Cthulhu RPG Dev Trying to Break Out of Xbox Live

Hulyen

Apr 20, 2009
I'll definitely have to check the bank account and throw at least a few bucks - I love their games and have been pestering my friends and co-workers to try them out.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
I think I'll go buy Breath of Death and Cthulhu saves the world, and if their good I'll donate some money. I also love it when indie company actually make a direct connection to people like you guys just did. Really, really cool.

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
Fusioncode9 said:
I think I'll go buy Breath of Death and Cthulhu saves the world, and if their good I'll donate some money. I also love it when indie company actually make a direct connection to people like you guys just did. Really, really cool.
As somebody who's played Cthulhu Saves The World, it's a fun game. It was a faithful homage to the Super Nintendo/Sega Genesis era JRPGs (you know, back when they were actually RPGs and not glorified movies) with plenty of humor to spare. If you like games like that and appreciated the humor of, say, Earthbound, you'll probably get a kick out of Cthulhu Saves The World.

Also, to the creators, I'll have to check my bank account as well, but I might donate a few dollars. I would like to see this Cthulhu's Angels mode, and I'm assuming Umi and October would be two of the characters in this mode?

Zeboyd Games

Dec 7, 2010
Yes, if we are able to create the Cthulhu's Angels mode, Umi and October would be two of the playable characters. October would start out at a lower LV than in the normal game so you'd be able to customize her a bit differently this time around.

The third playable character would be Molly the Were-Zompire from my previous e-book of the same name. That e-book was originally intended to be a full blown RPG anyway so it'll be nice to stick her in an RPG even if it's just a silly side mode. Oh and Molly did plenty of dimension hopping in her own story so it's not like sticking her in another game breaks continuity or anything. :)

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
WTF? There's a Cthulhu game on Xbox Live and I didn't know about it? C'mon! I even went looking for one a short while back! Was I not looking hard enough, or has it materialized under my nose? I need to write this down.
Well, Company that has a name that I can't spell by instant memory, tommorow you will have $3 on your way to $3,000. Hope it helps some. I hate JRPG's, but this looks extremely amusing and fun.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
the whole regular XBL and a section just for indie games isn't really doing it for me

even if you don't want/care about Achievements, it's still stuck in its own tiny corner amidst all the big Arcade stuff where the majority of users don't see it. raise it up to the same level (i.e. out of the IG bin) if the developer shows some promise (which in this case...does)

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Zeboyd Games said:
As for shafting Europe, Cthulhu Saves the World is available in every country in the world that has XBox Live Indie Games including several major European countries like the UK, France, and Germany. If you can't buy it, it's because Microsoft does not support indie games in your country. And if you're talking about the game only being in English, we're a three person team - we don't have the resources to translate the game, test the game in each language, and then market it in each language. At one point, we considered translating the game into German since we had a translator willing to help out there, but in the end, the extra time programming and debugging multiple langauges outweighed the benefits.
Firstly, let me apologise for saying Europe; I'm used to just lumping Australia in with European digital distribution stores because of the bloody stupid European PSN, which includes Australia and New Zealand. To be honest, I don't know how it works on the XBLA in Australia. All I know is that everyone talks about these games, and how good they are, and as far as I can see, there is absolutely no reason why Australia shouldn't have access to them. We are an English speaking country. While we don't have a specific "Indie Games" section on the store, there are still indie games sold within the main games section, and I don't see any reason why Microsoft would choose not to sell it here. Both Zeboyd and Microsoft would profit from these games being sold in Australia.

The only reason I can imagine that are not sold in Australia is because someone very high up at Zeboyd Games has at some point been sexually violated by an individual of Australian origin and has henceforth refused that any Australian be allowed to play their games. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
I would have gladly donated with no reward... but I LOOOOVE world maps, especially of the type that came with the old school games like Zelda, the old Final Fantasy games, and so on. I'd love to see this team move up!

Zeboyd Games said:
Hi, this is Robert Boyd, the founder/designer/programmer/writer of Zeboyd Games.

I was rather surprised to see this article. We didn't do a press release for this fundraiser - I just posted on our website, our twitter account, and a few forums where I have a presence. We were targeting the fundraiser at our friends, family, fans and supporters and not the general populace. I'm not upset about this article or anything, just a little surprised.
Not sure if you follow along a lot of the major news sites, but I've noticed that the Escapist team really tries to dig up the deep stuff for games it likes. If it wasn't a news site, I'd say they're a bit stalkerish, but as it is, they're just being extremely thorough! This is the same place I first heard of minecraft, which they diligently keep track of, and also Johnathan Blow's next project, which I can't wait for. Gotta have more games!

