Crytek Predicts OnLive Success, in 2013

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Crytek Predicts OnLive Success, in 2013

German developer OnLive [http://www.crytek.com/] and says that such systems could in fact work - in about, oh, 2013 or so.

OnLive, a "cloud computing-based" system that will make use of centralized servers and streaming video to offer on-demand gaming without the need for high-end hardware, was revealed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90423] in late March. The system will work with conventional mid-range PCs, including laptops and netbooks, or through a "MicroConsole" provided by OnLive, prompting co-creator Steve Perlman to predict that the current console generation would be the last one.

The announcement of OnLive and Game Developers Conference [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90454-David-Perry-Unveils-OnLive-Competitor], said a service like OnLive will be technologically possible, but not anytime soon.

"We had our research in 2005 on this subject but we stopped around 2007 because we had doubts about economics of scale," he told GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/crytek-streaming-games-service-viable-in-2013]. "We saw that by 2013 - 2015 with the development of bandwidths and household connections worldwide that it might become more viable then."

The weak link, according to Yerli, is the broadband technology necessary to provide smooth, uninterrupted gameplay, which he claimed isn't yet in place. "It doesn't take a lot to make a video-based renderer, but what you need is the right infrastructure that is beyond the technology we have, it's more like cable net providers and communication networks," he said. "They have to provide fast bandwidths and connectivity in order to allow such technology to excel."

Yerli admitted that despite Crysis Warhead [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/crytek-streaming-games-service-viable-in-2013] being one of OnLive's headline titles, he hadn't actually seen the system up close, and said that despite his reservations he hoped it worked out. "I want to see it myself. I don't want to say it's either 'top or flop'. I hope it works for them because it could improve gamers lives," he said. "The technology of video-based rendering is not actually a very new concept but they do some things that others didn't do before so it will be interesting to see."

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
OnLive will never be successful, especially with ISPs looking to cap everyone's bandwidth usage.

onlivefans.com

Apr 3, 2009
By 2013 there will be no ISP capping. Broadband access will be unlimited due to better technology.
Frank - OnliveFans.com Onlive Info [http://OnliveFans.com]

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Right...onlivefans.com...Have you looked into your magic ball and saw it become reality?

9NineBreaker9

Nov 1, 2007
Well... damn. This is one year too late.

Don't they know we'll all be dead from 2012 by then!? D:

SonofSeth

Dec 16, 2007
It might not excel right away, as with all new technology, but it will work. That's all it takes.

SonofSeth

Dec 16, 2007
That's a bit pessimistic don't you think? I can understand how in your limited experience world seems predictable and simple but if you study ways in which business works you can see how strongly competition and free market influence the policies.

Just because all you ever knew is bandwidth limitations is not reason enough to proclaim that is how it will remain for the foreseeable future.

destroyer2k

Oct 12, 2008
Zeeky_Santos said:
onlivefans.com said:
By 2013 there will be no ISP capping. Broadband access will be unlimited due to better technology.
Frank - OnliveFans.com Onlive Info [http://OnliveFans.com]
what, you say that just because they have better technology the companies wont bother to capitalise on a capping system that will help them rake in the millions?

P.S.
I suggest that you don't name yourself as if you were some sort of PR robot designed to handout false bias. maybe you could make it look like you were a person whose opinion really mattered rather than the PR robot that you clearly are.
It is very simpple logic technology will be better, but what do the users needed if the company lock that technology. I live in EU and don't have this kind of problems as such an act in our ISP would be terrible. But in america they will have to eventualy drop this cap or users won't upgrade to better connection witch mean less profit. So they have two options less or more money to make. And it is pretty clear that they won't go with the cap as this mean less money (lower connection>users pay less>less money for isp).

destroyer2k

Oct 12, 2008
Zeeky_Santos said:
destroyer2k said:
*Snip Snip*
onlive will never work. no company will ever have enough servers to allow for smooth gameplay that has low lag for every body. the idea that you simply plug a controller device and tv into the internet to play a game is absurd. if i were you i would stop talking. now.
Well not really as I do know basic (maybe more) of ISP, video streaming (lag free streaming of course), and of course the hardware. This is where you think that can't work. Look at this most game nowdays use 2 cores max, but what to to with other 2 cores, in this case simpl just use the other 2 cores for some other game.

And let put in perspective: I have a ISP tv (tv chanells via internet) and for a full HD it has 1 second lag and it use only 1mb internet line and it streams via mpeg2 standart. So if onlive is completly different it can have lag free (video standart).

So maybe you think it is imposiblle but I know some thing about this type of deal and I am sure it is possible (worked in ISP) the only problem in onlive is one thing resolution. I don't think that people will go from HD resolution to SDTV. Ow and if you think that you know more than I that give me evidence that it is imposible.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
I ran some calculations and came to the conclusion that a 20mbit connection allows you to play on 1024x768... at 1.05 fps. Movies can be encoded for smaller file size but games, due to their unpredictable nature, can't so you are stuck transmitting the entire image in a lump or encoding it after generating before sending and then decoding it before displaying, lagging everything and crippling the server(encoding video takes about as much cpu usage as the average game).

Yerli is talking bullshit again, nothing new to see here, move along.

This is the guy who loudly proclaimed that the ammount of pirate copies of crysis exeeded the number of computers able to run said game at that time by a 150% margin.

destroyer2k

Oct 12, 2008
Asehujiko

Your caculation is falls (if you know some basic of this thing you would si that your caculation is more BS than entire world). I worked in ISP and the isp has 1920x1080 resolution for tv program (no upscaling on the costumer end) and it has 1s lag and uses only 1mb connection. And this is done with mpeg2 (or mpeg4 it depends what is the connection max on the costumer side).

Like I said before give proof that this is imposible ow and not your "calculation" but proven facts.

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
And, in 2013, when they are still failing, everyone will have forgotten that they predicted success by then. The perfect plan.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
But...

Will they accomidate controllers? I know that all my experiences of any game with a controller on a PC were horrible.

I'm sorry, but the level of fun with most games on the PC, rather than a console, drops immensely. If consoles die off, I'm not going to be very happy.

destroyer2k

Oct 12, 2008
Erana said:
But...

Will they accomidate controllers? I know that all my experiences of any game with a controller on a PC were horrible.

I'm sorry, but the level of fun with most games on the PC, rather than a console, drops immensely. If consoles die off, I'm not going to be very happy.
You can still use mouse and keyboard, and if you want to play with mouse&keyboard you just need browser plug-in and no console.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
destroyer2k said:
Erana said:
But...

You can still use mouse and keyboard, and if you want to play with mouse&keyboard you just need browser plug-in and no console.
You misunderstand-
I Hate using the mouse and keyboard.

destroyer2k

Oct 12, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Hang on... if you're streaming a game, that means you have no physical copy of it, right? Or at the least, you don't have all the necessary data on your hard drive to run it? So, what's to stop this OnLive simply becoming the next step in the 'games as rentals, not as possessions' business model that all the publishers seem to be following these days?
Well they will rent games, but they will pay devolopers for each rent they give.

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
I'm sure this will be Great!

Just as soon as we get fast, RELIABLE non-capped internet. -_-
I'm not getting my hopes up.