Daily Drop: Glass Paperweight

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
GOD I can hear that theme all day!

Why are we interested in slow-motion destruction anyway? It's like when teenagers combine random items, utterly destroying both but just for the impulsive laugh for when it IS working... for a few seconds.

Falconknight06

Three Falcons in a Trench Coat
Feb 15, 2009
Artorius said:
Time Warp meets the Escapists looking forward to the premise :)
and poor everyday objects xD.
though i wonder how Graham and the others got their hands on a High Speed camera..
far as i know those things WORTH a fortune.
On the LRR forums, they said they rented it

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
Milo Windby said:
ranger19 said:
Somewhat entertaining, but did you guys seriously put a 31 second ad in front of a 90 second video? No way that's worth my time.. and I can't see how anyone can stand for it.
What ad? Oh thats right, I have ad-block on... silly me, I don't see any ads because of it =p
Wait.. what? I have adblock on too! But mine is the one for Chrome.. maybe it's not as functional as a firefox equivalent yet?

Optimystic said:
Sure it will break, but will it blend???
I usually tab over to Cracked or Facebook or something until the ad is over.
I figured someone was going to say this, but it's the principal of the thing. I can switch tabs, but I still get the noise pollution ("unleash our spicy side!" *cringe*) and as much as I love the escapist, ads taking up 30% the time of my desired content is ridiculous.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
The point is: glass people shouldn't fall from high places. That said, this looks to be another fun diversion, kudos!

CoreKrogoth

Mar 8, 2010
Somehow it being dropped by Paul in what I have to assume is his favorite costume just makes it that much more enjoyable.

Milo Windby

Feb 12, 2010
ranger19 said:
Milo Windby said:
ranger19 said:
Somewhat entertaining, but did you guys seriously put a 31 second ad in front of a 90 second video? No way that's worth my time.. and I can't see how anyone can stand for it.
What ad? Oh thats right, I have ad-block on... silly me, I don't see any ads because of it =p
Wait.. what? I have adblock on too! But mine is the one for Chrome.. maybe it's not as functional as a firefox equivalent yet?
Perhaps, I have never really seen any ads in the videos here on the Escapist. Using "ABP" for Firefox.

I figured someone was going to say this, but it's the principal of the thing. I can switch tabs, but I still get the noise pollution ("unleash our spicy side!" *cringe*) and as much as I love the escapist, ads taking up 30% the time of my desired content is ridiculous.[/quote]

Rawker

Jun 24, 2009
who needs all the mental stimulating devil juju? I like to watch people drop stuff.

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
Everyone complaining to the point of this video: Please shut your bloody trap and let the show be. We have TimeWarp and people watch that show in droves, I don't see the harm in having an internet version for free...

Honestly, the IQ of some blokes here.

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
itaigreif said:
Honestly... guys; I know your direction is "let's just feel the site up with press released and video clips", but every day breaking something else? And THAT'S IT?
Please - give some actual CONTENT. Remember content?
You mean like the four feature-length articles we run in each weekly edition of the magazine? Or the columns from folks like Shamus Young, Ben Croshaw, Bob Chipman, Dr. Mark Kline, and JP Sherman that get published every day? Perhaps one of our original web comics? That kind of content?
Yep, thats a Susan Arendt burn. Congratulations, need a icy hot pack for that?

SensibleCrout

Feb 23, 2010
Awesome music (nicely in sync with the lamps turning on).
Checking if gravity still works can be fun.
What camera are you using? Which digital recorders offer that kind of fps? Do you interpolate frames in post production?

These paperweights are quite difficult to make and despite their ugliness used to be rather expensive. Still well worth destroying if you ask me.

You absolutely need to drop a Slinky and a well shaken bottle of beer. Too bad I just threw away 5 old hard disks. If you remove the lid before dropping them, the platters should shatter which would look interesting.

And how about a balloon with a handful of big nails in it? Or something on fire?

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
It's like stuff blowing up in the Matrix!
opportunemoment said:
Ahaha. I love this. The spiritual successor to Will It Blend. :D
Yeah! Awesome!
Syphous said:
This is really cool. I want to request a computer monitor... you know, the old gigantic type.
SensibleCrout said:
You absolutely need to drop a Slinky and a well shaken bottle of beer. Too bad I just threw away 5 old hard disks. If you remove the lid before dropping them, the platters should shatter which would look interesting.

And how about a balloon with a handful of big nails in it? Or something on fire?
The whole thing is done, so requests are pointless. They rented for a week and dropped stuff constantly. Only editing takes up the time, so they get 1 out per day.
Susan Arendt said:
itaigreif said:
Honestly... guys; I know your direction is "let's just feel the site up with press released and video clips", but every day breaking something else? And THAT'S IT?
Please - give some actual CONTENT. Remember content?
You mean like the four feature-length articles we run in each weekly edition of the magazine? Or the columns from folks like Shamus Young, Ben Croshaw, Bob Chipman, Dr. Mark Kline, and JP Sherman that get published every day? Perhaps one of our original web comics? That kind of content?
+1247! You're the best, Susan! :-D

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
It would be cooler if the total energy of the system was larger, you know what that means.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I've got to say it: This is Paul's greatest performance that I have seen on the Escapist. He should win an award for this clip!