Cyberpunk 2077 3 Week Delay Explained

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Look if it's over 80 on Metacritic sooner or later I will buy it, and if it's over 70 on Metacritic but lower than 80, I will buy it when it's less than 20 dollars. Who only buys games when it's 90+ on Metacritic.
I'm pretty sure I find 90+ games (especially when it gets to like 95+) to be some of the worst games honestly. Of course, the presentation and graphics are usually top-notch, but they're usually the least fun games for me and very lacking in sound (not audio obviously) game design.

I've said this many times before, I don't get why people say such and such game is only worth it at say $20 (which you may not be saying but many do). I want to know if the game is worth playing and worth my time. I don't care if it's $60 or $20 or free. I've uninstalled betas like Destiny and The Division after playing them less than an hour, they weren't worth my time even when they were "free" to play.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I honestly believe that when Star Citizen comes out, it'll be the year 2945 and our long-distant descendants will be playing it in their spaceships.
"It took 900 years but it's totally worth it! I even got to inherit the spaceships my great-great-great-great-great grandfather bought back in 2015."

But to go back to the original point, it is kinda wierd Cyberpunk is so hyped pretty much entirely because of Witcher 3(and maybe Gwent? Is Gwent really well thought of?). The first Witcher was really mediocre(and even to this day I tell people to just skip it unless they really, really, really want to play the entire series), the second was good but flawed and the third was legitimately great. But that's a track record of 1 mediocre game, 1 good game and 1 great game which doesn't seem to jive too much with the sheer hype over cyberpunk 2077.

Unless people really liked Gwent IRL.

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Considering Witcher 3 was a buggier mess than Fallout 4, taking the time to fix the bugs is a real positive for me

Still not going to buy it. The misogyny and transphobic attitudes combined with the soul crush for worker gives CD an Ubisoft rating for me.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
"It took 900 years but it's totally worth it! I even got to inherit the spaceships my great-great-great-great-great grandfather bought back in 2015."

But to go back to the original point, it is kinda wierd Cyberpunk is so hyped pretty much entirely because of Witcher 3(and maybe Gwent? Is Gwent really well thought of?). The first Witcher was really mediocre(and even to this day I tell people to just skip it unless they really, really, really want to play the entire series), the second was good but flawed and the third was legitimately great. But that's a track record of 1 mediocre game, 1 good game and 1 great game which doesn't seem to jive too much with the sheer hype over cyberpunk 2077.

Unless people really liked Gwent IRL.
For one I think Witcher 2 was much better than you are giving it credit for right here. I guess it was rough around the edges in some regards but considering when it came out, it was mostly stuff like Skyrim or Dragon Age it was being compared to, it stood out as a very good and engaging RPG. Probably the best of the generation next to New Vegas, which was fantastic but notoriously lacked polish.

You also shouldn't forget that Witcher 3 got two extremely high quality expansions, one of which was almost big enough to be a standalone game. So, I would say CD Projekt Red have proven themselves to be pretty capable developers. And, I mean, they're also the people behind GoG, which I think is doing great work when it comes to preserving classic games. As much of a trainwreck as the development of Cyberpunk 2077 seems to be: the good will people have towards them doesn't come from nowhere.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Is delaying a game because you want it to be better really that much of a crime?

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Is delaying a game because you want it to be better really that much of a crime?
It's not about the delay, and if that really is the reason, there's nothing wrong with it. But if a company delays a game, three weeks before supposed release, after having announced it had gone gold weeks earlier, after confirming on their official account that the date would be final literally a day before,after going all out on marketing, at a time that surely will cut into their Christmas sales and put their integrity into question... well, it sure has some uncomfortable implications for the actual game, doesn't it? Again, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it really is just about minor performance issues on last gen consoles and additional Q&A. Maybe the game is gonna come out in time and in a perfectly polished state. I just doubt it at this point.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I think they kinda bit off more than they could chew. Cyberpunk: 2077 is an exceptionally ambitious game for a non-Ubisoft or Rockstar level funded developer, and following everything they did with The Witcher 3 they must’ve wanted to basically outdo it. Now it’s probably a cross between damage control on bugs/last gen console stability, and being their own worst enemy in terms of “good enough to send out in the wild”.

Reactions: deleted20220709