D&D i want to play.

iwishiwased

Feb 8, 2010
HI. I've wanted to play d&d for years now and since the red box has come out i think nows the best time to get in on it. Can anyone help me sort out what i need. Do i just buy the red box and thats it or do i need anything else. Like the other books etc
Thanks for your help in advance.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Well, on top of that you need a group of people to play with. As a starting player you just need the players hand book (for 4th edition...i guess), dice, a character sheet, and a character concept. Although, the red box does seem to come with a lot of superfluous things for a starting player.

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
Short answer: the new D&D 4th edition Red Box has everything you need to start playing the game. Well, you still people to play with. Once you have gone through the material in the Red Box you'll probably want more books.

Long answer: read The Escapist's article [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103321-Unboxing-the-New-D-D-Red-Box] on the new Red Box.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
from what I understand from D&D you need imagination , some mathematical skills and a starter kid

Nejira

Oct 16, 2009
Do you have a group of people to play with? If not, I suggest finding a group first and then pick up whatever version of d&d they´re playing.

iwishiwased

Feb 8, 2010
I probably should of mentioned that yes i do have a group of friends to play it with but they know nothing about D and D as well and want to get into it. so its for a bunch of newbs really

Shadowfaze

Jul 15, 2009
You need the red box- it has everything for beginner player. After that though, you'll need The players handbook, Monster Manual, and the DM Guide. Oh, and more dice is nice.

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
my biggest problem is finding a DM. Or the greater challenge, finding a DM who's not a dick

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
Dorian6 said:
my biggest problem is finding a DM. Or the greater challenge, finding a DM who's not a dick
Haha, too true.

Dice, the more the better. While at your local hobby store just pick up two or three sets (includes a d20, 12, 10, percentile, 8, 6, and 4). You will need all of them (more 6s and 10s than the others)

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
henritje said:
from what I understand from D&D you need imagination , some mathematical skills and a starter kid
Choosing a good starter Kid is important. If your starter Kid lacks drive, or has low intelligence, he may not survive into being a full Teenage Nerd. Start Kids should be used to capture other young children class dndemon to round out your arsenal. I would suggest a Cheeto based Starter Kid over the Mountain Dew one, since they are slightly less likely to starve to death.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Find a good group of people to play with have a very good and vivid imagination. I also recommend getting a good heap of dice.

imperialus

Apr 20, 2009
The redbox would be a great jumping off point. Has everything you need to take your characters up to 4th (I think) level. After that you can start looking at the other products in the essentials line to start moving the characters up through the higher experience levels but the Redbox should keep you going for at a dozen or so sessions at least. I must admit though I'm not overly familiar with the expanded essentials line since about a year ago I "downgraded" to the old 1981 edition Basic/Expert edition of D&D which co-incidentally is where the "Redbox" idea (and artwork) came from.

I might suggest taking a jaunt over to www.enworld.org to talk with some of the community members there. 99% of them are really helpful and know their stuff inside out and backwards.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Keep in mind that Red Box is D&D Essentials and to really build a character using it (like, actual customization, it does come with pre-generated characters), you would need the Essentials handbook.

I just started playing six months ago and this is what I find useful:
1. Dice, I would recommend a set for each player but you technically just need one set
2. A DM and an adventure to play. You can either create your own (not recommended if you've never played). I would recommend picking up an adventure book since it comes with most of what you need and does most of the work for you.
3. A map/hex grid. Again, if you buy a pre-made adventure, this is taken care of.
4. Minis/Tokens. Some kind of "this is you, this is them". I personally bought some cheap minis online and use monster tokens for monsters (either buy them or have a little circle that says MONSTER on it)

Recommended:
Players Handbook 1, 2, and the DM Guide. I would especially recommend this if you don't plan on subscribing to D&D Insider on Wizards website. The DM screen is something that I also highly recommend, to cover up what you roll, the stats on the monsters, and because it has a lot of useful info on it. I already own most of these things, but the DM kit seems like it would be a great buy for a new DM.