Ctrl+Tab: Viricide

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
There is now a Ctrl + Tab fan group [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Ctrl-Tab]! Again, I would like to thank everyone for your support, you people are great!

Viricide

To begin with, all Viricide seems to be a decent shooter. You control a "User" set up with an Anti-Viral Unit, as well as a series of upgrades called "software updates", which you need to collect bits of data, called, in a stoke of imagination, "bits", to activate. These are retrieved from the remains of eliminated viruses. Controls are basic, and while the bits become harder to obtain with enemies spamming the screen on later levels, the difficulty is consist throughout.

There are, however, some areas where the game rises from mediocrity. The gameplay flows from fight to defeat to fight again with only two taps of the spacebar. There is no penalty to defeat, meaning you can repeat levels over and over again (and you will) until you win. But that is not what makes this game as absorbing as it is. Other shooters have done this before, and many have done it better.

Remember in Portal when GlaDos would say something like "Dying here will result in immediate failure"? It's that kind of dark humour that to appears in the between level screens, the "You have died" screen and even the upgrade screen. But more than the jokes, the interest is the person that the story revolves around. GlaDos was somewhere between human and machine, which made her intriguing. EXADI (Extremely Advanced Intelligence) has the same attraction in this, blurring the borders of Advanced Intelligence and humanity. I won?t spoil anything, but the story that progresses in short snippets between levels has more emotion than a thousand fallen brothers-in-arms in the latest "Overgrown Tank Men VII: Hoorah".

And pay attention to the background. You will know it when you see it.

P00dle

Feb 1, 2009
Well written and good choice of game.

Keep it up, maybe this will lead to something regular on the escapist :D

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Ctrl+Tab? Not bad, but Alt+F4 would've been better.

You make the game sound quite good. I'll check it out.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
The review is quite nice, you have actually got me to google the game as I am typing...

P00dle

Feb 1, 2009
The Cheezy One said:
Didn't get what you meant about the background tho'
What was i supposed to see?

The Cheezy One

Dec 13, 2008
P00dle said:
The Cheezy One said:
Didn't get what you meant about the background tho'
What was i supposed to see?
if you really want to know, ill tell you, but i think its worth finding yourself

Thelonesun said:
You'll know it when you see it.

Seriously.
you saw it then?

Da_Vane

Dec 31, 2007
Yeay! I'm a peer! :D

On reading the review, it seems like a good first effort. It's quick and concise, getting into the main drawing point of the chosen game. The only flaw that I can see, if you can call it that, is that the writing appears to lack confidence, but this improves as you progress, and no doubt will continue as you produce more of these, which I would urge you to do.

As for the name (because this is obviously such a deal breaker) Ctrl + Tab works as a homage to Alt + Escape. However, Alt + Tab would have been slighty better, as this is the keyboard shortcut for switching windows in Windows... useful for when the Boss is coming and you don't want to get caught actually playing these games!

I'm off to play the game now, but I just wanted to critique the review on it's own merits, without regards to the game choice and my own experience with the game. I'll probably come back afterwards and share that too!

The Cheezy One

Dec 13, 2008
Da_Vane said:
Yeay! I'm a peer! :D

On reading the review, it seems like a good first effort. It's quick and concise, getting into the main drawing point of the chosen game. The only flaw that I can see, if you can call it that, is that the writing appears to lack confidence, but this improves as you progress, and no doubt will continue as you produce more of these, which I would urge you to do.

As for the name (because this is obviously such a deal breaker) Ctrl + Tab works as a homage to Alt + Escape. However, Alt + Tab would have been slighty better, as this is the keyboard shortcut for switching windows in Windows... useful for when the Boss is coming and you don't want to get caught actually playing these games!

I'm off to play the game now, but I just wanted to critique the review on it's own merits, without regards to the game choice and my own experience with the game. I'll probably come back afterwards and share that too!
Thanks, but as for the name, ctrl does everything that alt does in relation to windows, but for tabs. for example, alt and tab swaps the tabs in your internet browser. ctrl and f4 closes the one you have open. i thought this one would work slightly better
the thing about confidence i understand, as the start is one of the few things i didnt change before posting it. most of the rest of it i edited at some point, so i was actually worried that it wouldnt sound consistent. for example, it was getting to be a bit long, so i took out a lot of the petty gripes i put in for filler. however, this meant that where it says
To begin with, all Viricide seems to be a decent shooter.
it used to say
To begin with, all Viricide seems to be a working yet bland shooter.
however, without backing up why i think it is bland, this seems inconsistent with the rest of the review, which is now fairly praising.
i caught that one at the last minute, but i worried i didnt catch any others. Another thing i worried about was basically copy-pasting the alt+escape formula, which would not be interesting.

as one of the people who encouraged me to make this, do you have an idea for a date i could put these up? i reckon i could easily make one a week

Da_Vane

Dec 31, 2007
I think I saw it as well. It was "two" weird for words.

