Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course; RIP my fingers, they are on fire again.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
When Cuphead first came out in 2017, not only was it one of my most anticipated games of all time, but I owned xbox back then which meant it was one of the few xbox exclusives. And I was completely blown away. The nail-biting gameplay, seriously impressive hand-drawn animations, and amazing sountracks all made Cuphead my GOTY of 2017.

Now here we are in 2022, with the DLC finally out. And for $8 USD, I think it offers a lot. Seriously, other publishers charge $8 for a blue skin or god forbid premium gems, but here I felt $8 was well-spent.

The story follows Cuphead and Mugman as they attempt to give Ms. Chalice her own breathing body. They travel to a new island where they meet a magical chef, who asks the duo to go collect ingredients needed for the recipe for Ms. Chalice. They are given a cookie charm, which allows Chalice to temporarily have physical body, which allows you to play as her.

Gameplay-wise, it's once again an intense 2d shooter. The main contents are six new bosses, all with quirky identity with different strategies to beat them. It took me 3-4 hours to beat all the bosses, and holy shit, my fingers need an ice bath right now. There are barely any moments you can take a break, and in those rare breaks you need to prepare yourself for the next stage i the boss fight or next onslaught of attacks. The boss designs are super creative here, and I am once again blown away by the hand-drawn animations in each frame. The devs have said there are more frames of animation with each boss compared to the base game, and I'm inclined to believe. There are so many details with each attack, transitions, and movements I sometimes prolonged the fight just to get more of the animations.

Run-and-gun mode from the base game isn't present in the dlc, but they are replaced by a series of challenges called the king's leap. Thes challenges hones your platforming and parry skills, as it's the only means of damaging each boss. Clearing each stage nets you bonus coins.

There are new weapons and charms to play with. They all feel unique. But the biggest addition here is hte ability to play as Ms. Chalice. She plays completely different from Cuphead and Mugman, and that might take a while to get used to. She can double jump and dodge roll, has her own super moves, but can't equip any charms. I am seeing a lot of complaints on how annoying it is to play as her, but i think she just takes take to get used to.

Overall,I think it's a great DLC. It seems to offer just the right amount of content for $8.

10/10

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
When Cuphead first came out in 2017, not only was it one of my most anticipated games of all time, but I owned xbox back then which meant it was one of the few xbox exclusives. And I was completely blown away. The nail-biting gameplay, seriously impressive hand-drawn animations, and amazing sountracks all made Cuphead my GOTY of 2017.

Now here we are in 2022, with the DLC finally out. And for $8 USD, I think it offers a lot. Seriously, other publishers charge $8 for a blue skin or god forbid premium gems, but here I felt $8 was well-spent.

The story follows Cuphead and Mugman as they attempt to give Ms. Chalice her own breathing body. They travel to a new island where they meet a magical chef, who asks the duo to go collect ingredients needed for the recipe for Ms. Chalice. They are given a cookie charm, which allows Chalice to temporarily have physical body, which allows you to play as her.

Gameplay-wise, it's once again an intense 2d shooter. The main contents are six new bosses, all with quirky identity with different strategies to beat them. It took me 3-4 hours to beat all the bosses, and holy shit, my fingers need an ice bath right now. There are barely any moments you can take a break, and in those rare breaks you need to prepare yourself for the next stage i the boss fight or next onslaught of attacks. The boss designs are super creative here, and I am once again blown away by the hand-drawn animations in each frame. The devs have said there are more frames of animation with each boss compared to the base game, and I'm inclined to believe. There are so many details with each attack, transitions, and movements I sometimes prolonged the fight just to get more of the animations.

Run-and-gun mode from the base game isn't present in the dlc, but they are replaced by a series of challenges called the king's leap. Thes challenges hones your platforming and parry skills, as it's the only means of damaging each boss. Clearing each stage nets you bonus coins.

There are new weapons and charms to play with. They all feel unique. But the biggest addition here is hte ability to play as Ms. Chalice. She plays completely different from Cuphead and Mugman, and that might take a while to get used to. She can double jump and dodge roll, has her own super moves, but can't equip any charms. I am seeing a lot of complaints on how annoying it is to play as her, but i think she just takes take to get used to.

Overall,I think it's a great DLC. It seems to offer just the right amount of content for $8.

10/10
What are the challenges like? Also glad to know they didn't make more stages.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
What are the challenges like? Also glad to know they didn't make more stages.
It's just as hard, if not harder than the base game bosses. I played with my controller and my fingers felt like they were on fire. Although, it depends on how good you are with this type of game. If you had put cuphead aside for a long time, then it may take longer to beat the dlc

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I beat like 3 bosses in Cuphead and put it aside for a bit. I think it's time to pick it back up and then play the DLC once i'm done.

I intially played with with my kid but she gets mad because I die too much. Loves the Art Style though.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan