Curing all diseases: an ethical problem

mageroel

Jan 25, 2010
Hey guys,
As I was just commenting, I realised something: say we could cure all diseases.
Just stop and think about this for a minute; it would mean that we'd only die of accidents or murder, and dying of old age. This would stress the problems we already have even more, namely the problems of exhausting the planet's resources, as well as the space on it. What would new ethical standards be like? One child for every couple only? Forced abortions after the birth quota has been met (ok, maybe a bit radical, but still)?
Discuss.

I'd say: anti-conception free to get for everyone, if you have health care or not, and combine this with allowing one child for every home (with the exception of twins and the like, as that would be silly to kill off one or more babies).
That, or expand to Mars and the moon.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
how many people die of disease before they reach childbearing age?

I ask this just because I don't think that it would have as big of an impact on overpopulation (at least in the younger portion of the population) as it seems you're suggesting.

It would lead to more old(er) people.

The Lesbian Flower

May 25, 2011
What's the ethical dilemma of letting someone die if you have a life-saving cure all just because you're worried about overpopulation? Could you really do that?

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
If nobody died from diseases, than living standards would be higher and higher living standards= less children being born. People wouldn't want to burst out a bunch of babies to replace all the people dying. The problem just solved itself.

Just look at Germany. They are at the top of the world in terms of living standards, and they have negative population growth. But now look at Afghanistan or Central Africa. They are war and disease ridden countries where women have 6-7 babies or more in their lifetimes.

Sure, there would be an inital surge of growth because the people of an improving country aren't used to having less kids yet, but in the end making the world better actually improves things such as over-population. Who would have thought?

Mar 9, 2010
Oh, looks like we're hitting Malthusianism again.

Guess what - this was an issue years ago and we made it through fine. The population has always been rising and people have always said we're going to overpopulate the planet, run out of space and not have enough resources to survive. We made it through all those times with scientific and technological advances and we will time after time.

We used to build on the ground. When the time comes that we can't (or shouldn't) do that anymore then we'll build into the ground and into the sky. We've already started building to the sky, we'll have plenty of space for plenty of time yet. If we have the technology to cure every disease then we'll have the technology to mass produce artificial nutritional food as well. There is no problem here.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
So you'd let people die because you're concerned about over population? Man you're a rough dude, just imagine all the people you could save. Some really remarkable people too. Stephan Hawking, Terry Pratchett are just from the top of my head.

Typically though you improve living standards for a segment of the population you decrease their birth rate.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
mageroel said:
Hey guys,
As I was just commenting, I realised something: say we could cure all diseases.
Just stop and think about this for a minute; it would mean that we'd only die of accidents or murder, and dying of old age. This would stress the problems we already have even more, namely the problems of exhausting the planet's resources, as well as the space on it. What would new ethical standards be like? One child for every couple only? Forced abortions after the birth quota has been met (ok, maybe a bit radical, but still)?
Discuss.

I'd say: anti-conception free to get for everyone, if you have health care or not, and combine this with allowing one child for every home (with the exception of twins and the like, as that would be silly to kill off one or more babies).
That, or expand to Mars and the moon.
One child in every home is a bit overboard, at least as a long-term strategy. You're talking about more than halving the human population each generation (since single people, gay couples, people choosing adoption, etc. wouldn't be having children anyway), so that's a rather drastic change. One other thing worth thinking about is that, since you'd eventually have to go back to at least two children on average per couple, it might become quite hard for people to get used to raising more than one child when the norm is one for so long.

Then, as you mention, there's the issue of how you enforce a restriction like that on people. There's no way you're going to get people to voluntarily limit themselves to children like that even with free birth control and education. You might manage it after a couple of generations allowing for some significant changes in societal attitudes, but certainly not right away. Widespread abortion is a poor method of control even if you don't object to it ethically (health problems, cost, etc.). I think the only really reasonable solution would be uniform enforced reversible sterilisation. At that point, you could effectively license couples to have children. Of course here you run into problems of who grants the licensing since all but the simplest schemes (everyone is allowed one child for instance) would allow for some truly horrendous manipulation.

