D&D Classes.

Ryenji

Apr 24, 2011
Like to play: In 3.5 wizard because of how hilariously overpowered they are. In 4e probably paladin, although my monk (assassin multiclass) and warlord/psion archer hybrid are awesome.

Hate to DM: Runepriest. So many bonuses, penalties, and triggers to remember; especially if the runepriest likes to switch rune stance a lot.

Princess Rose

Jul 10, 2011
Amondren said:
Hey all recently I've been flipping through the Player's Handbook's of 4th Edition D&D and I've been wondering two things. For one what is the general escapists favorite class to play. Secondly what is the Escapists least favorite class to DM (If you DM).Doesnt matter what edition just matter's why. So whats your favored class.

I like playing as a Wizard because I like the idea of controlling the battle field from behind the scenes in the middle of the group being protected. I dislike DMing Battleminds (4E) just cause I feel that they can be too powerful as strikers.
4E eh? Um... Swordmage, I guess, would be my favorite in that system.

In Pathfinder, gotta go with Oracle.

Least favorite to DM? Anything from the Book of 9 Swords.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Versuvius said:
The amount of 3.5ed makes me sad, especially since said people haven't played b/x to compare its bloated, souless, corporate cashin shittiness to.
This is why I always say you should play the game that suits you and your group best. I don't have any particular love for 4th, but nor do I understand everyone trumpeting 3.5 as the gold standard. What's a bloated mess to me in another's character building freedom.

OT:

I don't have a favorite class per say, but in generally I prefer high initiative, high damage but with high risk classes. This could be a magic-user in early D&D ed, kensai from Oriental Adventure settings or nearly every iteration of rogue/assassin.

As for worst class to DM, 3.5ed Druid. I haven't had the "pleasure" of experience one personally, but by proxy I hear about someone's game in the office and it sounds just plain stupid the amount of buffs and immunity that class can put out. Practically nothing short of DM fiat is able to put the party in any risk, and I personally don't see the fun in that.

simmeh

Jan 25, 2009
My favourite was a min/maxed Elf Barbarian/Sorcerer/Fighter/Arcane Archer (or whatever it was called). I had it set up so that when I used the Barbarian's enrage, I had just enough strength to use a completely tricked out great bow with no penalty.

Also in that campaign, I played min/maxed Barbarian. He would have been awesome, but my DM hated him so much that I never really got a chance to do anything with him. My DM eventually killed him by having me grapple a Kraken (my Strength was so high that he needed a Kraken or I would just break out) underwater until I drowned.

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
Princess Rose said:
Might I ask why? (Just curious since I find ToB to be one of the best balanced book in 3.5 and it gives melee something other to do then full attack or being a one trick pony of grapple,trip,bullrush or übercharging).

Princess Rose

Jul 10, 2011
pffh said:
Princess Rose said:
Might I ask why? (Just curious since I find ToB to be one of the best balanced book in 3.5 and it gives melee something other to do then full attack or being a one trick pony of grapple,trip,bullrush or übercharging).
A) Because it didn't balance well with anything else, and was badly error checked. It was worse as a Dip book, because people could pull in a single ability and totally change the game balance.

B) I have never had the experience of a melee character with nothing else to do. I think that is mostly a build issue.
Granted, it was worse in 3.5 than it is now in Pathfinder (and since I've been playing Pathfinder since the Alpha playtest, I've been playing Pathfinder for years now). But even in 3.5, my Ranger or Paladin never had trouble finding interesting stuff to do.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
zHellas said:
While I haven't yet played D&D, the 2 classes I'm interested in playing (One I have backstory for, the other is just there to be awesome):

One with backstory - Barbarian

One to be awesome - Ranger (Original thought was Beastmaster with Bear ally, riding said ally while holding a spear & a warhammer to pick up enemies and hit them with the hammer. Then I found out that you couldn't ride a medium sized Bear, so I'm going to see if the DM I have in mind for the group will allow me a large sized bear in exchange for flaws in my character. Like blind in one eye, or something).
Play a small phenotype race, Halfling or Gnome, and you can ride a medium size bear.

simmeh said:
My favourite was a min/maxed Elf Barbarian/Sorcerer/Fighter/Arcane Archer (or whatever it was called). I had it set up so that when I used the Barbarian's enrage, I had just enough strength to use a completely tricked out great bow with no penalty.

Also in that campaign, I played min/maxed Barbarian. He would have been awesome, but my DM hated him so much that I never really got a chance to do anything with him. My DM eventually killed him by having me grapple a Kraken (my Strength was so high that he needed a Kraken or I would just break out) underwater until I drowned.
For reference, i've highlighted the reasons your DM secretly dislikes you and wishes your death.

The hardest class to DM for, and the hardest class to play, is without a doubt the Paladin. Real paladins, not this 4.0 I can be any alignment bullshit. once upon a time Paladins were allowed THREE magic items. THREE. IN THEIR ENTIRE INVENTORY. Suck on that egg script kiddies.

