CSI Set to Take on Hackers with CSI: Cyber

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
A professor I worked with once went to New York with a giant touch screen monitor for a scene with Gary Sinise swiping through mass spectra. It was silly, and I doubt anybody noticed our institute's logo on the screen. The collective response could be summed up by, "I don't know what I expected."

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
RaikuFA said:
I expect this to fail. All the crappy writers get on the spinoffs and after Miami's "Stoned Cold"* I have no hope for any CSI spinoff.

*Stoned Cold was absolute shit when it came to CSI. It is also very trigger happy with bully victims. The victim was a **** that drove a kid to try and kill themselves when she stole his clothes and made him walk around the school naked. Or pretty much commited rape when she told a girl that she'd stop bullying her if she had sex with a guy at a party then proceeded to slut shame her in front of everyone at the party. And she even told the principal "if I ever get in trouble, I'll say you molested me." And yet the whole episode it trys painting her as this sweet innocent girl that couldn't have done any of it.

Want a good episode about bullying on CSI? Watch the Vegas ep "Bully for You" or "Unleashed". Formers a season 2 ep while the latter is a season 10 one.
You saw that CSI Miami episode as well, from what I remember, they pretty much had no sympathy for her or the mom. They actually gave the victims a lot of screen time and none at all to the bully so I fail to see how you came up with the conclusion that they made the bully seem sweet.

As for whether this will fail or not, I believe it would but for the reason I stated with Criminal Minds, they would have to go way too over the top in order to keep people interested and I doubt the characters will be as engaging as in NCIS (which I liked but stopped after it got boring with the lack of an overarching story)

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
That was the most convoluted plot synopsis involving tech-lingo I ever read! Bob says he anticipates this new series, I think only to use as joke fodder, because I could taste the hatred dripping off the screen. If that's what we can look forward to with CSI:Cyber (dear God, please come up with a better title), then I will not watch. Sober, anyways. Shows what I know about what's new in the CSI-verse nowadays; I did not know until today that Miami and NY ended their runs, and the only new CSI spin-off I've seen ads for is the one set in New Orleans, starring Scott "Jonathan Archer" Bakula. One episode I really liked is the one with the not-Star Trek convention, and they had to solve the murder of the creator of a Battlestar Galactica-esque dark-n-gritty remake, whose body was found on the set.
I think Bob found the subject for a future episode of The Big Picture: what popular entertainment gets wrong about hacking. If you want how it really works, read this article from Cracked:
http://www.cracked.com/article_20797_5-hacking-myths-you-probably-believe-thanks-to-movies.html
Izanagi009 said:
Oh dear god, this is going to end stupidly

The issue with any police procedural is that the procedure eventually gets boring and repetitive; there is only so many times we can "enhance images", "analyze fibers" or anything else so they focus on extreme and absurd crimes. That can eventually get to the point of complete stupid and we lose all tension or suspension of disbelief.

This occurred with a show I actually liked, Criminal Minds. Before the concept was exploring crimes stemming from psychological pathologies but the last time I left, the crimes are getting more insane, the "conditions" of each of the killers more outrageous and generally all fear and tension is gone because what i'm seeing is not an actual man with severe mental issues but a parody of those type of people.

Edit: I think I know what my response to show will be
Criminal Minds is especially warped. My parents are big fans (for some reason, same with the various CSI's and NCIS's) and I asked them if they did an episode with an "unsub" who, in comic-book hero terms, started like Batman but wound up more like The Punisher.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Darth_Payn said:
That was the most convoluted plot synopsis involving tech-lingo I ever read! Bob says he anticipates this new series, I think only to use as joke fodder, because I could taste the hatred dripping off the screen. If that's what we can look forward to with CSI:Cyber (dear God, please come up with a better title), then I will not watch. Sober, anyways. Shows what I know about what's new in the CSI-verse nowadays; I did not know until today that Miami and NY ended their runs, and the only new CSI spin-off I've seen ads for is the one set in New Orleans, starring Scott "Jonathan Archer" Bakula. One episode I really liked is the one with the not-Star Trek convention, and they had to solve the murder of the creator of a Battlestar Galactica-esque dark-n-gritty remake, whose body was found on the set.
I think Bob found the subject for a future episode of The Big Picture: what popular entertainment gets wrong about hacking. If you want how it really works, read this article from Cracked:
http://www.cracked.com/article_20797_5-hacking-myths-you-probably-believe-thanks-to-movies.html
Izanagi009 said:
Oh dear god, this is going to end stupidly

The issue with any police procedural is that the procedure eventually gets boring and repetitive; there is only so many times we can "enhance images", "analyze fibers" or anything else so they focus on extreme and absurd crimes. That can eventually get to the point of complete stupid and we lose all tension or suspension of disbelief.