But no matter what you do, people will get around it. The penalties would have to be enormous such that even the super-rich couldn't ignore them. (Though alternatively, allowing them to breed unchecked for a few generations splitting their wealth among numerous children while other couples consolidate wealth by halving the number of heirs each year is not necessarily a terrible plan.)

And then you run into a problem of motivation. If you try to continue with present beliefs about childbearing that insist that it is such a rewarding experience as to be worth the enormous social, economic, mental, and emotional cost, many people will want more than one kid. On the other hand, especially once one-child-per-couple becomes the societal norm, if you don't play up this value, having kids at all becomes a tough sell and the population never plateaus (which you want it to do once you get to a reasonably sustainable number).

The key thing to realise I think is that we're talking about drastic societal changes beyond our wildest imagining. As a relatively simplistic example, imagine how no child would ever identify with the Brady Bunch in the same way. Not only would they not be from such families, they would never have even seen such families in real life. We're talking about enormous changes to society that are very hard to predict the full consequences of. Whole swaths of what we consider essential parts of the human experience very suddenly become little more than history.

And what do you do with the people who find a way to have more kids even though they know about the consequences? You could put them up for adoption to be raised by infertile couples, gay couples, etc. But depending on the age that you find the unlicensed children at, using that as a means of punishing the parents could do a lot of unfair harm to the kids too.

Expansion would be an obvious goal and I imagine this would provide enormously more pressure (and subsequent funding) to reaching it, but reasonable expansion beyond earth is still a very long way away. Even the most reasonable plans put forward would take numerous generations before they could support even a small number of people, much less a reasonable number with a standard of living comparable to earth.

Edit: Regarding increased living standards, some very perilous comparisons are being drawn. Yes, modern countries with a high standard of living tend to have very low birth rates, but that's not universally true and, beyond that, there's an assumption here that this process is perfectly elastic. I'm extremely doubtful that increasing the standard of living substantially would provoke a massive and immediate change in birth rate. That's really discounting the force of tradition and the influence of societal norms in the cultures in question. Beyond that, elimination of disease could never immediately increase standard of living to the degree suggested. If would surely improve it, but it would take considerable time for the most depressed areas to reach anything like most major industrialised nations even without disease.

UnknownGunslinger

Jan 29, 2011
For those of you afraid of over population just bear in mind that increased living standards are the worlds best contraceptive!
Take a look at South East Asia who now for the first time (except Japan who had this for decades) are experiencing a decline in birth rates - all due to the rise in living standards just as it happened in Europe and the Western World.

Now eliminating all diseases although impossible with current technology, and probably never really viable given some of the more diversely mutated pathogens out there (the common cold is one:D), could be the type of breakthrough that will significantly increase the level of living standards for all of us across the globe, and would free the tropic regions from the deadly diseases that prevent growth and prosperity there.
And by no means I think it will it lead to rapid overpopulation.

Even today it's calculated that by 2020 - 50% of the world will be below the ?replacement level of fertility? which for the first time include nations like Brazil, Indonesia, China and even South India!
With increased standards of living and opportunities the incentives that enabled large families in the first place are being erased.
Such a leap in medicine will only increase this process and help population levels reach a sustainable level faster.
Probably there wont even be a need for totalitarian laws like the "One child only" of China.

So I don't see any Ethicals problem with such technology and on the contrary I think would lead only to prosperity.
Just imagine if every part of the globe was able to lead such breakthroughs in ingenuity and technology that the West and the South East can today. Maybe we'll finally have personal jetpacks and flying cars like the 60's predicted :p

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
Invest in planetary colonization first then develop a cure.

But seriously this was a bit of a stumper. Sounds like a scenario from Mass Effect, or something a demon would say in shin megami tensei game...

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Well, curing all diseases would open up a whole lot of money, currently used on medicine.

The planet isn't truly over-populated, there are plenty of room for building huge cities, which could house many millions.

