Daily Drop: GameBoy

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
tehweave said:
How the hell is it so resistant? I had a friend with an original gameboy back when I was 7 (1995) and I got so frustrated with a game that I slammed the gameboy into my forehead (anger issues back then) and the screen was smashed to pieces. Completely unplayable. Here I am 16 years later and I've heard about the gameboy that lived through the gulf war (AND WAS STILL PLAYABLE) and the fact that LRR dropped a gameboy twice... Barely did anything, and even after hitting it with a crowbar, all it did was break the plastic...

Did my friend have a really faulty one, or what?
You broke the screen somehow. (Bad angle maybe?). That's the most fragile part.

The one that got destroyed in the gulf war had it's screen replaced, so it's only relatively true that it still worked. (the other electronics survived intact, but the screen was damaged enough to need replacing.)

They're tough, but not completely unbreakable. XD

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Saelune said:
emeraldrafael said:
I wanna see them drop a Gamecube. Morgan Von Webb would be happy to see her experiment verified.

Also, that vid made me feel old. Simply cause I knew what that was and had one at one point, and kids today have no idea what one of those are.
X-Play did a test on how well made last gen was in their construction. They dropped an Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube. The Gamecube was the only one still working in the end.
Duh? Where do you think I got the details?

fisk0

Aug 19, 2009
Saelune said:
emeraldrafael said:
I wanna see them drop a Gamecube. Morgan Von Webb would be happy to see her experiment verified.

Also, that vid made me feel old. Simply cause I knew what that was and had one at one point, and kids today have no idea what one of those are.
X-Play did a test on how well made last gen was in their construction. They dropped an Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube. The Gamecube was the only one still working in the end.
Strange, I've had my PS2 Slim drop from about a meter several times, with a spinning disc inside it and all that as people keep tripping over the controller cables, and it's still working perfectly.

fisk0

Aug 19, 2009
CrystalShadow said:
tehweave said:
How the hell is it so resistant? I had a friend with an original gameboy back when I was 7 (1995) and I got so frustrated with a game that I slammed the gameboy into my forehead (anger issues back then) and the screen was smashed to pieces. Completely unplayable. Here I am 16 years later and I've heard about the gameboy that lived through the gulf war (AND WAS STILL PLAYABLE) and the fact that LRR dropped a gameboy twice... Barely did anything, and even after hitting it with a crowbar, all it did was break the plastic...

Did my friend have a really faulty one, or what?
You broke the screen somehow. (Bad angle maybe?). That's the most fragile part.

The one that got destroyed in the gulf war had it's screen replaced, so it's only relatively true that it still worked. (the other electronics survived intact, but the screen was damaged enough to need replacing.)

They're tough, but not completely unbreakable. XD
I doubt the Game Boy survived the crowbar hit, looked like it damaged much more than just the plastic shell. Most of the system board (CPU, RAM, LCD controller etc.) is in that part of the case, along with the cartridge slot with was clearly destroyed by the hit. The lower part of the case mainly contains the speaker, the batteries and the connectors for the buttons.

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011
But, but why?! Why would you do such a thing?! I realize it's all in the name of science, and I wholeheartedly agree, but the original Game Boy is too close to an antique nowadays than any of the other items. And antiques can be valuable.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
emeraldrafael said:
Saelune said:
emeraldrafael said:

Duh? Where do you think I got the details?
I was thrown off by the von and I think there is a Morgan (or similar named) person on the LRR team, so I thought you were referencing her, not the co host of X-Play.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
Only reason you hurt the thing is because you hit the weakest point and even then you just barely did, so lol.
Bet it still works.

MotenaiRonin

Aug 28, 2009
I dropped my Original Gameboy back in the day too and I also remember the screen protector being the first thing to pop off. and I remember my horrible glue job to get it to stay back on hahaha oh when you're young.

Zelda Rhapsodos

Feb 10, 2011
I'm surprised the crowbar did that much damage, there was one that survived a military air strike. It worked perfectly fine, it's in a museum now.

Irriduccibilli

Jun 15, 2010
I actually think I have 2 of that type of gameboys lying around somewhere. I just found a functional gameboy colour in one of my drawers yesterday with Pokémon blue. My my, that was my childhood toy

Smerf

May 4, 2011
ha, it dropped and the battery lid came off
do that to a ds and itll shatter

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
This is the first thing I didn't want to see break. And it's debatable whether it did or not, because I remember mine was resilient and it still works. (I play my GBC these days, though, since it only takes 2 batteries, not 4.)
Boyninja616 said:
Also, I seem to remember from the first crowbarred video that Graham was the one who smashes the things to oblivion.
Alex does the crowbar, not Graham.
Saelune said:
I was thrown off by the von and I think there is a Morgan (or similar named) person on the LRR team, so I thought you were referencing her, not the co host of X-Play.
The Morgan on the LRR team is male.

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
AdmiralMemo said:
This is the first thing I didn't want to see break. And it's debatable whether it did or not, because I remember mine was resilient and it still works. (I play my GBC these days, though, since it only takes 2 batteries, not 4.)
Boyninja616 said:
Also, I seem to remember from the first crowbarred video that Graham was the one who smashes the things to oblivion.
Alex does the crowbar, not Graham.
Saelune said:
The Morgan on the LRR team is male.
I think I could be excused for thinking that they look SOMEWHAT alike.