Cult films that are actually good?

Jovip

Aug 12, 2010
I always find that cult movies are kinda crap once you actually watch them, like the idea of them is great. but just watching them is boring. for me it's napolean dynamite that one with invading transvestite aliens and it's a musical...don't recall it's name.

however a cult film i loved was tencious d and the pick of destiny. just a hilarious movie.
so how bout you guys?

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World. (Atleast, I think it's cult.)

It's perfect if you have read the comics. If not, it's still a perfect gamer flick.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
The Rocky Horror Picture Show is what you're thinking of.

Also, the Evil Dead movies are totally awesome.

ElectroJosh

Aug 27, 2009
A good cult classic worth a laugh is Cannibal the Musical. Its an early Matt Stone/Trey Parker film that predates South Park. It manages to be very funny on two levels: 1) Its got some genuinely good jokes
2) Its got some terrible amateur acting and film-making going on.

As an added bonust the commentary track is done about a decade later (after Stone and Parker are a big success) and involves them and a few other friends who worked on the film drinking while watching it - Parker has an excellent drunken rant during the commentary. Watch it once then watch it with the commmentary (and perhaps some alcohol of your own).

Edit: the movies recommended above and below my post are also well worth seeing (and examples of excellent film-making)

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Waking Life, a very obscure movie that's basically 90 minutes of rotoscoped people talking about philosophy inside a lucid dream. Contains anti-gravity, land-boats, and ukuleles.

All in a good way.

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
Not sure if it qualifies as a cult film but Boogie Nights is incredible. I highly recommend it.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Super Mario Bros. You can't deny it's awesomeness. Two plumbers from New York in an alternate dimension, yes.

ferd mertz

Jul 27, 2011
As a big fan of horror movies I think lots of what are considered cult movies are actually good. George Romero's classic "Dead" trilogy. As mentioned already, the Evil Dead movies. Peter Jackson's Dead Alive. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. John Carpenter's The Thing. Redneck Zombies :)

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Donnie Darko's actually pretty good. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than a lot of movies.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
Repo!-The Genetic Opera
The entire movie is sung, I can't recall any other movie that went the literal opera route.
It's a true love it or hate it movie and I personally love it for many reasons.
I love the songs.
<youtube=2wwZ814rSIA>
and the movie has a narcissistic, man-whore who wears woman's faces as masks in public and always has a harem of scantily clad women in surgical uniforms.
It's so fun to see reactions when you show it to friends.
I think it's unfairly judged when people compare it to The Rocky Horror Picture Show, the only thing it shares is that it's a weird musical.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Phlakes said:
Waking Life, a very obscure movie that's basically 90 minutes of rotoscoped people talking about philosophy inside a lucid dream. Contains anti-gravity, land-boats, and ukuleles.

All in a good way.
I was in a very swanky bar/restaurant once, and they were looping large portions of Waking Life all night. It was being projected onto an entire wall of the restaurant, though it was lacking sound. (Instead they played Beatles songs and hits of the '60s.)
That got pretty surreal further into the night, after several drinks.

Draken Steel

May 15, 2009
Umm, I suppose Serenity (the Firefly movie)

EDIT: Oh, soem1 else posted Repo: The Genetic Opera, personally I loved it though many dont.