Daily Drop: Compact Fluorescents

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
tustin2121 said:
Why are we banning Edison's invention for these ineffective piece of crap light bulbs anyway? Because we save a tiny bit of energy, but only if the light stays on for longer than 15 minutes at a time? Sigh...
I don't know about saving energy, but they beat the hell out of filament bulbs when it comes to longevity. I live in Pennsylvania, and the winters can get pretty cold around here. Turning on outdoor lights when it's that cold can really wear down a filament. We were going through on average, one bulb a month. Sometimes a bulb would only last about 2 weeks. Since we replaced our outdoor lights with CFB's, we've never had to replace them, to my knowledge.

ajemas

Nov 19, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
I thought ths was bad for the environemnt because you let out a small amount of some kinda toxic substance that was let out in filament bulbs so you werent supposed to break these.

I wanna say its mercury, but I'm pretty sure I'm worng if i do
Yes, it is Mercury that is let out. It is a fairly small amount, but it is still dangerous if broken. This is probably one of the most dangerous drops that they've done, as this stuff is very poisonous. I just hope that they wore gloves when they cleaned it up.
The bulbs themselves, however, aren't dangerous for the environment as long as they're disposed of properly. If they aren't thrown away with the regular trash, they provide enormous energy consumption benefits. Just make sure to hold your breath when you drop them on the floor.

tustin2121

Dec 24, 2008
SilentHunter7 said:
tustin2121 said:
Why are we banning Edison's invention for these ineffective piece of crap light bulbs anyway? Because we save a tiny bit of energy, but only if the light stays on for longer than 15 minutes at a time? Sigh...
I don't know about saving energy, but they beat the hell out of filament bulbs when it comes to longevity. I live in Pennsylvania, and the winters can get pretty cold around here. Turning on outdoor lights when it's that cold can really wear down a filament. We were going through on average, one bulb a month. Sometimes a bulb would only last about 2 weeks. Since we replaced our outdoor lights with CFB's, we've never had to replace them, to my knowledge.
Heh. I live in PA as well. :) And yes, it's VERY cold outside right now. In the teens yesterday...

Anyhow, my experience with CF's is how they *lack* in the stated longevity. They say on the box they're supposed to last seven years! My Butt! I put CF's in the ceiling lights of my apartment (because that's all I had at the time). I've now had to replace those lights. Twice. In one year! I have a floor lamp with a CF that lasted a little longer: 3.5 years. Still not 7 like they're supposed to... Of course, both of those examples are inside lights, so maybe you're right about the outside light stuff.

tustin2121

Dec 24, 2008
ajemas said:
Yes, it is Mercury that is let out. It is a fairly small amount, but it is still dangerous if broken. This is probably one of the most dangerous drops that they've done, as this stuff is very poisonous. I just hope that they wore gloves when they cleaned it up.
The bulbs themselves, however, aren't dangerous for the environment as long as they're disposed of properly. If they aren't thrown away with the regular trash, they provide enormous energy consumption benefits. Just make sure to hold your breath when you drop them on the floor.
I assure you its not as dangerous as you seem to think. Did you know that back when our parents were in grade school, the science teacher would allow them to play with globs of mercury? It didn't kill them, did it? Sure, long term exposure will kill brain cells, but the little bit of exposure hurt nothing. The trace amounts in a light bulb will do absolutely nothing. (Quicksilver, as it was colloquially known, is actually quite neat to watch move around. See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31CE2BYicyU)

Just don't let a baby eat it, is all. Babies are more susceptible to anything because they are so small (body-mass wise) and their immune systems are still weak. But two fully grown adults will have no side-effects.

pigsnoutman

Jun 11, 2009
There is suprising backlash to energy saving light bulbs. True, the manufactuers do seem to over state the life span, by using ideal conditions.
Our wirings a bit dodgy in some rooms, and energy saving bulbs can't stand it light incandencent.
I'm sure the health risk was lower than the risk paul took climbing that ladder.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
I hope you guys wore a face mask, as FLs have mercury in them, and the powder that lines the glass, and actually makes the light is toxic.

pigsnoutman said:
There is suprising backlash to energy saving light bulbs. True, the manufactuers do seem to over state the life span, by using ideal conditions.
Our wirings a bit dodgy in some rooms, and energy saving bulbs can't stand it light incandencent.
I'm sure the health risk was lower than the risk paul took climbing that ladder.
LED Lightbulbs FTW! sure you pay about fifty bucks a bulb, but they use 1/10 the power at the most and can last 3-5 years of Continuous use.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
emeraldrafael said:
I thought ths was bad for the environemnt because you let out a small amount of some kinda toxic substance that was let out in filament bulbs so you werent supposed to break these.

yup, its mercury vapor

Nov 30, 2009
tustin2121 said:
ajemas said:
I assure you its not as dangerous as you seem to think. Did you know that back when our parents were in grade school, the science teacher would allow them to play with globs of mercury? It didn't kill them, did it? Sure, long term exposure will kill brain cells, but the little bit of exposure hurt nothing. The trace amounts in a light bulb will do absolutely nothing. (Quicksilver, as it was colloquially known, is actually quite neat to watch move around. See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31CE2BYicyU)

Just don't let a baby eat it, is all. Babies are more susceptible to anything because they are so small (body-mass wise) and their immune systems are still weak. But two fully grown adults will have no side-effects.
Yeah, my mother talks about how they used to let them play with pools of mercury with their bare hands, even watching it go through their skin, in grade school science and I turned out finefgsfdsklsa....

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Wow all of this talk was catalysed by falling lightbulbs! People really enjoy advertising their knowledge.
Well conflict breeds creativity

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
I think some of you are grossly over-estimating the danger inherent in these bulbs.

I assure you we are all alive and well.

WittyInfidel

Aug 30, 2010
I was going to post about the harmful effects of breaking the eco-friendly bulbs, but seems that it's already been done. Excellent break, but i hope everybody will be okay afterward.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

See health issue under DISADVANTAGES

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
emeraldrafael said:

Naahhh.
For the record, neon or argon, most likely. Any of the noble gases, basically.
[sub]Aaah, half an AS in chemistry and I already feel smart.[/sub]

OT: that was pretty satisfying to watch, not sure why.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Anchupom said:
emeraldrafael said:

Naahhh.
For the record, neon or argon, most likely. Any of the noble gases, basically.
[sub]Aaah, half an AS in chemistry and I already feel smart.[/sub]

OT: that was pretty satisfying to watch, not sure why.
ell, I've been told its mercury.

Palwador

Oct 1, 2010
your intro is too long. it needs to be 15 seconds shorter. I'm thinking the dude holding the thing to drop, and the text "the daily drop" slapped on some where there. thats it. other than that, it was cool.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Amarsir said:
EPA steps for a broken light bulb [http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html]
Ouch. Scary.

Seriously, I hope you guys were careful with this. XD

Meanwhile, it makes me sad they weren't plugged in and switched on when dropped.