Dante's Inferno

Bullet Alchemist

Apr 8, 2010
Dear fellow Escapists,
I'm currently doing a project at college on various games and would like to ask you fine connoisseurs in this field for a little bit of help. If any of your could post with responses to my question then I would be exceedingly grateful. The questions centre on the game Dante's Inferno so experience playing the game would be more than helpful.

1: Did you enjoy the game Dante's Inferno?

2: Do you think that a source material is vey helpful when designing a game?

3: Do you think that the game managed to keep enough elements of the source while creating a fun and enjoyable game?

4: Do you think that the techniques of using motion capture on young children to create realistic movements for child like enemys was good? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUcAIxDSPuU)

5: Do you think characters moved in realistic and appropriate ways?

6: Do you think that the game had enough different elements to stop it being repetitive?

7: Do you think that the age rating was appropriate for the game?

Thank you if you choose to help me. If I ever get from this course into the industry, I promise I'll keep an eye on here in order to try and improve tomorrow?s quality of gaming.

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
It was alright, although I can never play it when my parents are around since I'm trapped in lust.

Babies crawling out of giant breasts and prostitutes moaning in the background makes for awkward times.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
1. No
2. Not having to come up with a story line and a world can be very helpful. It can also kill your creativity. I'll say maybe.
3. No it did not. I kept thinking abut how much I'd rather be playing god of war. Though the elements they took from the source material were well done.
4. It was a good thing that they did that. It made the enemy more believable and helped it be disturbing.
5. ...No...
6. No. There was no variation in the combat. Mindless mashing of two buttons.
7. Yes.

Lord Xtheth

Apr 19, 2010
Yes I did, it was quite fun.

It really depends on the game. For a game like Dante's inferno, yes, for games like... DOAX maybe less so.

3: Do you think that the game managed to keep enough elements of the source while creating a fun and enjoyable game?
No, It kind of felt like it took the source material, took the vaguest of refferences and threw the rest into a fire.

4: Do you think that the techniques of using motion capture on young children to create realistic movements for child like enemys was good? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUcAIxDSPuU)
As interesting as it might be, while playing the game, I don't think that motion capturing or not would have made that much of a difference.

The character movement was alright. It seemed very fluid and for the most part natural

6: Do you think that the game had enough different elements to stop it being repetitive?
No. The game felt really repetitive, liniar and got old pretty quickly. It wasn't so bad that I can't play it again, its just not good enough to make me want to play another like it.
Also, I HATE QTEs now... HATE

Maybe. For the most part, M is a good rating for the game all around. The Nudity and violence is what the M rating is for... howver the giant floppy devil dong... ehhh that might have warrented the not-too-often seen AO rating.

Wondermint13

Oct 2, 2010
I just wanted to bash the shit out of demons and Dante's Inferno delivered that beautifully.
The historic and religious elements are always an entertaining factor and i'm glad computer games are still up for the challenge of portraying them.

The game was rather Adult wasnt it?

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Killing most of Hell with my trusty Death's Scythe, meeting a wide variety of historic characters and Greek/Roman legends, absolving or banishing certain souls I come across, and kicking Satan's ass in the end?

Yeah, I liked it. I could never play God of War without a Playstation, so Dante's Inferno was the stand-in for that. Wasn't the greatest game (the protagonist annoyed me, but the fighting was epic), but wasn't the worst game either. About all I have to say about it.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
I liked it a lot, actually. It was fun and I really enjoyed the scenery with it. Sure it was just like God of War, but it entertained me for a while.

Didn't really like the end levels though apart from the Satan boss battle. They just were very... bland and redundant. Like they decided they needed one more level before ending the game and threw in a bunch of awful challenge rooms.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
1)Not really. It was a huge amount of Meh.

2)It wasn't anything really great. The game barely kept to the source material at all. It just liked the setting and the idea behind it.

3)What elements? It just took the setting and the bare minimum of plot.

4)I honestly did not care how the children moved. I was more content with making them stop moving. You know, so they couldn't stab me any more.

5)Read number 4. While it may look nice at first, fast paced games like Dante's Inferno rarely let you sit and value how the characters move.

