Custom Mass Effect Lego Minifigs Let You Really Put the Team Together

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Custom Mass Effect Lego Minifigs Let You Really Put the Team Together

These custom-made Mass Effect Lego minifigs are very unofficial, but very, very cool.

We've seen some some amazing fan-built Mass Effect Lego ships over the years, but actual Mass Effect characters? That's a different matter entirely. But no longer, thanks to Saber-Scorpion's Lair, a site that offers hand-made custom minifigs in a variety of familiar guises, among them more than 20 impressively detailed Mass Effect characters, including both male and female Shepards, and all packing their trademark weaponry.

Of course, since this isn't an officially licensed set, there's no actual mention of Mass Effect anywhere. Instead, it's the "Star Explorers" set, led by the Human Commander and featuring familiar faces like Alien Engineer, Alien Vigilante, Android Rebel, Psychic Prodigy and Gang Leader. (Bonus points if you can figure out who's who without looking.) And while that sounds like the sort of thing that has "cease and desist" written all over it, I have a feeling that's not going to happen: A link to a tweeted [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/03/14/assemble-your-custom-lego-mini-figure-mass-effect-squad-.aspx?utm_content=buffer56db7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer] by none other than Aaryn Flynn, the general manager of BioWare's Edmonton and Montreal studios.

[gallery=2194]

If you're sufficiently impressed, you can even buy these things for your very own, although you might want to brace yourself before you look at the price tag. Individual Mass Effect - sorry, "Star Explorers" - minifigs go from 15 to 20 bucks each, or you can snag the whole set for $134.99. If that's a little too rich for your blood, you can order just the decals instead and go DIY. Or you can do what I'm doing and simply admire them from the no-cost comfort of your chair. Whatever you choose, I think we can all agree - this is some mighty fine work.

Source: Saber-Scorpion's Lair [http://www.saber-scorpion.com/shop/decals_starexplorers.php]

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
So, I have to ask; why are they making a kids lego playset for a game that was most likely played by adults? I just don't see the market for it.

EDIT-And I just saw that it isn't actually made by the Lego Company.

Man, my reading comprehension has sucked lately.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Wow, just wow. I doubt Lego could do a better job. Now all we need is a nice Lego model of Normandy--err, a "space cruiser", possibly named The Omaha.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Tali's hood is the same hood used for the Star Wars emperor, except hers is grey:

Just noticed that and thought you'd like to know.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Ah! Saber-Scorpion! I've known about this guy for years. He does fantastic Lego minifig work, not just Mass Effect or even game related. He's done KotOR, Elder Scrolls, Halo, Left 4 Dead, Firefly, Die Hard, Assassin's Creed, Lord of the Rings (years before the recent Lego Lord of the Rings line, this guy was progressive), and the list goes on.

I really hope he gets good recognition from this. The decals and pieces he makes are damn good quality.

Hero in a half shell said:
Tali's hood is the same hood used for the Star Wars emperor, except hers is grey:

Just noticed that and thought you'd like to know.
Not exclusively. That hood piece could have come from plenty of other sets really. They're very commonly used nowadays, even outside the Star Wars line of Lego sets.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Yeah, there's a lot of other great work on the site too. Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Fallout, Team Fortress 2, Half-Life and a pile of others are all in there. But I think Mass Effect is the most "complete" set.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Only criticism would be the Asari, they need a wig piece for the hair/fins/tentacles; otherwise I like them. :D

Moloch Sacrifice

Aug 9, 2013
I think Wrex is the weak link it the set, I think if The Lego Company were to actually do this he and Legion would get purpose built bodies (kinda like the battle droids for Star Wars). I love the attention to detail though!

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Brian Tams said:
So, I have to ask; why are they making a kids lego playset for a game that was most likely played by adults? I just don't see the market for it.
You'd actually be surprised how large the age range for Lego is. Lego sets for franchises like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, so and so forth are actually pretty popular with hardcore fans of said franchises, and generic Legos in general are also used by the hardcore Lego community to make some pretty damn awesome stuff [http://www.dailygalaxy.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/07/15/03legoart.jpg].

I mean, have you seen the article about a Doctor Who Lego set [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132963-Doctor-Who-LEGO-Play-Set-Up-For-Official-Review]? Doctor Who isn't really targeted towards kids.