Theres enough food, and potential for more food in the world to feed the world, the problem isn't the ammount of food, but the fact that buerucratic bullshit is letting people starve, while perfectly fine food is wasted elsewhere.
In the EU, theres a union-wide support for farming, which due to buerucratic shit actually pays farmers to grow crops of so low standart, that they're not allowewd to be sold, and then money is spend to destroy it. I shit you not.

The way the world works, with profit beeing king means, that feeding people who cannot pay, cannot be done, unless you can continually afford to end the year in a loss.
It means choosing the crops that could most effectively feed the largest amount of people, might be the wrong choice over crops feeding only a fraction of those people, but because it sells for a far higher price, pr. unit, it will create more profit.

I can see that with he curretn state of the world, where the work of the many primarily benefit the few, it might possibly cause some problems, seeing as it's the poor countries/classes that are struggling most with disease.

Eleminating all disease, would also free up a lot of hands worldwide, allowing for a bigger workforce to help produce the needed houses and food.

On the down-side, I work at a medical factory, so i would loose my job :(

mageroel

Jan 25, 2010
synobal said:
So you'd let people die because you're concerned about over population? Man you're a rough dude, just imagine all the people you could save. Some really remarkable people too. Stephan Hawking, Terry Pratchett are just from the top of my head.

Typically though you improve living standards for a segment of the population you decrease their birth rate.
Why would I kill Stephen Hawking? I'm not saying, "KILL ALL THE PEOPLE", I'm saying: put a cap on the population.

mageroel

Jan 25, 2010
The Lesbian Flower said:
What's the ethical dilemma of letting someone die if you have a life-saving cure all just because you're worried about overpopulation? Could you really do that?
I'm not saying that we shouldn't use the cure, as so many threads before have suggested. We should definitely use the cure. I'm not going to let anyone die, but the problem will be that because so many people will no longer die of diseases, there will be a massive burst in population (then again, if you read Jaime_Wolf's 'article', that pretty much clears everything up).

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
ethics and cold hard logic are 2 very different things. Logically if you wanted something someone else had and they wouldnt give it to you, you just steal it.

If i had the cure to everything, i think id have to spread it to the world and damn the consequences. I couldnt let people die in hospitals when i could stop it. It could still cause famines from overpopulation but maybe something could be worked out. At least i could sleep at night

mageroel

Jan 25, 2010
Ralen-Sharr said:
how many people die of disease before they reach childbearing age?

I ask this just because I don't think that it would have as big of an impact on overpopulation (at least in the younger portion of the population) as it seems you're suggesting.

It would lead to more old(er) people.
You have a valid point, but also consider the improved living standards the now third world countries will have: they will initially have a lot of children who would otherwise die of various diseases. Those children would grow up and have children of their own, etc. In Holland, for example, it wouldn't make much of a difference.

mageroel

Jan 25, 2010
Fieldy409 said:
ethics and cold hard logic are 2 very different things. Logically if you wanted something someone else had and they wouldnt give it to you, you just steal it.

If i had the cure to everything, i think id have to spread it to the world and damn the consequences. I couldnt let people die in hospitals when i could stop it. It could still cause famines from overpopulation but maybe something could be worked out. At least i could sleep at night
The question isn't, like so many threads before me, "if you had a cure what would you do with it". The question is: "You have a cure, it's been given to the world, doesn't this create more problems than it solves?"

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
mageroel said:
Fieldy409 said:

The question isn't, like so many threads before me, "if you had a cure what would you do with it". The question is: "You have a cure, it's been given to the world, doesn't this create more problems than it solves?"
oh sorry. im a little tired. i dont know what the ideal population control would be. Maybe you have to pay a tax to bring the child into the world? But then, what do you do if they dont pay it, forced abortions would be pretty bad. Maybe just a media campaign encouraging people to have just one child.

Wanocorc

Jul 20, 2009
wouldn't we slowly cause our own deaths by having a cure for everything at the drop of a hat? If our bodies have nothing to fight, our immunities will grow weak, and then after time, we will die from the simplest of bacteria.