6)Absolutly not. The game grew lackluster rather quickly and brought nothing to the scene. There is a reason why we call it a bad God of War clone.

7)It had nudity, lots of blood and guts and violence everywhere. Yes I think it deserved an M rating. You usually get that when you put boss with no pants in the game.

darth.pixie

Jan 20, 2011
No, I did not. It was probably because I studied the poem to such depths that I can only see it as a political maneuver rather than a literal trip to hell.

It depends on the developers and source material. I doubt the game would have been made to such detail without the poem. In some cases it helps, in others it hinders.

The Forgotten Realms has a wide enough mythology to make dozens of games without repeating a location or theme. Bioware's Ferelden is rather limited so far, though.

I remember that Dante, in the poem, fainted twice. I don't know, really. I would have enjoyed it more had Dante not been Dante or if it would have been treated as an Orpheus and Eurydice rather than an evil Beatrice.

It felt a 'Dante's Inferno' only in name and NPC names, to me. And making Lucifer a major villain is so cliche, especially since in the poem, he was just ...there. Punishing and being punished.

It wouldn't really have mattered since I was mostly hacking away but I think it was a nice attention to detail.

I have nothing against the animations. They were complex, yet fluid.

Not exactly. There is a fine line between different enemies and attacks vs same enemies with a different face. The game did interrupt its killing monotony from time to time, but not enough.

Mature, right? Yes. I'm not sure if it was actually Adult but I have a skewed perception of things as I played worse as a kid.

Aug 1, 2010
Bullet Alchemist said:
Dear fellow Escapists,
I'm currently doing a project at college on various games and would like to ask you fine connoisseurs in this field for a little bit of help. If any of your could post with responses to my question then I would be exceedingly grateful. The questions centre on the game Dante's Inferno so experience playing the game would be more than helpful.

Thank you if you choose to help me. If I ever get from this course into the industry, I promise I'll keep an eye on here in order to try and improve tomorrow?s quality of gaming.
1: Yes. I loved it. It was much better than GoW 3. I don't really understand all the hate it get's. Sure it was ripoff, but when the ripoff is as good as the source if not better, that's not an excuse.

2: Probably not. I never read the source, but I can't imagine it being much like that.

3: Absolutely.

4: It was amazing. Creepy as hell, and yet very realistic.

5: Yes. I can't name a current-gen game that doesn't.

6: Very much so.

7: Sure. It wasn't THAT bad.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
1. Yes I did-ish.
2. I think it can be, but an original story is always more interesting.
3. The amount of artistic licence taken was through the roof. They very often sacrificed accuracy for fun. The source was used really for character names, bosses, and the environment (The bosses and the environment were the best thing about the game)
4. The children didn't feel like ex-babies, so they weren't really that creepy. They also killed the effect by having them all over the place until the end of the first 35 minutes, then got rid of them all together.
5. Not realistic, but I would say appropriate. Most of the enemies were weird, fantastical beasts that moved the way you would expect them to. A good example of this is in the "Gluttony" level.
6. Definitely not. The games biggest flaws were it's short length and how repetitive it was. Every QTE was the same, and the monsters were overused to death. The puzzles did well to stay fresh though.
7. I can't imagine it being anything less than an M.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
1.)It was okay. Not a great game but a decent God of War clone.
2.)It depends on the game and the source.
3.)Other than having a Character named Dante, a spirit guide named Virgil, and being set in Hell it really didn't have much to do with the book.
4.)I don't have a problem with it. It's not like they killed kids irl.
5.)Yeah, that part was well done.
6.)Not really. It's list of moves was okay but the game mostly consisted of going from room to room killing large and repetitive amounts of enemies.
7.)Yes. The M rating was well deserved.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Yes, I thought it was very artistic and had good if unoriginal gameplay.

I would certainly imagine so yes.

I would be unable to say as I am not hugely familiar with the source.

Yes, I thought it was a great idea.

Yes.

6: Do you think that the game had enough different elements to stop
it being repetitive?
It was repetitive, but I was generally enjoying the exploration of the world it was set in, which although by no means beautiful was very interesting.

Hell, yes.