Dan Aykroyd Calls GameStop Customers

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dan Aykroyd Calls GameStop Customers

People who preordered the new Dan Aykroyd [http://www.ghostbustersgame.com/] called to remind them to pick up their games.

Okay, so it wasn't actually Aykroyd on the phone. But gamers who put in a preorder for the game did get to hear a recorded message from the actor reminding them to pick up their games and to trade in their old, used crap while they were at it.

"Greetings fellow paranormal enthusiasts," the message said. "This is Dan Akyroyd, speaking to you through the miracle of 16-bit voice recording to remind you that your copy of Ghostbusters will be at your local GameStop [http://www.gamestop.com/] by tomorrow. Don't forget to bring in your used games because you'll receive an extra 30 percent credit for games you trade toward Ghostbusters. Thank you, and see you on the other side."

For those who don't know - and shame on you for it - Aykroyd portrayed Dr. Raymond Stantz in the hit third Ghostbusters film [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087332/], currently in development.

It's a nice touch but part of me can't help but wonder why Aykroyd, who surely doesn't need the money, is shilling for GameStop. I'm well past the age at which selling out is viewed as somehow morally reprehensible but it still lingers in my mind as something people do because they have to, not because they want to. I prefer to think that he's getting behind the game so much because he honestly sees it as the next "real" chapter in the Ghostbusters story. Whatever the case, for most people it was probably the first GameStop reminder they've ever actually listened to.

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/06/dan-akroyd-calls-ghosbuster-preorders-begs-for-trade-ins.ars]

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Malygris said:
I prefer to think that he's getting behind the game so much because he honestly sees it as the next "real" chapter in the Ghostbusters story.
I guess that means you're not counting the movie they are working on then.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
oliveira8 said:
So..when are we getting a good Blues Brothers Game?
Now THAT would be an awesome reminder to have you pick up your game.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Thats what I have been asking all along.

OT it is like the stunt they did for the first film when if you rang up the Ghostbuster number a recording of him and Bill Murray played.

Leorex

Jun 4, 2008
wait, so this guy is going to call me. thats awsome, im going to have to get a speech ready. and sit by the phone for the next 10 months. its going to be awsome.

EDIT: what should i talk to him about.

yeah_so_no

Sep 11, 2008
Tenmar said:
I was always more of a Winston fan for some reason. I really don't know why considering I have no way to relate to Winston at all. Maybe his name is fun to say more than the others.

Egon!
Stantz!
Winston!
I was always big on Egon, with Ray second.

All that said, when I started watching the older prison drama Oz a few weeks, I went, "Hey, it's Winston!" when Ernie Hudson appeared. He will always be Winston to me.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
oliveira8 said:
When I finally manage to resurrect John Belushi. It's only a matter of time...

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
sheic99 said:
I guess that means you're not counting the movie they are working on then.
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize Aykroyd was concurrently developing a time machine so he could go back in history and release the movie before the game came out.

That's fantastic news. I sure hope I liked it.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
mentor07825 said:
EDIT: Alec Mason, "Don't forget to pick up your pre-ordered copy of Red Faction: Guerrilla at Gamestop and fight for our freedom on Mars. Better to be red then dead!"

Awsome.
YES!

Or, Alex Mercer: Don't forget to pick up your copy of Prototype from Gamestop, and discover the truth now. Or else you shall be consumed...
I'm starting to like this trend...

Ezio from Assassin's Creed 2, "Don't forget to capture your copy of 'Assassin's Creed 2' from Gamestop, the Creed shall welcome you for your first initiation..."

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
That's pretty cool.

I don't know if he's selling out, maybe he just wants to support the game because he likes it.

I think people forget that actors have an interest in franchises based on films that they have been in.

I mean, if I was in a movie, and then they made a game about it, I'd be on-board because if a movie-to-game transition happens, more people are interested if original actors, directors, etc... are involved. Also, having a vested interest in the franchise, I'd do what I could to get the customer involved, even if it involved a recording in the reminder call.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Ozzy Ozbourne: *gibberish* "Brutal Legend, Gamestop" *more gibberish* "now" *more gibberish*

-or Jack black could do it but we'd actually understand what he'd say.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
I'm liking this as well!

Kratos: Pick up God of War III or else I shall send you to the deepest pits of Hades! Oh, and don't forget to trade in your used games for credit.
Damnit, you're giving me less options.....

Uncharted 2 "Hey, this is Nathan Drake, get to Gamestop to pick up the treasure. After that, come back and help me hunt for Marco Polo's treasure!"

I'm running out of ideas!