Daily Mail Puts Two and Two Together, Gets Gay Spider-Man

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
They're replace peter parker and he's not white and he might be gay at some point. Comic publishers are trying to send their readers into convulsions aren't they?

The writers better be sure they don't try to push things with the new guy too far to fast. Comic book readers are known for taking some thing kind of hard and it would be a good idea to take things a little slow to prevent a meltdown.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009

Does it really matter if Spider Man is gay or not,he's still fucking Spider Man for crying out loud. It's like complaining about a character's legs being too long (Sonic 4 Joke)

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Black/Hispanic and gay. All they need is for him to be a cross dresser and they have covered all the bases. lol. Racism itself is racist.

A normally white character is now black. DEAL WITH IT.
A normally black character is now white. RACIST FUCK!

I think making him black/hispanic is racist because its to obvious. Blade was an awesome character as was Storm and also Spawn. All great in their own right and their colour was never an issue. Just they were interesting characters. I honestly think white people are pre programmed to feel guilt over anything deemed racist and act over the top to fix it - regardless if its racist or not. In a world were the president is a black man....racist should be less of an issue now. An racists should be seen as the same pathetic retards as homophobes and those that think woman are lower class to men.

SirAxel

Aug 21, 2009
I just lost all hope in the Marvel Ultiamte universe.This just....no I'm gonna go back and reread all of the Ultimate Spider-man comics before this and pretend that this autrocity never happened.They better bring Peter back before I finish my reading seassion or someone is gonna get hurt.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Dexter111 said:
What the fuck is wrong with DC/Marvel and their whole "rebooting" and "color/flavor of the month" thing?
Peter Parker existed since 1962, there's probably people that have been following his stories since they were children back then for near 50 years now, WHY in gods name does he have to be black or hispanic or whatever now all of a sudden? Why don't they just... oh I don't know, maybe create a NEW character and let him be all that instead of retconning and changing everything every few damn years like they're on their period? Not to mention them doing it even to Mythological/Historical characters e.g. see Thor or the whole "Hydra" thing on Captain America, because apparently Nazis aren't in anymore xD
The Spiderman that has existed since '62 still exists and is flourishing, this is an alternate universe spiderman (ultimate). This is also a NEW character taking up the mantle of a dead (ultimate) spiderman, it's not like he's magically replacing him via retcon.

Also Hydra makes sense, they've always been an off-shoot/evolution of nazism, just they allow a nice target for Captain America that doesn't denigrate the good work of all the Allied soldiers that fought in WW2.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Why make Spiderman black at all?

I'm all for diversity, but are people really so stupid to overlook the obvious fact that a NEW HERO, of a different ethnicity, would be considerably more impacting than just re-skinning a classic white hero? Did nobody remember what happened the last time they did this?

Mass complaining, market fail, forgotten within a decade.
I think ethnically diverse heroes deserve a little more than that.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
theflyingpeanut said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Why the fuck is Spiderman black now anyway? Yeah yeah, diversity and tolerance and all that bullshit. Im all for them, but making Spiderman black? Seems like a marketing ploy more than anything else. But hell, they know it, I know it and everyone else does to. Just a shame this will probably flop in a horrible way.

EDIT: Oh, and I almost forgot. Daily Mail is always good for a laugh, but not much else. This is a fine example indeed.
Well, Peter Parker died, and this kid took on the mantel. As for why he's black; well, why not? Why should he be white? Why should he be he? If he's well written, then will it really matter?
This guy gets it. It does not matter. It isn't like they made Peter Parker black. I could see an argument then. Or if they made Thor Filipino, something like that.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
So what's his religious affiliation? Hin-jew? Nah, The Guild-references aside, I find it strange that they killed off petey, but if the new guy is well-written, then hey, awesome.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
WolfThomas said:
Also Hydra makes sense, they've always been an off-shoot/evolution of nazism, just they allow a nice target for Captain America that doesn't denigrate the good work of all the Allied soldiers that fought in WW2.
Not to mention action figures they don't have to put swastikas on.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
If posters before weren't clear before: superhero comics exist to manipulate (not necessarily pander) readers who want stories that never end, always remain the same. Efforts to 'diversify' a franchise (because that's what they are to them, franchises, not characters) serve two purposes: generate hype through aggravating the existing fanbase and trying to grab any shred of interest from the non readers. Replies above exemplify both groups.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
It feels like if you're white, heterosexual, single, able-bodied, law-abiding, English and live in England you have no rights at all.
- Simon, Barnstaple, UK., 3/8/2011 4:02

Quote from the DM comments site about spiderman, also the most stupid thing I have witnessed all week...HOW IS THIS RELEVANT?! HOW!? How is the replacement of a fictional white man with an equally fictional black guy in any way or form an attack on the kind of person that mentions there fucking sexuality just to make sure noone thinks otherwise, Is this honestly how stupid people are? Im not Left vs Right here, Left has equal amounts of idiocy, but Christ on a bike.

Is this how political debate will go now? One or 2 catchphrases used as a one size fits all get out of learning comment...

Some Swedish guy built a reactor in his kitchen? What happens when you give gay disabled Muslims all of my money, its PC gone mad!

You don't like that they gave that job to a black guy just 'cus hes black? RACIST! YOUR WORST THEN HITLER!

And last of all "able bodied"? Wait, they hate Disabled people now?! What the hell?

