Daily Drop: Foot Lamp

Roamin11

Jan 23, 2009
Wow dropping it plugged in was a good idea cuz that was more cool than the koosh

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
summerof2010 said:
Why did it flash like that? I know it was on, but I mean, why did it suddenly become so bright so fast because of that? I curious.
The filament of a regular light bulb is made of tungsten. When the electricity is passed through it, it creates an enormous amount of heat, enough to melt most metals but not tungsten (the main reason it is used for filaments). However, tungsten will ignite when it is heated enough and exposed to oxygen, which is why light bulbs are filled with an inert gas (usually argon). Now when the bulb bursts, it exposes the heated tungsten to oxygen and it ignites, creating that flash of light.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Very interesting.
The flashes could not be seen at all at normal speed. You also have the bits of the tungsten coil that are still bright long after the initial crash.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
coldfrog said:
summerof2010 said:
Why did it flash like that? I know it was on, but I mean, why did it suddenly become so bright so fast because of that? I curious.
The filament of a regular light bulb is made of tungsten. When the electricity is passed through it, it creates an enormous amount of heat, but, due to the properties of tungsten, not enough to melt it. However, tungsten will ignite when it is heated enough and exposed to oxygen, which is why light bulbs are filled with an inert gas (usually argon). Now. when the bulb bursts, it exposes the heated tungsten to oxygen and it ignites, creating that flash.
Why thank you!

restoshammyman

Jan 5, 2009
Madara XIII said:
Dublin Solo said:
And it's the 42nd daily drop.

The universal answer.
Oh Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy. Is there anything you can't sove with 42?
its not the answer to everything. its just the answer to the great question.

the great question of life the universe and everything.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
That seemed to be way too quick of a drop even for you guys, what happened with this one?

OT: I liked the sparks that it gave off when you dropped it. :D
So what exactly is that thing you're dropping on Monday? >.>

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Awesome. Especially the flash of sparks.

More exciting stuff like this please!

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
Dublin Solo said:
And it's the 42nd daily drop.

The universal answer.
So this drop really should have been a bunch on petunias in a whale shaped planter....

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Man, electricity sure is dangerous...
But on the other hand, those sparks are fucking awesome!
Seriously, didn't expect that second flash, pretty cool.
But still not as cool as the Kooshes.
Now what if we could somehow put together electricity, a lamp and a koosh to make a new weird item, and then drop it?

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
How is this 42 when Koosh 2 was 39?

*Confused.*

Still! Very nice video, whole sparks and stuff was very nice to watch.

Edit:

Oooh. Koosh was labelled wrong.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
For some reason, during the preview for this one, I thought it was a lava lamp. I was a little disappointed at first, but then I watched and joy ensued. Still,

Do a LAVA LAMP!!

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
Hatchet90 said:
The next video.... a yule log?
That wont break even with a sledge hammer...and crowbar (cuz I know everyone is gonna ask)

I loved the flash and the sparks were an awesome surprise. I think the next drop is wrapped in a blanket or something.