Curious if anyone who is a miner in Eve Online that can give me their opinion of the game currently?

backster

Jul 15, 2008
Every so often I get the desire to go back into Eve Online but I wanted to check and see if the game has improved for those folks that like to mine and do industry. The last time I was playing it was a pretty nasty place for people to try and actually mine and I got my wife's character pod killed by random gankers, does that still happen?

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
All I know is that everyone is at war right now. Everyone! If you are looking to get back into the game....I might let the dust settle first.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
backster said:
The last time I was playing it was a pretty nasty place for people to try and actually mine and I got my wife's character pod killed by random gankers, does that still happen?
That's like asking if people still raid in WoW, or if players still shoot each other in Call of Duty. That's just what Eve Online is. It's a colossal grief engine.

If you don't want to play a game where you get ganked all the time, don't play Eve. Ever. That will never change.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
backster said:
The last time I was playing it was a pretty nasty place for people to try and actually mine and I got my wife's character pod killed by random gankers, does that still happen?
AccursedTheory said:
That's like asking if people still raid in WoW, or if players still shoot each other in Call of Duty. That's just what Eve Online is. It's a colossal grief engine.

If you don't want to play a game where you get ganked all the time, don't play Eve. Ever. That will never change.
I consider it more a SciFi Sociopath Simulator. It taught me quite a bit about risk management.

Anyhoo, back to the original question, I haven't been playing in a couple years, Hulkageddon is no more, but from what I hear [https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=6264684]James315's crazyness [http://www.minerbumping.com/] is still a thing with people running amok and being a pain for miners. I wouldn't be surprised if you get the usual suicide griefers.

Don't fly what you can't afford to lose.
o7

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
backster said:
Every so often I get the desire to go back into Eve Online but I wanted to check and see if the game has improved for those folks that like to mine and do industry.
Depends. When was the last time you played? There was a "recent" overhaul of the industry menu and how blueprints and research works.
Still happens. I can actually say if you want to mine in "peace", join a nullsec anything that has a industry branch and go from there. People enjoy having dudes on hand that can manufacture the good stuff and can strengthen their logicstics arm.
The "safe" part comes in by you having a massive security blanket and intel for miles. Anyone saying nullsec space is dangerous is more or less full of it if they aren't meaning going solo.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
AccursedTheory said:
I'd rather say it's like humanity but with people having less fear of consequences. Think SAO but better and permadeath isn't a thing. You begin to discover things about yourself when you can afford to be a dick for eternity. You are what you are in the darkness of space.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Corey Schaff said:
Don't bother. From what I've heard of the game, played personally, and seen other people play, it's a waste of time if your goal is to be anything other than a major jerk.
On the bright side, I always enjoy a good story of people really screwing with others in Eve. The best are when the jerks get their righteous comeuppance of course. But even jerks trolling can be entertaining.

backster

Jul 15, 2008
Thank you all for helping me come to a sane realization that there are a ton of better games out there that deserve my money and Eve Online can eat a bag of snail snot!

