Daily Drop: Light Bulb

SnowmanCA

Mar 30, 2010
jdiesel17 said:
Actually I think that a light bulb (brand new out of the box) will pretty much always do that. If the lightbulb is new and has no scratches or imperfections you can get it to bounce back once. If it has been dropped once though the tiny scratches that are created from the first drop make it shatter the next time it has an impact.

A neat party trick that I heard once is take a new lightbulb and bet that you could toss it against a brick wall and then catch it without breaking. When the next person tries it, it should shatter on the second throw.
If you notice the first time it hit with screw at the top so had good distribution of force. The second time it was actually spinning, with the force directed from the side. I dont know how to calculate the exact force of its motion it ended up in but if in the classic pendulum motion it is 3x the normal force of gravity on the far side.

Pariah164

May 9, 2008
Okay, seriously: I want a collaboration episode between the Daily Drop/LRR crew and the guys from Is It A Good Idea To Microwave This? from Youtube. It would be epic.

Back on topic, great video. The freakout over the fail drop? Priceless.

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
Light bulbs are structurally the strongest at the top (not "strong", just strongest.), and weakest... mostly everywhere else. :p
Hence the bounce when it hit the top and the easy smash when it hit the side...

Still, the response to the lack of a break was pretty funny :p

Ishadus

Apr 3, 2010
lol thank you so much for including the reactions at the first failure. That was great :p

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
You know, with that sort of behind-the-scenes insight, I would love to see you sucking up the mess with a high-powered vacuum in slo-mo.

Anyone?

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
Guys, this is failblog material.
Pariah164 said:
Okay, seriously: I want a collaboration episode between the Daily Drop/LRR crew and the guys from Is It A Good Idea To Microwave This? from Youtube. It would be epic.

Actually, LRR has microwaved many things. Including lightbulbs...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qp6CfPoDAU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3PE_yoQ52k

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
"What the f--" "Seriously?!" "No way!!!"
I couldn't believe it myself.
Maybe it was because Paul dropped it upside-down and it survived by bouncing on its tiny nub on top?

Eric the Orange said:
sethzard said:
It's funny how you hear Graham shouting "no way" when it survives the 1st drop.
I believe that was Jer but I could be wrong.
I thought that was Alex, actually.

goddz001 said:
when my sister asked me what i was watching and i showed her. she said "that is such a waste of time" :3
You should've shown her the salt+pepper episode. Or the Santa candle one.

Pariah164

May 9, 2008
praetor_alpha said:
Pariah164 said:

Actually, LRR has microwaved many things. Including lightbulbs...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qp6CfPoDAU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3PE_yoQ52k
See, I was not aware of this. THE MORE YOU KNOW~

Failhammer

Dec 30, 2008
I loved the reactions to the first drop. I was hoping it wouldn't break the second time, if only to watch them loose it and go for the crowbar.
praetor_alpha said:
Wouldn't be the first time LRR made it onto failblog. :p

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
First drop: I was like 'what?!' then I heard the music cut, it was that bad?
Priceless reactions are priceless, you guys did prove science and physics that first drop accidentally.
Second Drop: beautiful breaking.