Cuba Criticizes Call of Duty: Black Ops

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Holy shit! Even Cuba is joining the COD:Black Ops bash bandwagoon.

And you cant kill a man with such an awesome beard.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
hypothetical said:
I think this calls for a game where you get to assassinate the president of the U.S. Maybe a developer in Iran should get that to the market.
Beaten to it by JFK Reloaded [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JFK:_Reloaded], made by a bunch of Scots. Unless you meant an actual living president in which case I'm pretty sure Reagan was still alive when Interstate '82 was made and he was an endboss.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
cobrausn said:
Woodsey said:
cobrausn said:
Woodsey said:
Actual communism doesn't have a government by the way.
Neither does 'actual' Capitalism, but we work with the examples we know.
That's because capitalism is an economic system, not the opposite of communism.
One promotes (enforces?) communal ownership of property and a wageless, classless society, whereas the other promotes private ownership of property (and the means of production) and a society based around the idea of wages and profits.

As there is no singular definition of either communism or capitalism they can't 'be' opposites, but in practice they tend to be.
Communism is a political ideology that encompasses social and economic systems. Capitalism is just an economic system - you can't place it on a political scale like you can with communism.

Heatray

Sep 1, 2010
So much QQ from this game! First MW2 fanboys, then quick scoping fanboys, now Cuban fanboys?!?! Who's next on the Delicious QQ Beverage train?

I think I might buy this just to reward Treyarch for pissing so many assholes off.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Can't say I've played the series, but...

Well, on one hand, the psychological comments are way off. Sure, games can affect you, but if they do, you likely had other problems already.

Now, having a game take place in an existing conflict is... questionable. Personally, I find it a bit exploitative (sure, you can do it as a very serious tribute and whatnot, but in practice, that's not what's done ever), but that view isn't likely to go down well on these boards, so I'll shut up about it.

All the same, a game having you assassinate someone who's actually alive? Seems rather tasteless to me. Then again, somehow, I doubt the person concerned actually minds. Slightly amused, maybe, but probably not offended.

And really, if you want an over-the-top, ridiculously American game, there's always Metal Wolf Chaos in any case.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
cobrausn said:
silverbullet1989 said:
how the hell do you fail to assasinate someone 600 times!?!
By some reports. Probably meaning Cuba state media.

"Fidel Castro found a hair in his soup this morning, obviously an attempt by American secret agencies to kill our glorious leader with poisoned hair follicles."
sad thing is thats about as silly as some of the real plots
Here is 2 i know the US have tried:
Fungus in the scuba mask
Exploding Cigar

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
cobrausn said:
Woodsey said:
Actual communism doesn't have a government by the way.
Neither does 'actual' Capitalism, but we work with the examples we know.
Who has a Capitalist Government?

OT: Maybe if they actually tried to assassinate Castro we should of hired a trained assassin like Altair or Ezio.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Yeah, because everyone knows that Castro was a paragon of virtue.

STFU Cuba.

jaketheripper

Jan 27, 2010
Oh blah blah blah, just something else to whine about. if cuba made a game(LMFAO) where you had to assassinate the leaders of america we wouldnt *****....oh wait XP

sapphireofthesea

Jul 18, 2010
cobrausn said:
silverbullet1989 said:
how the hell do you fail to assasinate someone 600 times!?!
By some reports. Probably meaning Cuba state media.

"Fidel Castro found a hair in his soup this morning, obviously an attempt by American secret agencies to kill our glorious leader with poisoned hair follicles."
Actually more along the lines, America sucks at it (at least in Cuba). (hear me out)
They tried invading and it was Cubans themselves who went and got the army to get rid of them. I suppose (like with the invasion) America puts too much weight on the idea that Cubans want Castro out.
*I grew up in the Caribbean and contrary to what US media protrays most of us in the Caribbean have no problem at all with Castro and his governement (and neither do most Cubans).

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
teh_Canape said:
honestly, this does makes kinda sense

nothing personal, but y'all north americans just cant leave past failures go, can you

I mean, so many recreations of US winning over Vietnam War, and now attempts to kill Castro

just leave the past alone

again, nothing personal, it's just something too common in the medium
I'm just going to go ahead and say that you're trolling. At least, I really hope you're trolling because if that's serious... well, the Vietnam War was a massive failure on all accounts, and at the best of times it was a standstill. Anyone who believes that we won the Vietnam War should look at Vietnam today; they're still a communist state. However, if you mean so many recreations of World War II, then you would be correct.

To your statement on leaving the past alone... I say no. You don't leave the past alone. You move on from it, yes, but you don't leave the past alone. You look back and you learn from it. Some people learn about the past from videogames and then they'll get interested in the real thing and do research on it. You definitely do not leave the past alone.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Woodsey said:
Communism is a political ideology that encompasses social and economic systems. Capitalism is just an economic system - you can't place it on a political scale like you can with communism.
All I'm saying is they cannot both happen at the same time and be 'ideal' or 'true' systems at that point. If you have a 'true' communist system, it can't be capitalist. If you have a 'true' capitalist system, it can't be communist. You may not be able to equate capitalism with politics, but you can go so far as to say that that they are antithetical.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
AngelOfBlueRoses said:
yeah, I meant the vietnam war recreations, as for the leave the past alone, I may have chosen the wrong words, what I meant (mostly) is that they still go with the "kill castro" stuff, I didnt say it was right or wrong, just pointing it out

and kinda 75/25, most of it was serious, the rest is a lil' trolling because my pc cant run Black Ops T-T

but yeah, I didnt meant "fuck the past" as I see it says now that I re-read it

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
sapphireofthesea said:
They tried invading and it was Cubans themselves who went and got the army to get rid of them. I suppose (like with the invasion) America puts too much weight on the idea that Cubans want Castro out.
Well, I don't recall an 'American Invasion' of Cuba, unless you're talking about the Bay of Pigs, which was just a CIA sponsored rebellion. Not really the same thing.

And like any communist state that has ever existed, those who do want their leaders out can't say anything about it. The only real problem I have with Cuba is the same problem I have with every communist nation - the leaders institutionalize themselves, suppress dissent, and treat the populace like children. And just like a beaten child, the populace is conditioned to trust their leaders implicitly and not to ask too many questions.

I may not be an expert on Cuban politics but the Human Rights Watch appears to agree with my sentiment.

agentironman

Sep 22, 2009
When did they create this game? Fidel isn't even the leader of Cuba anymore. His brother is. Way to stay current.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
I was disgusted by that scene though, didn't have to shoot the other person in the room.

ReaperzXIII

Jan 3, 2010
600 times? Seriously your most elite of agents, your trained killers, stoic killing machines failed 600 times?!!! Just shoot the guy and be done with it, is it really that hard to kill ONE guy, did they have to go through 7 temples collecting medallions, boss fights etc...?

Would've been easier if they had Assassin's Creed to teach them how to do it

As for the controversy, guess what Cuba? It takes place at a time in history where they were trying to assassinate Castro, so guess what the game might include when you are controlling a Black Ops agent, during that time? Whats next, Germans complaining that games show Nazis?

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Canid117 said:
Communist governments say the darnedest things.
Let's hope the next CoD takes place in North Korea ;)
If you recall the original Mercenaries had a similar reaction from the North Korean government after that game was released.

cainx10a said:
I was disgusted by that scene though, didn't have to shoot the other person in the room.
Didn't she try and kill the player with a shotgun?