Curiosity Update Lets Players Pay to Add Cubes

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Curiosity Update Lets Players Pay to Add Cubes

Peter Molyneux's Curiosity now lets you pay to keep other people from finding out what's inside the cube.

Believe it or not, Curiosity: What's Inside the Cube, the first of Peter Molyneux's 22 Cans "experiments [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117409-Molyneux-Outs-First-Post-Lionhead-Project-22-Experiments]," is still grinding away. In case you've forgotten, Curiosity is the game with the cube and the big secret inside that will be revealed only to the person who chips away the very last "cubelet," a process that will be complicated somewhat by the latest update to the game.

Players can now pay to remove cubelets in blocks of 10,000 for 99 cents, 100,000 for $6.99 or 500,000 for $10.00 - but they can also opt to pay the same price to add the same amount of cubelets to the cube. It's a strange option to add to a game that's all about discovering what's inside, but in a way it fits with the experimental nature of the thing.

"We don't know quite what will happen in this war of attrition," the studio said in the update. "Curiosity may very well rapidly degrade to reveal its innermost secret or maybe the effects of automatically removing cubelets will be neutralized by players keen to keep Curiosity going,"

Cubelets will not be added or removed immediately under the new payment scheme, but will instead be handled when the cube goes to its next layer. As of early this morning, roughly 13.7 million cubelets were set to be removed from the next layer of the cube, while 4.7 million will be added, adding up to a net reduction of (get out your calculators) 9 million cubelets.

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/news/peter-molyneuxs-curiosity-now-has-in-app-purchases-for-adding-cubelets-6407268]

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Pretty clever way of sucking even more money out of your 'game'.

It's just a shame people fucking fall for it.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
0_0 I wonder if it will ever be solved at this rate it might take until 2016
Whatever is inside it better be worth the long hard pounding from all those people that the box is receiving >_<

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
This is kinda genius, make people pay money to keep this going longer so you can make more money.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Yeah...

"Experiment."

My ass. This is money grubbing, off of stupid people. The fact that they fall for means I can't be too sorry for them, but yeah. "Experiment."

SlightlyEvil

Jan 17, 2008
This is an "Experiment" in the same sense that trolling is a "social experiment."

Molyneux has gone past talented-but-overambitious, through lunacy, into head-up-his-own-ass "true art." There is absolutely no way any of this will not be a letdown.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Interesting, they're testing to see if people will spend money JUST to be counter productive.

Lazy

Aug 12, 2012
Unless the secret is Dungeon Keeper III I kind of doubt it's going to be worth it.

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Saviordd1 said:
They still haven't gotten to the middle of that thing?

God damn.
wombat_of_war said:
my thoughts exactly. i had completely forgotten about this thing
If there is one thing history has taught me, it's that humanity will never be short of blockheads.
Oh god that was painful that. Still loved it though but I suppose thats why people must still think that my humour is a little square

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
If anyone I knew paid for this game at all, I'd probably slap em right in the face. It's from Peter Molyneux, there is no way whatever is inside is any good, probably just a self dick pic from him with a caption of "SUCK IT GAMERS!"

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
So this isn't about the Mars Rover getting a raise for his brilliant work? I'm not interested then.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Saviordd1 said:

God damn.
There's a part of me that suspects that there is no middle, and it will simply continue generating layers until some future date when the experiment is "over", at which point they'll put a couple of layers on the end to make it the exact end point seem more "fair". In fact, being dishonest about it having a finite number of layers could in fact be part of the point, like some psychology experiments in the past.

All the while they are working on Godus and what the hell to put in the "middle." Speaking of "micro"transactions and such, did anyone ever buy that one copy only $77k DLC?

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
hawkeye52 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Saviordd1 said:

God damn.
wombat_of_war said:
my thoughts exactly. i had completely forgotten about this thing
If there is one thing history has taught me, it's that humanity will never be short of blockheads.
Oh god that was painful that. Still loved it though but I suppose thats why people must still think that my humour is a little square
You just need to add some depth, otherwise your jokes will keep falling flat.
Thanks for the migraine.

OT: People don't 'fall' for this. It's not a scam. They pay to get closer to the core of the thing, and that is exactly what they get. It's no more a scam than fluffy stuffed hearts are during Valentine's.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Ukomba said:
Interesting, they're testing to see if people will spend money JUST to be counter productive.
Everybody already knows the answer. Yes they will, they always have done, and they always will do.