Cultural Thievery

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
It's a hoax, I'm calling it.

The aliens in the picture more closely resembles the praetorian aliens from the Alien vs Predator games that came out later, long after both Giger's drawing and the original 2 movies.

Unless someone invented time travel I don't see how this could predate Giger's drawing.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Piorn said:
That's like saying Egyptians invented Stargate, because all the symbols and things were used in pyramids first.
No, they were used by aliens first. Weren't you paying attention?

Spygon said:
The funny thing is that you have the Norse god of thunder and lighting in the picture while trying to joke about culture stealing.
Damn Norse, stealing Thor's likeness like that....

SirDerick

Nov 9, 2009
OlasDAlmighty said:
It's a hoax, I'm calling it.

The aliens in the picture more closely resembles the praetorian aliens from the Alien vs Predator games that came out later, long after both Giger's drawing and the original 2 movies.

Unless someone invented time travel I don't see how this could predate Giger's drawing.
Not only that, but if you look at Qi Baishi's paintings, he seems to have an obsession with making things flat,

This is about as much atmospheric perspective as you'll get from his paintings. Blurring things out like the third alien in your original pic is not something you'll ever find in a Qi Baishi painting.

Not only that, but everything Qi Baishi painted was painted from observation and has a lot in common with gesture drawings. That alien painting is neither painted from observation nor a gesture painting.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
I am deeply ashamed to even have watched such RIP-OFF films! It's just the white western monopoly trying to steal more cultural treasures like SpongeBobuuuu, Non-Disneyland, and Wing Xing Tu-Beng (roughly translated: Starwars).

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
whats the difference between inspired by and stolen?

because by that logic EVERYTHING was stolen

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
2xDouble said:
To be fair... Star Wars kinda was taken from samurai stories... and mixed with Westerns.
Specifically Kirasawa films, not samurai stories. Just try to watch The Hidden Fortress without seeing a version of The Phantom Menace with all the stupid drained out. :p

92Sierra

Oct 12, 2009
The Chinese painting sure is cool. But it is not by Qi Baishi. If it was, the professional artist would have dated the painting and stated where he painted it. This artwork only bears his name.

Not to mention, as stated above, that they look exactly the xenomorphs in the second movie.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
To be fair, the east rips off just as much from us as we do from them. Nothing is truly original anyway.

The sad thing is, their hats are far shinier than ours.

Vault101 said:
whats the difference between inspired by and stolen?

because by that logic EVERYTHING was stolen
Penny Arcade answered that question a long time ago.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I'm just admiring how somebody manages to paint individual teeth in watercolor.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Well for an example of the opposite, Yoshiyuki Tomino, whom is the creator ofMobile Suit Gundam, cited Robert A. Heinlein's Mobile Infantry from Starship Troopers as a source of inspiration.

I took think it's a hoax but I have to comment that it doesn't resemble the aliens from the second film at all aside from their posture. The head's dome is completely flat and smooth unlike the warriors from Aliens who had ridges. The dome is actually closer to that of the Queen's, or Praetorians for those who read the comics.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
Farther than stars said:
And Picasso's not the only artist. Ayn Rand's Objectivism actually suggests that all art is based on natural observations.
So you mean she actually read a theory of art textbook once? Typical of Rand, after all she took sophomore-level philosophy and economic theory and claimed she'd created some amazing new philosophy.

Triality

May 9, 2011
A valiant effort at ukiyo-e Cory. Good on you. The faces could've been a little more rounded, but I got a laugh.