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Zeboyd Games said:
Hi, this is Robert Boyd, the founder/designer/programmer/writer of Zeboyd Games.
Obvious potential flame war starter, but I'm actually interested in your honest business responses:

Why did you not do this for either PSN or iOS, or, perhaps less antagonistic, do you have plans for either the PSN or iOS versions of your game?

What factors were the biggest part of your decision to deploy on XBLA first?

No matter what your answers are, I wish you success in raising capital, and even more success on returning it with a gain. ;)

Zeboyd Games

Dec 7, 2010
Andronicus, the reason why XBox Live Indie Games aren't allowed in Australia is because the Australian government has idiotic censorship rules about videogames. XBLIGs are unrated and so the Australian government doesn't allow them (note: they're unrated because getting official ratings are expensive, not because they're inappropriate in most cases). If our games were on XBLA instead of XBLIG, then we might be able to release in Australia, but XBLA costs more money than we can afford at the moment. So don't blame us or Microsoft, blame your own government.

We started out with XBLIG development because the barrier to entry is the lowest. Since I already owned a PC & a 360, becoming an XBLIG developer only cost $99/year to register (all the development software is free). Becoming an iOS developer would have requited purchasing a Mac & an iPhone/iTouch/iPad and becoming a PSN developer would have been even worse and required getting official approval from Sony and purchasing an expensive development kit. Plus, XBLIG is easier than most platforms to develop for since it uses C# which is good for us since I'm a hedge programmer (self-taught).

Will we support the PSN in the future? Probably not. The PSP is on death's door and the PS3's sales have been seriously lagging behind the competition of late. More importantly, the system was just recently seriously cracked so piracy is likely to become rampant - not exactly a great environment to start developing for. I'm a big fan of Sony as a gamer (loved the PS2 back in the day and the PSP is my second favorite system after the 360), but it doesn't make a lot of business sense at the moment to support them.

As for iOS support in the future, that's a bit more likely, though we still haven't decided anything for sure there. We've received lots of requests to put our stuff out on various phones so there's probably a market for us there. The big problem is porting - whereas porting to the PC or WP7 would be relatively easy since our games use XNA & C#, porting to iOS would require a complete engine rewrite since they use different programming languages. The ideal circumstance would be if an experienced iOS developer or publisher came to us and wanted to license our games for the iOS.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Zeboyd Games said:
Andronicus, the reason why XBox Live Indie Games aren't allowed in Australia is because the Australian government has idiotic censorship rules about videogames.
Yet they are available in Germany...

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Zeboyd Games said:
Andronicus, the reason why XBox Live Indie Games aren't allowed in Australia is because the Australian government has idiotic censorship rules about videogames. XBLIGs are unrated and so the Australian government doesn't allow them (note: they're unrated because getting official ratings are expensive, not because they're inappropriate in most cases). If our games were on XBLA instead of XBLIG, then we might be able to release in Australia, but XBLA costs more money than we can afford at the moment. So don't blame us or Microsoft, blame your own government.
How much would it cost to have one of your games rated? My credit card awaits.

Zeboyd Games

Dec 7, 2010
If I'm not mistaken, ESRB ratings for smaller projects cost about $800 to procure. I don't know how much it costs to get rated by whatever organization is responsible for ratings in Australia.

Of course, it's not that simple. We would still have to publish on XBLA to get it in Australia and that would cost tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars.

But hey, if we are able to release a PC version, we won't have to deal with the XBLIG restrictions and so people who don't live in one of the XBLIG supported countries like Australia will be able to purchase the game.

Oh and to my great surprise and joy, it appears that our kickstarter project has already raised over a thousand dollars after only being up for a little over a day. Wow. I'm truly grateful.

Nero Haven

Jan 14, 2011
Love the games, and would love to support Zeboyd. Only problem is, by the time I have the spare cash to donate(a little over a week, just spent all I could on a birthday gift for my girlfriend), the 3000 dollar mark will have most likely been hit. Will the donation page be taken down after that goal is reached? If so, will there be alternative methods to donate, even without the special rewards?

Darksqueee

Apr 21, 2010
Hey guys. I bought "Cthulhu Saves The World!" after finding this thread, and damn, what a good game it was. I want to thank you guys for making such an awesome homage to both cheesy RPGs of yore and the light-hearted take on the Lovecraft mythos. If a game can make me laugh continuously, it is a damned good game.

If you make a sequel, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.