of the matter is the developers themselves have punched PC gaming in the face by viewing profitability as a right, not a privilege.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
Too bad no one has released a new AI engine yet... anyways this is the best looking engine I've seen so far. It's a shame though that you have to spend a billion dollars just to afford a new gaming rig that is able to run this engine :/

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Russian_Assassin said:
Too bad no one has released a new AI engine yet... anyways this is the best looking engine I've seen so far. It's a shame though that you have to spend a billion dollars just to afford a new gaming rig that is able to run this engine :/
Actually, I just read that Havoc are going into making an AI solution. Think it was on Joystiq.

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
"And unfortunately, we were unable to show you our promised presentation of the CryEngine 3 due to CCP being unwilling to lease us use of their servers system; in fact, they locked all entries to the facility, set up crosses in front of all main exits and drew lines of salt on the inner windowsills. I believe I heard weeping and the distinct sound of prayers. Ahem. Despite this unfortunate setback, we do plan do make our December, 2012 presentation."

-The Management

Mr.Bubbles43

Jul 23, 2008
I hope this engine adds more destructibility, something more similar to the frost engine.

The graphics in 3 look the same as 2 which I am perfectly fine with if they add more cool physics things to play around with.

wild_quinine

Mar 18, 2008
Keane Ng said:
And when they say "next-gen," they don't just mean your rig. In addition to being a development platform for the personal computing device, CryEngine 3's built for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 as well.

...So they don't mean 'next-gen' at all - they mean LAST gen?

Case in point: I always found it hilarious that Sony released the PS3 just a few days after nVidia shipped the 8800GTS (the world's first consumer DirectX 10 part), thereby categorically releasing a LAST gen, not even a CURRENT gen product.

The PS3 was never next-gen, ever, and anything that's designed down from DX10 to run on it is probably taking baby-steps for the benefit of a larger market. I can understand why they're trying to make a buck on the consoles - hell, everyone else is - but calling it a 'next gen' move is disingenous.

I remember when they didn't release CoD 3 for the PC, and their spin on that was 'we couldn't release it on the PC because it's a truly next gen experience'.

I'm pretty sure next gen is PR speak for 'absolute bollocks'.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
looks very tasty althought more cryengine2.5 than 3 hopefully we will get more platform orientated videos and news.
Next gen has been a meaningless term sinces it applied to consoles from 2006 aside from that i find it funny that crytek is going to do a better job than than first party console developers on their first try