Crysis is broken

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I've been really enjoying the few hours I've been able to put into Crysis so far. That is, until I reached a completely broken and therefore impossible to finish level. I'm talking about a level still early in the game, where you're supposed to go into a village and rescue a hostage in a school. I've infiltrated it from several sides, I've killed everyone, I've gone to the school first, I've gone all around the town and into the HQ building first, I've saved the hostage a few times, killed all the tanks... and that's it. No more mission updates. It's the infinite level. I even decided to just continue on into the jungle, regardless of not having been instructed to but it didn't matter.

I looked it up online and found an article someone wrote saying that he had the same problem. He laid out how to do it - enter over from the main bridge, head to the HQ and get a mission to go inside (tried, didn't get said mission), enter and then it updates and says to continue on to rescue the hostage.

I'm surprised a game of this calibre could be so broken. It tells you to do a mission, you do it, and it pretends like maybe you did it wrong so as punishment it won't tell you what to do next, or let you do it. It also seems to neglect giving a common mission update about going into the HQ. On my first time in the village after rescuing the hostage and killing the tanks, I had a green dot on my map to go to the HQ (after several playthroughs of this part of the level, it's the only time I've had that) but going there did nothing. I guess I was supposed to do it before rescuing the hostage. Or not. Who knows, I didn't have a mission for it anyway, just the dot.

Needles to say I'm rather pissed about this game. I've spent a couple hours in this one stupid ass level and it won't let me progress. I did really like this game, but what a broken piece of crap. I'll give it another shot tonight, but I'm thinking I just lost my money.

If anyone can tell me the exact order you're supposed to do this level to get it to not be broken, I'd greatly appreciate it because this is so, so stupid.

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
Yeah, my dad got so pissed off at that. I didn't play the game myself (don't have a beasty PC), but I can imagine that would be quite annoying, even if it only affects a small number of gamers.

Also
Wolfram01 said:
Needles to say
I had the last laugh!

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Well I'm playing on Steam so I'm pretty sure it updated it before I ever started playing, but I haven't looked specifically for a patch yet. I just had this happen yesterday.

Davrel

Jan 31, 2010
I thought this was gonna be a joke about Crytek insisting on shoving aliens into everything they do...

OT: I don't recall ever hearing of (or encountering) the issue that you seem to be having a problem with; I think calling it a a "broken piece of crap" might be putting it a bit strongly.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
...the game is not broken, that's probably a rare glitch or something because I have never had that happen to me in my game.I've had free reign on how approach my objectives from the get go and never had any troubles getting objectives.I dunno, restart your game,update it? Maybe even a full reinstall may fix it.

WestMountain

Dec 8, 2009
That's the end of a level, simply bring up the console and type the level that starts after that one like this: /map "mapname", there's nothing special storywise in that "rescue hostage" mission so you won't lose that much doing this.

Btw this is not a so common glitch so it's kinda acceptable that Crytek didn't notice it.

falcon1985

Aug 29, 2009
I've had it happen to me, exactly like you said. I just did a full re-install and loaded my saved game. Result: Game no longer broken and i continued my rampage through the island.

EDIT: I play it on a PC, so i'm not sure what the solution would be on a console.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
never had it happen it me the several times i've played it through, last time was 2 weeks ago.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
Its happened to me on the second and third level and its pissing me off. I have been forced to download other peeps' saves to see what happends.

Fucking Crysis

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
WestMountain said:
That's the end of a level, simply bring up the console and type the level that starts after that one like this: /map "mapname", there's nothing special storywise in that "rescue hostage" mission so you won't lose that much doing this.

Btw this is not a so common glitch so it's kinda acceptable that Crytek didn't notice it.
I would do that, and that's good advice, except that I've never played the game before and couldn't begin to fathom what the next level would be called.

falcon1985 said:
I've had it happen to me, exactly like you said. I just did a full re-install and loaded my saved game. Result: Game no longer broken and i continued my rampage through the island.

EDIT: I play it on a PC, so i'm not sure what the solution would be on a console.
I'll try this if I can't find a patch or something. I really don't want to redownload it but I guess if that's the only option... so be it.

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
I've played through on all difficulty levels and have never encountered this problem. Also using Steam, so I assume the versions would be the same...

dommyuk

Aug 1, 2008
Wolfram01 said:
WestMountain said:

I would do that, and that's good advice, except that I've never played the game before and couldn't begin to fathom what the next level would be called.

falcon1985 said:

I'll try this if I can't find a patch or something. I really don't want to redownload it but I guess if that's the only option... so be it.
You never have to redownload Steam games, just right click on the game in the game browser and select properties. Go to the local files tab and use the 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache'.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
I have never had that happen, and I don't think you can call a game "a broken piece of crap" when something like that happens. You know what? One time in HL2ep2, during the arena battle with the Antlion guards after the antlion cave sequence, I killed the antlion guards, but Alyx wouldn't come up to me and talk, so I could progress. Does that make ep2 a broken piece of crap? Of course not, it was a freak once-in-a-lifetime bug that has never happened again.

wasalp

Dec 22, 2008
falcon1985 said:

I'im pretty sure its a pc only release.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
j0z said:
I have never had that happen, and I don't think you can call a game "a broken piece of crap" when something like that happens. You know what? One time in HL2ep2, during the arena battle with the Antlion guards after the antlion cave sequence, I killed the antlion guards, but Alyx wouldn't come up to me and talk, so I could progress. Does that make ep2 a broken piece of crap? Of course not, it was a freak once-in-a-lifetime bug that has never happened again.
Putting aside the questions about why it has irritated you so much, that he insulted this game, I have to point out: He has restarted the mission again and again, the bug is reoccurring. Like wise others have posted they encounter the same bug, here as well as elsewhere. They offer advice to how they managed to get around it, which is what he was asking for.

Now if HL2 did that to you, made it so every time you defeated the antlions the game would fail to progress... well you might actually be calling it a broken piece of shit and understandably so.

This removes it from a once in a life time, restart and move on, occurrence to a bug that cripples the game in a small minority of players. Something they need to fix and should expect, you can't catch them all in the beta tests. Till then, a work around needs to be found and others have offered their advice on such.

I wish him luck with it, seeing I have yet to encounter said problem and can offer no advice bar that already stated here: Back up your saves and reinstall.