Cult Classic Games

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
You hear the phrase "Cult classic" chucked around a lot in the film industry, but I've never really heard it used when describing a game.

Do you have a game you would consider a "Cult Classic" and why? If you've played several which of them is your faviourite?

EDIT: Some people are a bit confused as to what a "Cult Classic" is. A cult classic is a film (or in this case, game) that isn't very popular but has recieved a small, cult like following that adore it.

A good example is Psyconauts, a game that has been played by few, but is held in high regard by thoughs who have.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Yeah, I know Shadow of the Colossus is a cult classic in my definition of the term.

DanDanikov

Dec 28, 2008
I'd say the term cult classic derives from something originally being cult, a relative commercial failure that attracted a small, devout group of followers, and then becoming classic, i.e. well known and recognised for its quality.

Video games I'd file under that idea would include Shadow of the Colossus but more so the game that preceded it, Ico. Rez seemed a bit of a sleeper, as did Killer7. Beyond Good and Evil, Psychonauts, The Longest Journey and Grim Fandango were all games that saw release profiles that didn't match their quality. Another World is a really old game that I'd shove in here as it definitely has a cult following, although I'm not sure if it's become appreciated enough to be considered classic.

cthulhu257

Jul 24, 2008
Biggest one I can think of would be Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. It's surprising most people don't know about it, considering it was made by Bethesda. And yes, it was the reason for my screen name.

Xojins

Jan 7, 2008
Well, Urban Dictionary defines a "cult classic" as follows:

1. Something that's really hip with a select group of people.

2.A popular piece of work, generally a movie, which has gained a large following. This following has most likely been around for at least a few years, except for cases of an 'instant cult classic,' in which a movie gains instant fame which remains for decades to come.

If we're going by this definition, I would have to say Halo.

Teachingaddict

Nov 8, 2008
+1 for the following

Psychonauts
Beyond Good and Evil
Alone in the Dark
Rez
Grim Fandango

Others that may be considered

Perimeter
Jet Force Gemini
Anachronox
Nocturne
Planescape torment

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Xojins said:

2.A popular piece of work, generally a movie, which has gained a large following. This following has most likely been around for at least a few years, except for cases of an 'instant cult classic,' in which a movie gains instant fame which remains for decades to come.

Wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_film

Never question the mighty Wiki

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
EarthBound fits the bill perfectly.
It sold rather poorly outside of Japan, but over the years has ammassed a large and dedicated following, many of whom are trying extremely hard to get Nintendo to localise Mother 3 outside of Japan.

Archindar

Jul 28, 2008
I would say that Zelda: Ocarina of time is a cult game being one of the best games ever made an many people will immediately think off that game if you mention Zelda.

Xojins

Jan 7, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
Xojins said:

Wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_film

Never question the mighty Wiki
Well, no, not wrong. I was going by the Urban Dictionary definitions. The word you're looking for is "different."

Edit: Yes, never question Wiki ;)

Ursus Astrorum

Mar 20, 2008
*opens replica Arc of the Covenant, pulls out copy of Okami, waves it in the air*

Ooh! Ooh! How about this one?

canarmane

Sep 12, 2008
I would say Disgaea for PS2. It initially didn't sell very well and IGN even gave it a "Best game no one played" award.

The Kind Cannibal

Aug 19, 2008
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay was very good in my opinion, and apparently with a lot of fellow gamers as well. Didn't sell so well initially but it slowly rose to a very respected game over the course of about a year.