Harveypot

Feb 20, 2011
This shouldn't be news anyway but Russell Howard's song sums up what the Daily Mail are like very well.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Yeah, but how well is he going to be represented? Is he going to be a carefully written character that explores diversity and other related issues, or is he going to be a tiresome compilation of stereotypes that will make me want to bite something?
What concerns me more is the "maybe black, maybe gay, maybe both" thing. It bothers me that the two things are treated as relevant to and associated with each other just because they're both minorities. Could be trying to do too much all at once. Of course, I tend to lean on the paranoid side and could easily be reading more into this than is there, but what really bothers me is the question I will ask in the next paragraph.
How the hell does Spider-Man "pass his mantel"? What, does he have a collection of radioactive and/or genetically altered spiders just on hand to bite the next contender on the off chance something happens to him?

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
What's the best way to scare a person who is arachnophobic, claustrophobic, and homophobic? Lock him in a closet with Spiderman.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
The thing that makes it an example of tokenism and political correctness rather than a laudable effort is that they are taking an established character, and changing it so it isn't the character anymore for the sake of PR.

It would be a laudable effort if they had instead decided to launch and properly write/support a new minority character, but that is not what they are doing. I am not a supporter of changing the ethnicity of well established characters, and there is no way to deny it being a politically correct PR stunt.

I would point a finger at DC Comics and it's "Wildstorm" universe as an example of doing things right. It didn't just take a bunch of established DC characters and decide "well in this continuity, we're going to modify all of the long running characters to be more politically correct", rather they created a whole new set of characters. Apollo and The Midnighter from The Authority are gay, one of them is even a fetishist who touches on that lifestyle occasionally for those who might practice it. Swift from the same team is Bi-sexual. In Gen-13 we have Sarah Rainmaker who is a Native American and a Lesbian. In Stormwatch we have Jackson King/Battalion who is black (and married to a white woman... Christine Trelane). It goes on from there.

Understand that many of these characters have remained in publication for over a decade now, so we're not talking about a fly by night occurance. Sure someone might sit there and say "well, I don't like these characters and I'm a member of the group of the group in question" but members of every "group" are going to dislike anything representing them, nothing is universally lauded. Obviously the continued existance of the characters, spin off universe, and titles proves that there is an audience... and one can compare it to other seemingly more well known characters who have failed to hold down their own book (or even a place in a team book) for any appreciable length of time.

I've felt for a long time that Wildstorm deserves more love than it gets, and have actually felt that perhaps playing with that universe/Jim Lee's work might be a better track for DC's media development. Rather than trying to make "Superman" more relevent and "appealing" for example and re-doing the whole character and his universe, perhaps playing around with characters that are already in that kind of universe (to an extent) might work. I could say more about it, but this is a side point.

The basic point here is that Spider-Man represents a very specific person, as opposed to a job description. Spider-Man is a white guy named Peter Parker. If Peter Parker dies, so does spidey. Trying to re-invent him is a mistake, especially when it's being done as a politically correct stunt. At least most alternative "Spider Man" ideas have involved a compelling story and a massive change in style/world/time period, in this case there is no real other purpose to this change other than to have a half breed minority as Spider-man to presumably get media attention, and attract minority readers with the news. Really, even Marvel doesn't have much to say about it except for the character's ethnicity, and that's a problem. At least with things like "Spider Man: Noir" and such the whole point was a total change in setting and style.

Really, Marvel needs to pull a "Wildstorm" and create and support some entirely new characters, and leave the established characters alone.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Therumancer said:
The basic point here is that Spider-Man represents a very specific person, as opposed to a job description. Spider-Man is a white guy named Peter Parker. If Peter Parker dies, so does spidey.

Really, Marvel needs to pull a "Wildstorm" and create and support some entirely new characters, and leave the established characters alone.

Lots of heroes have very personal origins, and yet mantels get passed all the time. Batman has about as personal an origin story as you can get, and yet there have been at least three of them so far, as well as something like five or six Batgirls, and nearly as many Robins. Outside the Bat-family you've got all the different Flashes and Green Lanterns, and loads of other, less high-profile characters. Superman had four alternate versions at once for a while.

It's less common in Marvel comics, but again, it's not like it's never happened. Different people have worn the Captain America costume, the Iron Man costume, and yes, even the Spider-Man costume. We're up to Captain Marvel number six, by the way, and the second Human Torch died quite recently.

It's all well and good to say that the likes of DC and Marvel should leave established characters alone, but the fact of the matter is that they don't. In fact, they never stop messing around with them, and yet the world of comics remains white as the driven snow, with a few exceptions. The reason that anyone is reporting on the black/gay angle at all - and I'm including myself in that - is that it is almost unheard of for such a high profile character to be anything other than Caucasian, despite countless opportunities for more diversity over the years.

MatthewGeer

Just some guy, you know?
Nov 21, 2010
Give it a year or two, and I bet we'll either find out there was one more Peter Parker clone left over from the Ultimate Clone Saga, or just pull Ultimate Scorpion out of his jar. (Actually, Scorpion vs the new Spider-Man could be interesting, given that in the Ultimate universe, Scorpion is an mentally unstable genetically modified clone of Peter Parker.)

GruntOwner

Feb 22, 2009
ImprovizoR said:
Why would anyone want to kill off Peter Parker anyway? Wouldn't that enrage the fans? I know it's Ultimate, but still. It seems a bit extreme to kill off an iconic character in any universe.
Google "Ultimatum". I'll wait.

OT: Meh, it's ultimate. I don't particularly care for that part of the story so let's move onto the other part of the story. The Daily Mail. Meh, it's the Daily Mail.