backster

Jul 15, 2008
Actually I know of a game coming out sometime this year that is going to smoke Eve online and that is Star Citizen! I know what some people are going to say but if they do actually get it out the door and into peoples hands it will be awesome. I have heard earlier how it was going to be PVP and such but the developers and testers have been stating that PVP is an element but for the most part it is primarily a PVE game and that users get to set themselves to non-PVP so no crappy gank-a-thon as one is mining though mining will be an attentive activity and not a grind for ore like Eve. Mining will bring the chances of explosions due to gas pockets or the cutting into the asteroid causing a fissure to form pressure causing it to blow out possible striking the ship and their will be NPCs that will pop on by to see if tasty little miners are without defensive systems and such.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
backster said:
Actually I know of a game coming out sometime this year that is going to smoke Eve online and that is Star Citizen!
I... honestly wouldn't put money on that. People playing EVE will keep playing EVE and people interested in what SC offers, will go to SC for the cockpit dogfighting PVE environment.
I know what some people are going to say but if they do actually get it out the door and into peoples hands it will be awesome.
I thought they already released about half of the modules already?
I have heard earlier how it was going to be PVP and such but the developers and testers have been stating that PVP is an element but for the most part it is primarily a PVE game and that users get to set themselves to non-PVP
Which is where it's comparing two entirely different games. One focused on PVE and dogfighting while the other is at its core, a PVP experience from the moment you register.
so no crappy gank-a-thon as one is mining though mining will be an attentive activity and not a grind for ore like Eve.
Skiff mining in wormholes will get your blood going.
Mining will bring the chances of explosions due to gas pockets or the cutting into the asteroid causing a fissure to form pressure causing it to blow out possible striking the ship and their will be NPCs that will pop on by to see if tasty little miners are without defensive systems and such.
That sounds very alike to EVE, from the explosion chance for Mercoxit to the NPCs coming in to try and kill you.

Though, SC might really be your game if you want less PVP and more of the ability to not be on edge for someone waiting to jam the knife in with you having friends ready to jam a bigger knife into them.

Kolyarut

Nov 19, 2012
Is the ganking in EVE *that* bad for the careful solo player?

I used to float about space a bit in a solo battleship a couple years back, running missions to take out NPC pirates in high sec space, and I don't recall feeling especially threatened (except one time where I undocked and saw an entire armada sitting outside one of my regular haunts, so I swiftly redocked). It wasn't a particularly edge-of-the-seat exciting mission grind, but it was kind of fun bobbing around in space and I was starting to feel like my ship and skills were starting to get decent enough to start taking (small) risks. I keep feeling like I wouldn't mind going back from time to time, but the tone of this thread is making it sound like I was lucky beyond belief to not have been ganked during that time?

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Kolyarut said:
Is the ganking in EVE *that* bad for the careful solo player?
Not... really. For the example given in the OP of mining, if you're in Highsec then you can just sit in a tanked Procurer and the vast, vast majority of gankers won't even look at you. It's usually when you're flying something valuable with the tank of wet under-a-dollar toilet paper that you see fireworks. My personal bet is that the OP was mining in a Retriever, which is a reasonable chunk of pocket money for a miner and has almost no effective tank to speak of even if you try to fit one.
I used to float about space a bit in a solo battleship a couple years back, running missions to take out NPC pirates in high sec space, and I don't recall feeling especially threatened (except one time where I undocked and saw an entire armada sitting outside one of my regular haunts, so I swiftly redocked). It wasn't a particularly edge-of-the-seat exciting mission grind, but it was kind of fun bobbing around in space and I was starting to feel like my ship and skills were starting to get decent enough to start taking (small) risks. I keep feeling like I wouldn't mind going back from time to time, but the tone of this thread is making it sound like I was lucky beyond belief to not have been ganked during that time?
Being in highsec, as long as you didn't put anything particularly shiny on the ship, you weren't really in any danger. Unless you are wardecced, then it doesn't matter because you're a big expensive target to attack anywhere with no consequences.

Lowsec and beyond, is a totally different ballgame.