Having played the game, i must admit that I enjoyed it, although I do fairly suck at shooters in general, and such games tend to be a matter of perseverance and stamina than fun sometimes. This got to that point near the end, but I also enjoyed the story and wanted to find out what happened. The ending seemed a bit harsh though.

With this in mind, I must say that your review of this game is spot on, and I thank you for sharing this one with me. Especially the humour - I was asked to assist my flatmate while playing this, and I was like "Gimme a sec. Okay, now I Am Very Dead. How can I help you?" Cue bemused looks from my flatmate...

Since the status of Alt + Escape is unknown, I would suggest avoid competing with it in terms of release dates. So, how about a Sunday/Monday release? This gives you time to work on this over the weekend, and gives readers something to do at the beginning of the week, either as part of a Sunday chillout session or to cure that "Back to Work" Monday feeling?

If you get a few of these under your belt, approaching the big E might be an option to help keep Alt + Escape going if there's difficulties. I certainly cannot wait until the next one!

The Cheezy One

Dec 13, 2008
Da_Vane said:
I think I saw it as well. It was "two" weird for words.

Having played the game, i must admit that I enjoyed it, although I do fairly suck at shooters in general, and such games tend to be a matter of perseverance and stamina than fun sometimes. This got to that point near the end, but I also enjoyed the story and wanted to find out what happened. The ending seemed a bit harsh though.

With this in mind, I must say that your review of this game is spot on, and I thank you for sharing this one with me. Especially the humour - I was asked to assist my flatmate while playing this, and I was like "Gimme a sec. Okay, now I Am Very Dead. How can I help you?" Cue bemused looks from my flatmate...

Since the status of Alt + Escape is unknown, I would suggest avoid competing with it in terms of release dates. So, how about a Sunday/Monday release? This gives you time to work on this over the weekend, and gives readers something to do at the beginning of the week, either as part of a Sunday chillout session or to cure that "Back to Work" Monday feeling?

If you get a few of these under your belt, approaching the big E might be an option to help keep Alt + Escape going if there's difficulties. I certainly cannot wait until the next one!
sounds good mate
if i do ever get into the big E (this makes me sound like a druggy) ill see if i can get a cushy job for you, possibly even a guest appearence ;)
thanks for the support overall, you dont know how much i appreciate it
i think sunday is good, cos all thats on at that time now is the sunday funnies

Cyanin

Dec 25, 2009
Dude, nice choice. I rarely rate Alt-Escape for the game review, more just the game itself, and that was a thumbs up, good luck trying to follow Funk anyway.
In a sentence, i'll be waiting for next week's.

You should use the comments on the last Alt-Escape about details of new uploads though, easier to track and link to these.

Da_Vane

Dec 31, 2007
Mr. Funk just announced that Alt+Escape is on indefinate hiatus right now, so I'd say this is a good time to pimp Ctrl+Tab as a viable replacement, or even just a stop gap, until the Funkster returns. Maybe the big E would be willing to set a page up for you should you get a few of these under your belt.

The Cheezy One

Dec 13, 2008
The next one will be today at around 5pm GMT, not sure when that is for our overseas brothers and sisters

The Cheezy One

Dec 13, 2008
new one has been posted
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.203481-Ctrl-Tab-Higher

The Cheezy One

Dec 13, 2008
Alright boys and girls, its shameless plugging time!
I have put a lot of thought into this (Someone asked me to about 20 minutes ago) and have decided to make a Ctrl + Tab group!
This means that you can all be updated to new reviews every week!
Acceptance will be granted on favouritism and how great you think I am (in other words, joining is unrestricted)

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
The Cheezy One said:
Alright boys and girls, its shameless plugging time!
I have put a lot of thought into this (Someone asked me to about 20 minutes ago) and have decided to make a Ctrl + Tab group!
This means that you can all be updated to new reviews every week!
Acceptance will be granted on favouritism and how great you think I am (in other words, joining is unrestricted)
I think you are greater than the greatest being who ever lived, would you like an apple?

Oh, and viricide was awesome, but once you had triple shot and max fire rate, it became a shooting gallery. Exadi is ready for work...