Danish Movie Pirate Rats Himself Out

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I'm not sure if calling him a pirate is appropriate. The only thing he's copied are things he legally purchased. Here's more a cracker, because the crime he committed was cracking the DVD protection on those things he purchased.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
Well, this is smart, because it will set a legal precedent, right? It forces them to take an absolute position on the letter of the law. There may have been other channels for the guy to go through, such as writing his politicians and judges and such, but maybe he just exhausted all his options and this was his plan z. Kudos, random Danish guy. Go have a danish.

Mako144

Dec 16, 2008
While I do find is method daring and a good way to stir up action and support and I don't mean to undermine his message, now I'm curious to know what the prison's are like in Denmark.

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
Mako144 said:
While I do find is method daring and a good way to stir up action and support and I don't mean mean to undermine his message, now I'm curious to know what the prison's are like in Denmark.
They're good so it's not such a big deal.

shadowbird

Feb 22, 2007
Respect to the guy. Of course, this can go the wrong way and the court might decide in favor of the DRM law, but at least then it will be a clear-cut matter. Otherwise now it's a situation where you have one law encouraging people to make backup copies to protect their purchases, and another one that allows publishers to demand punishment (read: monetary compensation far in excess of actual product value) for the same "legal" copies.

It's like the carrot-and-stick thing, except that the carrot tempts the donkey to go one way and the stick slaps it to make it go in the exact opposite direction. In the donkey's case that would be considered animal abuse, but I guess human rights haven't gotten that far. :p

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Please explain what this has to do with the screenshot of "The Lost Vikings"
Either:

A) He made an illegal (maybe?) copy of a very old game in order to demonstrate the unreasonableness of enforcing copyright on intellectual properties that are no longer in circulation, which could pave the way for sweeping changes in the way that such rights are held and enforced, especially by corporate entities.

OR

B) Nothing.

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
Veylon said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Please explain what this has to do with the screenshot of "The Lost Vikings"
Either:

A) He made an illegal (maybe?) copy of a very old game in order to demonstrate the unreasonableness of enforcing copyright on intellectual properties that are no longer in circulation, which could pave the way for sweeping changes in the way that such rights are held and enforced, especially by corporate entities.

OR

B) Nothing.
C) Andy doesn't care that Vikings are from Norway.