This occurred with a show I actually liked, Criminal Minds. Before the concept was exploring crimes stemming from psychological pathologies but the last time I left, the crimes are getting more insane, the "conditions" of each of the killers more outrageous and generally all fear and tension is gone because what i'm seeing is not an actual man with severe mental issues but a parody of those type of people.

Edit: I think I know what my response to show will be
Criminal Minds is especially warped. My parents are big fans (for some reason, same with the various CSI's and NCIS's) and I asked them if they did an episode with an "unsub" who, in comic-book hero terms, started like Batman but wound up more like The Punisher.
well there was that episode with Frankie Muniz killing the gang members who were linked to his girlfriend's murder or the episode where a magician/musician/i can't really remember was being framed by his promoter for murders that were being done by a crazy fan in order to make him more visible.

Don't quite remember any case involving a man going into brutal assaults then murder in the name of vigilantism but I wouldn't doubt it

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Theme song: Pinball Wizard? God I hope so.

Look I know it will be I Can See For Miles, or The Seeker, but I really want it to be Fiddle About.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Izanagi009 said:
RaikuFA said:
I expect this to fail. All the crappy writers get on the spinoffs and after Miami's "Stoned Cold"* I have no hope for any CSI spinoff.

*Stoned Cold was absolute shit when it came to CSI. It is also very trigger happy with bully victims. The victim was a **** that drove a kid to try and kill themselves when she stole his clothes and made him walk around the school naked. Or pretty much commited rape when she told a girl that she'd stop bullying her if she had sex with a guy at a party then proceeded to slut shame her in front of everyone at the party. And she even told the principal "if I ever get in trouble, I'll say you molested me." And yet the whole episode it trys painting her as this sweet innocent girl that couldn't have done any of it.

Want a good episode about bullying on CSI? Watch the Vegas ep "Bully for You" or "Unleashed". Formers a season 2 ep while the latter is a season 10 one.
You saw that CSI Miami episode as well, from what I remember, they pretty much had no sympathy for her or the mom. They actually gave the victims a lot of screen time and none at all to the bully so I fail to see how you came up with the conclusion that they made the bully seem sweet.

As for whether this will fail or not, I believe it would but for the reason I stated with Criminal Minds, they would have to go way too over the top in order to keep people interested and I doubt the characters will be as engaging as in NCIS (which I liked but stopped after it got boring with the lack of an overarching story)
I remember Horatio trying to paint the killers as these monsters when he confronts them. Though if this were Law and Order, those parents would've claimed self defense and probably get not guilty.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
RaikuFA said:
Izanagi009 said:
RaikuFA said:

I remember Horatio trying to paint the killers as these monsters when he confronts them. Though if this were Law and Order, those parents would've claimed self defense and probably get not guilty.
Well, to be fair, it's a brutal stoning, a bit primitive and overly angry but understandable. Still, we live in a system of law and stoning isn't part of it so I can understand Horatio's reaction, a bit much given what the parents went through but again, system of law

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
hermes200 said:
And I thought NCIS was terrible, but this. And, just for reference, NCIS is the show that gave us this:
I bet most people are going to refer to the show as; CSI: Two idiots, one keyboard.

Hollywood can't do technology right, ever. They should stop trying, they will only make it worse.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Izanagi009 said:
RaikuFA said:
Izanagi009 said:
RaikuFA said:

Well, to be fair, it's a brutal stoning, a bit primitive and overly angry but understandable. Still, we live in a system of law and stoning isn't part of it so I can understand Horatio's reaction, a bit much given what the parents went through but again, system of law
True, it did seem though that they were kinda backed into it. Knowing her, if the police got involved while she was alive, she'd probably cry rape with an officer and be untouchable.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"because digging through sex site backlogs will be easier without any men involved"
Reallllllly? Talk about sexism, huh?

Anyway, I groaned every single paragraph at how awful this is.
Yeesh! Gives me a honest to god shiver down my spine even.

"You can pay stuff with Bitcoins!", so far so innocent yet massively insulting to the audience, but:
"Computers are EVIL magic that can do ANYTHING to fuck you, innocent viewer, over!!!" can be detrimental to society.