D&D Holding Dungeon Master's Guide Previews Hostage for Charity

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
D&D Holding Dungeon Master's Guide Previews Hostage for Charity

That said, the Deck of Many Things, Figurines of Wondrous Power, and Magic Rings are things you can see right now.

Wizards of the Coast has been honest with recently delayed game book. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/tabletop/11554-Inside-the-Launch-of-the-New-Dungeons-Dragons-With-Designer-Mike] Previews so far include magic items and the notorious Deck of Many Things, but, let's be honest, we all just want to see those rules for firearms.

[gallery=3400]

You can see D&D team's Extra Life progress here. [http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/extra-life]

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Well at least it's a noble form of content hostage, as opposed to the "I won't release the next part of my video until I hit 10,000 likes" model I've been seeing on YouTube these days.

The Deck of Many Things alone has me intrigued.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
It might be for a good cause but it still feels scummy to me. Have they announced if there is going to be a preview released at a later date that doesn't involve extortion?

Jakabok

Oct 23, 2014
Sarge034 said:
It might be for a good cause but it still feels scummy to me. Have they announced if there is going to be a preview released at a later date that doesn't involve extortion?
Ahh yes, that old extortion trick of letting you donate to charity under threat of not receiving content for free a little early. Those Wizards of the Coast chaps are running quite the clever ruse indeed.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Jakabok said:
Sarge034 said:
Ahh yes, that old extortion trick of letting you donate to charity under threat of not receiving content for free a little early. Those Wizards of the Coast chaps are running quite the clever ruse indeed.
This isn't getting content for free. This is forcing people to buy a preview. A preview is supposed to let people see a product before they buy it so they can make an informed decision. So yes, I believe I used the correct terminology.

ex·tor·tion
noun
the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats.
synonyms: blackmail, shakedown;

Care to make any kind of rebuttal that isn't just, "NUHUUUUUUUUUUUUU!"?

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Sarge034 said:
Jakabok said:
Sarge034 said:
This isn't getting content for free. This is forcing people to buy a preview. A preview is supposed to let people see a product before they buy it so they can make an informed decision. So yes, I believe I used the correct terminology.

ex·tor·tion
noun
the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats.

Yeah.

Who gives a fuck about the preview? Walk into a damn store, pick up the book and flip through it, or go on amazon and look at the bloody online version of flipping through it. No-one owes you the preview, so if they choose to release it under a charity fund then it's just an extra bonus.

Fucking hell, if you are actually donating just to get the preview I think the problems on your end, no theirs. It's a bonus for being an awesome person and giving money to extra life, not a bloody magazine cut-up ransom letter.

Care to make any kind of argument that shits on charity slightly less?

Anon Adderlan

Oct 22, 2014
Sarge034 said:
Yes. It's called The Dungeon Master's Guide. Bastards want money for that too, but you can show them by just thumbing through your friend's copy.

Jakabok

Oct 23, 2014
Sarge034 said:
Jakabok said:
Sarge034 said:

ex·tor·tion
noun

Explain to me the part exactly where you are being forced and/or threatened by WotC. Also I do believe my reply was a little more delicately worded and contained far less capitalized letters and decidedly better grammar than you have implied. If you would care to submit a written apology of your belligerent response, I am more than happy to allow you the privilege of doing so.

ConanThe3rd

Jul 3, 2012
Here's a better idea.

I keep my Pathfinder Books, I pay extra life double what I would have done under this incredibly dumb venture (because hey, you haven't been screwing around with this book and the rest of the somewhat tepid 5th ed line now have you?) and we all become happier for it.

subskipper

Sep 5, 2014
I keep buying the D&D books, but I've only played like half a campaign online over the last 5 years or so. I just love having the books, flipping through them and learn the rules. Also I quite often use them to code up character generators. I usually never finish them, but great fun anyways. I should probably try and play more though... :)

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Lil_Rimmy said:
Yeah.

Who gives a fuck about the preview?
I do. It's the principle of the matter. You do not pay for a preview.

Jakabok said:
Explain to me the part exactly where you are being forced and/or threatened by WotC.
Ok. They are forcing people to pay money for a preview. If you want to see what you would be buying you gotta pay them money to do so. If this practice takes hold how far would be ok for it to go for you? Only if the money went to charity? Only if 100% went to the creators? If the profits were divvied up like any other sale? I take issue with this on principle.

Also I do believe my reply was a little more delicately worded and contained far less capitalized letters and decidedly better grammar than you have implied. If you would care to submit a written apology of your belligerent response, I am more than happy to allow you the privilege of doing so.
Your reply had no substance other than "If you don't like it don't buy it. At least the money's going to charity." And my reply was basically, "Bullshit, I can point out things I think are shit even if I don't buy them." So the moment I apologize for that is the day I stop being a gamer and watch as the industry turns into even more of a cesspool of complicitness. I'm still having fun with games, so I think I'll stay a bit longer. See ya around.

Jakabok

Oct 23, 2014
Sarge034 said:
Ok. They are forcing people to pay money for a preview. If you want to see what you would be buying you gotta pay them money to do so. If this practice takes hold how far would be ok for it to go for you? Only if the money went to charity? Only if 100% went to the creators? If the profits were divvied up like any other sale? I take issue with this on principle.
You aren't being forced to pay money for this anymore than you are being forced to buy a gallon of milk. They aren't extorting you, they are allowing you the option to purchase a first look at a product that is coming out soon. I don't care if you think it's worth the money or not, I just think you need to learn to use your vocabulary properly. You have not been threatened with any sort of consequences for not purchasing the preview any more than you are punished for not buying anything else. You just don't have whatever they are selling.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Jakabok said:
You aren't being forced to pay money for this anymore than you are being forced to buy a gallon of milk. They aren't extorting you, they are allowing you the option to purchase a first look at a product that is coming out soon. I don't care if you think it's worth the money or not, I just think you need to learn to use your vocabulary properly. You have not been threatened with any sort of consequences for not purchasing the preview any more than you are punished for not buying anything else. You just don't have whatever they are selling.
So if all previews became paid purchases you'd be ok with it? They are threatening consequences though. To gate preview content, and perhaps even bar reviews to protect their sales, is to force the consumers to be ignorant or pay to become educated. Like in your example, you're right. No one is forcing me to buy the gallon of milk, the finished product. But the FDA (in the US) requires the ingredients list be clear and visible and I don't have to buy the right to see it. Like it or not they are extorting money from people for content which by all rights should be free with the threat of ignorance. So yes, don't like it don't buy it applies but I can still call bullshit on bullshit.