Dad Switches Mario For Pauline To Please Daughter

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
I opened the comments just to see if it would devolve into anti-feminist bullshit. Thanks for not disappointing, Escapist readers.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Nice, makes me think of Ms Pacman for some reason. He should have speed everything up when he did the mod :). (Ms Pacman > Pacman)

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Froggy Slayer said:
Nice guy, obviously a caring father. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off before this thread turns into an inevitable sex war.
Yea, I'm not entirely sure how or why exactly that is the inevitable reaction to a news piece about a dad modding a NES game for his daughter.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
So, wait, what's this about a 2010 NES version of Donkey Kong? Was that some sort of mistake by the author? I know the copyright infomation says 2010 on the video, but was there really a 2010 release of the NES Donkey Kong, or did the dad just change the number when he made the other changes? Because I definitely haven't heard about a 2010 NES Donkey Kong. I know there was a new NES game a couple years back that was inspired by I Wanna Be the Guy, but that's the most recent release I've heard of, and it was far from official.

Cool story either way, that's one dedicated dad.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
So, wait, what's this about a 2010 NES version of Donkey Kong? Was that some sort of mistake by the author? I know the copyright infomation says 2010 on the video, but was there really a 2010 release of the NES Donkey Kong, or did the dad just change the number when he made the other changes? Because I definitely haven't heard about a 2010 NES Donkey Kong. I know there was a new NES game a couple years back that was inspired by I Wanna Be the Guy, but that's the most recent release I've heard of, and it was far from official.

The closest thing I could think of is that "Donkey Kong Special Edition" (including the oft-forgotten "pie factory" level) that they were giving away a while back.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
McMarbles said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:

The closest thing I could think of is that "Donkey Kong Special Edition" (including the oft-forgotten "pie factory" level) that they were giving away a while back.
I checked Wikipedia, and I think someone ripped a rom out of the Donkey Kong: Original Edition game that came with the limited edition red Wiis. It was apparently based on the NES version, but had an arcade level cut from the original port, plus a couple of cutscenes, reinstated. Wiki doesn't say, but I'm guessing it's pretty much an official rom hack that the Wii runs with its virtual console emulator. Wouldn't surprise me if there's ways to get at those roms with a hombrew enabled Wii and the right apps.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Heh, since I had watched Wreck-it Ralph last week, now I thinking Pauline had gotten tried of being the damsel in distress and Mario agreed to switched places.

Anyway he's a cool dad for doing that for his daughter.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
Mad props to this father going out of his way for his daughter.

It is not that Mario is in-it-self sexist, it is that here is a person who took the time to open erase life long barriers and misunderstandings for his daughter. How many girls plays with dolls, and likes the color pink and play with ponies? It not because females are born this way we taught them to like those things at a young age.

In the long run forcing gender roles only harm children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CU040Hqbas
Here is one wise little girls rant on gender roles.
A Child realizes the harm of forced gender roles better than most politicians.

Kahohess

Sep 12, 2011
That's really cool, but now that the "magic" of the trope is gone i'm asking myself, over and over: "why is this big hairy monkey kidnaping that fat little guy again....?"

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
[bold]Number of times I have refused to play a game simply because the main character was/had a different gender/ethnicity/religion/sexual orientation than me:[/bold]

Zero

[bold]Number of times a three year old girl has refused to play a game simply because the main character was/had a different gender/ethnicity/religion/sexual orientation than her:[/bold]

Once

Which one of us is sexist bigot again?

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Why do people forget the time Peach saved Mario by being girly? And with a carnivorous umbrella?
<youtube=HkVkz4iL4SE>

jaymiechan

Jun 27, 2012
saintdane05 said:
Why do people forget the time Peach saved Mario by being girly? And with a carnivorous umbrella?
<youtube=HkVkz4iL4SE>
See, that doesn't really count, because A) She had to be empowered by an outside source (the Vibe Scepter), B) Which was powered by emotions, see all the jokes about PMS Peach and Whiny Peach. Mario, at his most base self, still has his jumping and agility. And C) The Vibe Scepter only works in one place in the entire world.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Heh, since I had watched Wreck-it Ralph last week, now I thinking Pauline had gotten tried of being the damsel in distress and Mario agreed to switched places.

Anyway he's a cool dad for doing that for his daughter.
Heh I could also see Mario saying "Sweet, a day off."

OT: Awww isn't that nice, cool dad there.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
T_ConX said:
[bold]Number of times I have refused to play a game simply because the main character was/had a different gender/ethnicity/religion/sexual orientation than me:[/bold]

Zero

[bold]Number of times a three year old girl has refused to play a game simply because the main character was/had a different gender/ethnicity/religion/sexual orientation than her:[/bold]

Once

Which one of us is sexist bigot again?
You have a point but I don't think the daughter is old enough to understand sexism at 3 years old, it's more a case of the daughter saying I wanna play a girl and a father wanting to make his daughter happy. It's us outside observers who are potentially bringing sexism up by reading far too much into the motivations of this.