Poor BAB, no way to improve it
Poor AC, even Wizards can get more protection than Monks for less investment
Poor HD, between this, the BAB, and the AC they can't effectively be on the front lines
MAD, they need Str, Wis, Con, Dex(Clerics can use 4 attributes but can get by as SAD as a Wiz)
Poor skill points(only 2 more than the Cleric) meaning they can't skillmonkey
Lots of abilities focused on movement(speed boosts, tumble, dim door) and a primary attack focused on standing still
No worthwhile weapon proficiencies(at low levels their base weapon damage is nil and at high levels it doesn't matter
A lot of abilities that duplicate low-level spells that they get at very high levels
Abilities focused on surviving alone, which is useless in a party
BAB can be buffed by any number of stat boosters or special magical gloves, and as a trade off monks get an extra atk per round via flurry of blows

AC can be buffed by any number of magical spells/stat modifieers
Poor HD: Yes, 1d8 is kind of low, necessitating a good con score
They need highs in all stats but int and cha, yes.
Low skills, yes

but all this pays off for BATSHIT INSANE CLASS ABILITIES.

Unless 4.0 nuked the shit out of them. I'm not sure where you can possibly get the idea that monks are UP, once they hit a certain level they're basically god machines especially with good support.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
TsunamiWombat said:
zHellas said:
While I haven't yet played D&D, the 2 classes I'm interested in playing (One I have backstory for, the other is just there to be awesome):

One with backstory - Barbarian

One to be awesome - Ranger (Original thought was Beastmaster with Bear ally, riding said ally while holding a spear & a warhammer to pick up enemies and hit them with the hammer. Then I found out that you couldn't ride a medium sized Bear, so I'm going to see if the DM I have in mind for the group will allow me a large sized bear in exchange for flaws in my character. Like blind in one eye, or something).
Play a small phenotype race, Halfling or Gnome, and you can ride a medium size bear.
Yeah, but I like the Human for a Ranger because of the 2nd feat at level 1, and I'm gonna use a Gnome for a Sorcerer.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Aircross said:
My favorite way to play, however, is as a lawful stupid paladin.

Detect Evil
Smite
Ask questions later.
You have no idea how awful they are to play with though, especially when he also puts points in diplomacy-related skills and thinks he should lead the group. And he's a gnome. A lawful stupid gnome paladin who's way of doing 'diplomacy' is threatening NPC's with his mace.

To boot, I'm a Chaotic Neutral rogue. And we both try to roleplay. Sometimes, the line between ingame anger and real anger blurs a little.

Spadge

Nov 3, 2009
Balmong7 said:
Spadge said:
Balmong7 said:
I dislike DM-ing for anyone with stealth abilities. They breeze by all my fights. Someone please tell me what to do!

The guy who is a rogue in my group gets to re roll anytime someone sees him. oh and his modifier for rolls is 18
Edition? Level? Other characters?
Almost all problems like this are either a mis-interpretation of a rule, or a character getting access to equipment far above their level. More info, and I'll see if I can help.

OT: Rogue or Cleric (3.5e). Access to lots of skills as rogue, or a huge variety of spells as cleric (once you hit mid levels). I find it far more fun than a straight tank or damage dealing mage.

As for DMing, I've been running games for a long time now, few classes bother me. I tend to just change encounters around to suit the party; I probably find it more frustrating when I overestimate the party strength and TPK them.
I am using 4e, and the rogue is at level 11. I almost think it must be a misinterpretation of a rule because the kid who is playing an assassin in the same campaign is doing the same thing now.
Rightio, haven't played much 4e, but I do happen to have the book on hand, so here we go:

If he gets a re-roll if someone sees him, is he using the level 6 at-will Chameleon? If so, have a good read of the ability. They have one full round from when they are spotted (that is, until the start of the creature who spotted them has its next turn) to get cover or concealment. If they don't, they are automatically spotted as per the stealth skill.

Relevant sections from the CRB on stealth:
Cover or Concealment: Unless a creature is distracted, you must have cover against or concealment from the creature to make a Stealth check. You have to maintain cover or concealment to remainunnoticed. If a creature has unblocked line of sight to you (that is, you lack any cover or concealment), the creature automatically sees you (no Perception check required).
Distracted Creature: If a creature is distracted, you can attempt to hide from that creature even when you don?t have cover or concealment. In combat, creatures are assumed to be paying attention in all directions. Outside combat, a creature might be paying attention to something in a certain direction, allowing you to hide behind the creature?s back. You make a Stealth check as normal to avoid the creature?s notice, since it might hear you.
Success: You avoid notice, unheard and hidden from view. If you later attack or shout, you?re no longer hidden.
Failure: You can?t try again unless observers become distracted or you manage to obtain cover or concealment.
Combat Advantage: You have combat advantage against a target that isn?t aware of you.