backster

Jul 15, 2008
I actually graduated from a Hulk to running mining Ops in an Orca. My wife and I never AFK mine as I am not stupid enough to ever leave my ship floating in space nor would I ever allow others in my OP to do so either. I haven't been popped ever for mining though I have been popped early on for going through a gate camp in a badger II =) what was the final straw was watch my wife get popped in a tanked Hulk, they popped her in a one second attack with three ships, cleared her wreck and theirs in three seconds and were gone, I made a complaint to the GMs as there wasn't another ship in the belt but my Orca (They didn't actually do any damage to me), four wrecks and Concord but all four wrecks were cleaned out and I saw the killmail with what was reported on her wreck which was her two stripminer IIs and six crystals. Gm said I was wrong and that there had been a ship there that had pulled the stuff off and left but I know he didn't care to actually investigate so... I got sick of fighting the GMs that didn't give a rats butt and just wanted to collect the check and Gankers using exploits to gank grab everything. I made it through four years without getting popped, ganked,or scammed. I just got rather annoyed with the fact that crud like what I experienced drives good folks away from the game. A MMO game is meant to be played with friends but if they all get driven away because a group of people decide that their idea of fun is bumping someone who is trying to mine or using the exploit of traveling with -10 rep in your pod to a high sec area and have a team mate in an orca with ships and fittings ready for you to board and gank with. No down side when you can't get any lower in your rep than -10 and all the ships you can pop and clean out.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
I played EVE on and off for years, and I've always been fascinated by the grim, do or die everything is out to get you atmosphere. It's part of why I kept coming back and it's part of why I keep moving on to other things as well. It's a great game but it's so hard to stay invested.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
backster said:
I actually graduated from a Hulk to running mining Ops in an Orca.
We share a common initial path before I turned my Orca into an RV to get my crap everywhere.
what was the final straw was watch my wife get popped in a tanked Hulk,
I mean the following in a kind way. A tanked Hulk is a bit of an oxymoron as the ship even when tanked has a terrible tank for anything other than some NPCs and in a large group.
they popped her in a one second attack with three ships, cleared her wreck and theirs in three seconds and were gone, I made a complaint to the GMs as there wasn't another ship in the belt but my Orca (They didn't actually do any damage to me), four wrecks and Concord but all four wrecks were cleaned out and I saw the killmail with what was reported on her wreck which was her two stripminer IIs and six crystals.
It's very possible that even if they didn't have a ship scoop it up(they likely had something cloaked in the belt with you), one of them looted the wreck and got popped by CONCORD and it didn't drop from their own wreck, leaving empty wrecks. THe odds are a bit low of that happening, but it is possible.
Gm said I was wrong and that there had been a ship there that had pulled the stuff off and left but I know he didn't care to actually investigate so...
I can actually guarantee that they did. They have the ability to look into server logs and can tell every single thing that happened in a medium-sized glance.
I got sick of fighting the GMs that didn't give a rats butt and just wanted to collect the check and Gankers using exploits to gank grab everything.
CCP is very, very on the ball about looking into possible exploits and any use of them is more than enough for them to have you fry.
I made it through four years without getting popped, ganked,or scammed.
Now that's some incredible luck.
I just got rather annoyed with the fact that crud like what I experienced drives good folks away from the game.
To the contrary, it looks like such an experience can lead people to stay for a while. I know I did.
A MMO game is meant to be played with friends but if they all get driven away because a group of people decide that their idea of fun is bumping someone who is trying to mine or using the exploit of traveling with -10 rep in your pod to a high sec area and have a team mate in an orca with ships and fittings ready for you to board and gank with
That's been changed I believe. Don't quote me on that though.
No down side when you can't get any lower in your rep than -10 and all the ships you can pop and clean out.
IT's in this case that people have often taken the fight to the gankers and, it's actually had some level of success.
My personal suggestion for what happened would have been to use a Procurer or Skiff and tank the living hell out of it. The Procurer can tank like a Battlecruiser and the Skiff like a Battleship. It's all about weighing the odds and what you're willing to lose.
EVE is incredibly PVP centric and that's why a lot of people don't find it right for them. If you actually want safety, you'd have been better off joining a nullsec alliance and enjoy the safety of Lightyears of dead systems with intel for miles. Null is actually safer than highsec.

undeadsuitor said:
Star citizen is vaporware, if you want to play a game today try Elite:Dangerous. Its got everything you want and need including mining and trading, and its getting even more (player avatars, station interiors) by the end of the year
This in a nutshell. Most people that don't like EVE, or even do like EVE but want a different setup, go with Elite: Dangerous. Just, get yourself a really, really good flightstick. And a VR headset if you like that kind of thing and your system can run it.