Daredevil Film Rights Returning to Marvel Studios

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Jandau said:
Am I the only one who thinks the fact that Marvel has to pray other studios give them back the rights to their own IP is absurd? I mean, I know that's how the law works, but the very fact that Marvel can't just say "Sorry guys, we won't be renewing your rights to Spider-Man" and then get their IP back after a period of time, but rather the studio that licences the IP can keep renewing the rights indefinitely as long as they make at least SOME kind of poop-fest every few years (say, like with the latest Spider-Man movie) is quite frankly just wrong.

Yes, the studios that bought the licences should be protected so Mavel can't just yank the licence out from under them in the middle of production, but the fact that Marvel can't just get their shit back and has to hope someone else fucks up or gives up makes it feel like the law is retarded...
I thought of it the same way. Than someone described it to me like this[footnote]This is paraphrasing[/footnote]:

Think of it like a loan. A bank loans money to a person, and that person can use that money to buy a car. If that person keeps paying back the loan, no problem. If that person however doesnt pay back the loan, the car gets taken away.
Ignoring the over-simplification, just swap out a few words, and you get the same idea.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
Union Jack > All other street-level crime fighters. I actually think that a modern day Union Jack film, in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, would work pretty well. Marvel have already set themselves up for it, by giving the British guy from First Avenger the same name as the original Union Jack. The story would involve him becoming the Union Jack in post-war Britain and then handing the reins over to Joe Chapman in the present day, roughly like the origin story from the comics. A guest appearance from Captain America, just like in the comics, would add extra awesome.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Man you'd have to be blind not to see this coming!
Ha ha! Obvious pun. But good one, sir!
Mr. Omega said:
It should only take one look at my avatar for it to be clear that this makes me happy. DD is one of my favorite heroes. Personally, I hope that Carnahan and Marvel can work something out...
Hoping to see Bullseye in the movies again, huh? Well, considering what happened to him in the comics...
But yeah, I'm expecting Marvel Studios to do right by the Man Without Fear. The comic's been tons o' fun since Mark Waid took over writing.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
I'm really happy about this since I really like daredevil and think he is awesome. Let's hope the Marvel
film can kick ass.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Bullfrogg said:
Vault Citizen said:
Did Marvel get the ghost rider movie rights back yet? If so then it really is just spiderman and. X-men that need to fall
No, there was a Ghost Rider movie earlier this year. But since it was even worse than the already pretty bad first one, it bombed in the box office. So in all likelihood Marvel will be getting the rights back to Ghost Rider as soon as possible now.
I actually enjoyed the first Ghost Rider movie, it wasn't a great flick, but certainly not bad. However, and this is me speaking as a Ghost Rider fan, that second movie was absolutely a travesty. It still boggles the mind how any director could actually look at the finished product and say: "yeah, this is good".

I am really hoping that Ghost Rider returns to Marvel, so that they can give the poor guy some dignity and a proper movie.

piclemaniscool

Dec 19, 2008
"And nothing of value was lost"
-Fox

Now the question rises, would it be worth it having DareDevil somewhere in the Avengers 2 movie? Personally I'm on the fence there. On one hand, hooray they have the character back, on the other, would they really WANT to make a movie with him? Or even as a supporting role in something sounds iffy.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Thank god. If the movie reverts back to Marvel, that means more continuity in the films. No more not being allowed to mention someone just because they are attached to a license owned by another studio. If the movies are going to be bad, I would rather have them be bad by a studio that owns all the properties and can at least mention Tony Stark in a Daredevil film (as an example).

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I am one of the apparent few that enjoys the Director's Cut of Daredevil. But, well, I'm glad Marvel has the rights back.

The thing is, I keep hearing people going "will he now be in Avengers 2"? Think BIGGER people.

Marvel could do some great things now, like an Iron Fist & Luke Cage (Heroes for Hire) movie, as those two have crossed paths with Daredevil quite frequently lately.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
I like this. Daredevil is like a mix of Punisher and Spidey. Which means incorporating him into the Avengers should work perfectly. We can finally stop acting like Black Widow is a superhero!

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
good news! now get spidy and the fantastic four back and ill be really really impressed :)
by all serious now its nice that they have daredevil back but chances are that he wont be a part of the avengers verse cause... seriously its daredevil he started running with the avengers only like a year ago he wont be joining them soon...
however i would love to see the kingpin in like a heroes for hire movie or something that would be awsome...
so overall good start!

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Good to hear. I think a good Daredevil movie is ENTIRELY possible. As long as Ben Affleck is kept as far away from this as possible, who knows?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
'NC-17' version? Oh god if they make this an R movie, ugh... God damn companies are marketing 'serious' movie with serious issues but setting it in a comic universe. I question the logic of that, but more then that I question why they have toys for these fucking movies. Why the hell do we have 'The Dark Knight Rises' toys when kids shouldn't even see the movie? What message are you sending to people with your bad attempts at merchandising? Your simultaneously trying to say how grown up superheros can be while saying they are for kids. Make up your damn mind!

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Kumagawa Misogi said:
So apart from Thanos and Galaxus who else are BIG enemies for the Avengers to fight other than whole alien races of fodder?
There are tons of villains to choose other than Thanos and Galactus (who can't even be used due to being a Fantastic Four character). The problem is a lot of them are relatively unknown, everybody knows who Spider-Man fights, everyone knows who the X-Men fight but not that many people are aware of the huge team scale villains that The Avengers fight. Tell me, have you ever heard of Kang the Conqueror?

piclemaniscool said:
Now the question rises, would it be worth it having DareDevil somewhere in the Avengers 2 movie?
No, not at all. It is just nice to have him back, to be able to mention him offhand or give him his own film. Marvel has an insane cast of characters, no reason to throw Daredevil into a film where he doesn't really belong just because they can.

Sovereignty said:
I like this. Daredevil is like a mix of Punisher and Spidey. Which means incorporating him into the Avengers should work perfectly. We can finally stop acting like Black Widow is a superhero!
Oh come on, don't sell my girl short! Marvel could have incorporated dozens of other characters that they already had the rights to, that would fit better into an Avengers movie than Daredevil. I think you'll have to face the fact that Black Widow was there because someone wanted her there.